Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Just gave in

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Just gave in
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Author's Homepage   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did a plumber's truck. He wanted to give the letters a big squeeze. Now my smart side knew it would be wrong, but I sad to myself, "This is what the guy wants." Too many letters on one line all tall caps and squeezed up together. I wanted to explain to him about proper layout etc. But I just wasn't in the mood.
So I did it, he liked it and I got paid.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3979 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you look at what your life will be recognized by, would you rather be known as an artist or someone that valued others more highly than self? How will you want to be remembered in the short haul and the long? Are they different? Is this getting too far away from sign talk? Alicia, I think we all wrestle with this.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6860 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PatRaap
Resident

Member # 4290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PatRaap   Author's Homepage   Email PatRaap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate those kind of jobs, and usually try to talk them out of it. ....but sometimes it just isn't worth it! Glad you had a happy customer!

--------------------
Patricia A. Raap
Raap Signs
2615 Arthur
Coopersville, MI 49404
616-677-0158
pat@raapsigns.com

Posts: 620 | From: Coopersville, MI 49404 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have turned jobs like this down, depending on my mood and how busy I am. It's always interesting to see what they end up getting another shop to do. Sometimes the other shop talked them into doing it right and I'm thinking, why didn't they listen to me? Other times they get what they originally wanted. Or they just never get it done at all.

--------------------
Chuck Peterson Designs
San Diego, CA

Posts: 1087 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Author's Homepage   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well they already had someone else design their logo. So who I to try to change it. I should have done a youtube video on it. The guy is sitting next to me, together we are looking at my monitor. He's telling me, "Make it tigher!" Then as far as the secondary copy, he wanted a word her and there on the workbox. When he picked up his truck, he was so happy with the job, cause it was just like he wanted it, he gave me a tip. I mean, compared to some of the other stuff I see around town, It wasn't that bad, it just wasn't my style.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3979 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a guy who wanted 6 lines of text, with barely no space between lines, each line ,a different color, all on a 12” x 24” magnet. When I told him , it needed less wording and more
Blank space to be readable, he said, “I don’t tell you how to run your business, don’t tell me how to run mine”. I turned down the job. (He was a Handyman).

Diane

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1733 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Dianne, I would have asked him what school he went to because telling you how to run your business was exactly what he was doing. And he should have asked his school for a refund.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Argyle TX 76226

sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5435 | From: Argyle, TX | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!