Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Lumber Prices and Mezzanines

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lumber Prices and Mezzanines
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been trying to stay away from the lumber yard but, had to buy some PT lumber to build an outdoor sign. Wasn't too much so that didn't hurt too bad. Meanwhile, I've finally gotten around to building a mezzanine in the shop. Fortunately, I had purchased the materials back in 2019, before the inflation hit.

I heard on the news that lumber prices just took a 40% nosedive but, a quick search on Lowes website sure doesn't reflect that. Hopefully they'll get around to marking it down so I can finish the project.

This section is 50' long x 13.5' wide. The next section I hope to build will be 31' x 16.5'. This will add about 1200 ft floorspace I can use to store substrates and tools I don't use that often. I can access it with an old spiral stair I bought second hand and take bigger stuff aloft with my old forklift.

I'll be installing pegboard for hanging small stuff, making some new shelved and what not. Possibly will be building a couple more CNC machines later. I'm pretty excited about the extra breathing room. [Smile]
 -
I used 2x6's for the outer load bearing walls.
 -
adding blocking greatly increases stability, rigidity and strength as well as providing a nail surface for the sheathing. This is a view of the doorway to the paint shop. It will be separated from the rest of the shop by a roll door.
 -
 -
lifting one of the beams in place
 -
I chose a spiral stair because of the smaller footprint
 -
already moving junk up there

[ July 01, 2021, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7419 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Author's Homepage   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love the spiral staircase.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 4013 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PatRaap
Resident

Member # 4290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PatRaap   Author's Homepage   Email PatRaap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree Alicia, the spiral staircase is a cool idea. Look forward to seeing the finished area!

--------------------
Patricia A. Raap
Raap Signs
2615 Arthur
Coopersville, MI 49404
616-677-0158
pat@raapsigns.com

Posts: 624 | From: Coopersville, MI 49404 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great addition! Sure looks like a place that might get too hot to handle. Doesn't electronics like CNC machines need a cool space? Ever thought about making an elevator?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6893 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys!
Yes Rick, It gets sweltering hot here. The humidity makes it feel like a sauna. But I have no choice; it would cost a fortune to A/C this place.. The old Shopbot seems to handle the heat ok but it's tough on computers.

I thought about building an elevator using some I-beam, some steel pulleys/wheels and an electric truck winch. But since I got the forklift, I put that on the back burner. And If I need the space I can just move the forklift outside. Still a thought though.

Picked up the old lift for $2500. It runs good but has needed a few minor repairs. Right now it's down waiting on me to fix the brakes but Fortunately I had the farm tractor for lifting stuff until it's back in service.
https://scontent-bos3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/115745079_3447696595242566_8552962438104788891_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=KcgCfzBCO-kAX8JqeMK&_nc_ht=scontent-bos3 -1.xx&oh=051dc454596bbce94c712aba3ec6e628&oe=60E47CAD

It's a '79 model, powered by a Chrysler "slant six" engine. I painted it Caterpillar Yellow so it would look a little more presentable around the shop.
https://scontent-bos3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/116436993_3447698071909085_1288123454709369548_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=8qWsELsbYhIAX8Bmptk&_nc_ht=scontent-bos3 -1.xx&oh=3a742e74bbb70fd3e5e44ae8993fd7bf&oe=60E418B2

[ July 02, 2021, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7419 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wayne, many years back we traded in a new Chrysler product piece of junk wanting to buy something sturdy and dependable. We bought a 65 Dart. I remember a rainy morning and the phone rang with my wife telling me she went to start the car to bring the baby to a doctors appointment and heard a strange clunking sound and stopped, opened the hood and said there was a problem with the engine mounts and it fell over. I went to the machine shop next door do my shop and told old Bill and he grabbed a tool box and we jumped in his old Ranchero driving ten miles back into the forrest to my place. It had been raining for a week and was lightly raining at the time. We arrived and both jumped out and without saying a word, Bill laid in the mud and slid under while I opened the hood. We were looking at each other and both started laughing loud as we saw this slant six looking just as it's supposed to...leaning over. I went inside and started it and he slid out. We then went into the house and enjoyed a cup of joe and continued chuckles and Megan went on to the doctor.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6893 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hahaha. Yeah they do look kind of funny leaning over like that.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wayne, great looking mezzanine. Nice and strong.

The spiral staircase is cool.

Rick, that story is hilarious.

Peace,
Bob

www.artisansignanddesign.com

--------------------
"The 3-4 minute mark of "Freewill" by Rush.

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1927 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Thanks Bob

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About 1969 or 1970, when I was driving my Dad's 61 Ford Econoline van out in the country of Northern Virginia, there was a loud bump and the engine quit. I was in the middle of the road and used the starter motor to bring it out of the way.

I brought a friend to help me fix it. We took the doghouse off and he looked at the engine and asked me, "Does Ford make a slant six?"

On that engine, the motor mounts were bolts that went straight into the side of the engine. One had failed and the engine was laying on its side. We jacked it up and put a screwdriver into the bolt hole to hold it in place. After replacing the distributor which got crushed under the engine and repairing bent carb and clutch linkage, it cranked right up. Of course, we also replaced the screwdriver with the correct motor mount bolt.

I'll never forget "Does Ford make a slant six?"

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5131 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

HAHAHAHA I guess in a roundabout way they made a slant six.. That was some good redneck engineering David. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where's the 'Like' button? ! [Wink]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7031 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

[Smile] thanks Ian

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!