Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Getting Stickers to Stick

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Getting Stickers to Stick
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a customer having trouble getting stickers to stick to these new fiberglass/plastic portable toilet doors. I told him "Sure, I'll show you how." I washed one with Dawn and water, rinsed it and dried it. Wiped it with alcohol. Pulled out a torch and flamed it. Put a sticker on and it felt good. Next day, corners are lifting and it's easy to peel. The stickers are supposed to stick, only I'm stuck.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6949 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Rick. It sounds like you did all of the proper preparation, so it would come down to the type of adhesive on the stickers you were attempting to apply. There is a specific type of adhesive for "low-e plastics" and aluminum & stainless steel surfaces. It's more aggressive and holds much better on those problematic surfaces. Different manufacturers provide these under various stock numbers, so knowing the properties of that surface substrate is important, when ordering the vinyl that those stickers are printed on, or cut from.

Hope this information is of some assistance.

--------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail: kjmlhenry@rogers.com

Why do I get all those on-line offers to sell me Viagara, when the only thing hardening is my arteries ?

Posts: 2704 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Arnott
Resident

Member # 215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Arnott   Email John Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read something about portable outhouses once...on their website say that it takes a special kind of sticker material to work properly. That's why I just skip those kind of jobs. Next!

--------------------
John Arnott
El Cajon CA
619 596-9989
signgraphics1@aol.com
http://www.signgraphics1.com

Posts: 1449 | From: El Cajon CA usa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!