Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Sandblast Rubber

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sandblast Rubber
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many years ago after experimenting with several brands and models I settled on one that I preferred. It is the Anchor Continental 155. It is a thick material with an acrylic adhesive. I'm finding it more difficult to get now and there seems to be an abundance of the 116 which has a solvent based adhesive. Is there anyone here that can tell me what differences to expect? Sometimes it's used on redwood, occasionally on HDU, sometimes stone or ceramic tiles. What do you folks like? I also like the 24" finding less waste and am scared to use the 30" with a friction fed plotter because of the material weight possibly causing inaccuracy during its traveling on the plotter.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6823 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rick,
I don't remember 155. I haven't done many sandblasted signs lately, but I did buy a new roll of 116 15" punched a few months ago. It worked well. I always give wood panels a coat of shellac after sanding the surface with 120 grit. I buy the 24" and hand cut it after applying to the panel for any letters over about 4".
It was few years back there was another company selling what they called "116" that was not good.
I think you are more experienced than me at these.

--------------------
Chuck Peterson Designs
San Diego, CA

Posts: 1075 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my experience 155 is the best bar none. Try calling Anchor Continental directly: that's how I got my last roll of it.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7409 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wayne, I did call them. It sounds like they make it to order. When enough suppliers order it, they make a batch and ship it. I'm ordering from a batch that is expected to be shipped in a month. I wonder if you know of anyone that might have some on the shelf right now?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6823 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry I don't, Rick. Come to think of it, that's what they did with my last roll. Hope it all works out good for you.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7409 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

I've ordered a few rolls of the 116 in both 15" and 30". It seems to be what is available. I think it's the same rubber with a different adhesive.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was trying to preview my post and accidentally sent it twice. I can't figure out how to delete it, so...

SEE NEXT POST!

[ August 08, 2020, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: David Harding ]

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5109 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recall trying to find a certain size and color of parchment paper for a screen printing job about forty years ago. I had been able to buy it previously but it suddenly was no longer available. I finally got through to the manufacturer hoping to find a supplier and they said they'd be able to accommodate me. I was pleased until their next question: How many boxcar loads do you want?

Sometimes, we're forced by circumstances to adapt to a different product. I much prefer Anchor Continental's sandmask products to those of Hartco but I've finally settled on some of the latter product line because I can get it when I need it.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5109 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

I used the Hartco long ago more so due to me liking the ideology of their family business than the product. I blast through their stuff way to quickly and the adhesive was not adequate either. I remember liking being able to see the tracer lines when hand cutting and really liked that. Hartco might work fine if doubled up, but who can afford that? David, I have a project that I'm working on requiring over 300 square feet of material with better than a thousand 1" letters. The substrate are porcelain tiles 12" square. Every tile different copy. Nice to do it all with the same mask and cut to the same depth.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!