Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Awning trouble (again)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Awning trouble (again)
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I appreciate all the info I received on my earlier questions. I felt well equipped and trundled over to the job ready to do battle. I had obtained a sample of the sunbrella fabric from the awning guy and the techniques worked quite well.
When I got to the job I found that the "new" sunbrella was nothing like the sample I'd been given. That was the old covering. This stuff is very "hairy". Like trying to apply vinyl to a shaved dog. I tried heat as a helper and it didn't help at all.
I'm flusterated. I can't get the job down and on a table, but that wouldn't help the texture of the covering. even orange masking tape won't stick to it. I'm considering shaving the hairs off to get down to the base material. (Stop laughing!)
WHat's the answer, other than hand lettering with a pounced pattern??
Jer, signguy@turlocksigns.com

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Posts: 250 | From: Turlock, CA 95380, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Arnott
Resident

Member # 215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Arnott   Email John Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only way that I have found is to just pounce and letter 3 coats.....bill accordingly! There doesn't seem to be any alternative.

--------------------
John Arnott
El Cajon CA
619 596-9989
signgraphics1@aol.com
http://www.signgraphics1.com

Posts: 1445 | From: El Cajon CA usa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not seen their new material. I laughed when reading shaving, but then again, I think one of those electric shavers might be worth a test patch. Not that I'm familiar with shavers though.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6882 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried Fab Tac? https://fabtac.com/

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6882 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was called after the awnings were all installed (there are six). Fabtec requires ironing and the shapes will not allow this. If the awnings were removed I might be able to work over a table end but I haven't been able to get this to happen. I think that the owner/customer and the awning guy think my expertise is a degree in magic and I can just make the lettering "appear". I certainly know I can make it disappear.

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Posts: 250 | From: Turlock, CA 95380, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aerosol spray can in a graffitti script font? [Wink]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7027 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice idea but I can't get the mask to stay down either. That's my quandry.

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

can you clamp a stiff board behind the fabric?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

I made a board-and-handle to hold behind...but the problem is that the vinyl won't stick to the fabric. Too much fuzz.

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Just letter it and be done. You do know how to do that.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

Ron Percell
Merchant

Member # 399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron Percell   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Percell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prime letter areas with varnish based Gold size. Gold size will vulcanized to texture well, and has great expansion and contraction value.

I used this successfully on Rhino-lined surfaces also. Once Gold size is dry apply your graphics or vinyl.

--------------------
Ron Percell
Percell Signs
707-769-0639
Petaluma, California

Letterhead Sign Supply

Home of the MicroMeet!
Percell Signs Web Site
About the Author
Ron Percell

Posts: 922 | From: Petaluma,California,U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've lettered over a thousand Sunbrella awnings the last couple decades but I haven't run into any "hairy" material yet. That doesn't mean I won't and it also doesn't mean that my technique that I'll outline below will work.

I use high performance cast vinyl as my stencil material. It has the flexibility to conform the best. I also use a hair dryer to help stick it down. Wrap material works well. I prefer it to FabTac because I can also use it for lettering and it doesn't leave a sticky residue like FabTac sometime does in my experience.

I paint two "primer" coats of 100% acrylic that is the same color as the background. Once the first coat dries, it helps keep the vinyl stuck down.

I paint three coats of the finish color. After the first coat, I lightly sand the surface with some open mesh drywall abrasive.

I generally use Behr Premium Plus from Home Depot since it has a 2 hour recoat time.

I hope this helps... and I hope I don't run into any Sasquatch Sunbrella like you have. My techniques might not work.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5130 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!