Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Is anyone still alive? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Is anyone still alive?
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shirl and I are still healthy, wealthy and wise.

Well healthy, at least, and comfortably wealthy.

And maybe wise, since we retired 13 years ago.

Saving a ton of money by not going to bars and restaurants like we used to pre pandemic.

How are all of you all doing, health wise and business wise?

Lets keep this site alive and active!

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8906 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave, this is the first time in fifty years that we don't have work. We usually have forty jobs on the books to be currently working on. We've been catching up on gift signs for the non profits and doing home maintenance and improvements. Seems the construction trades are busy, but the trickle down from tourism is dead. We have seen a regular increase in businesses closing and vacant storefronts. I'm glad you guys are enjoying it and I hope things down south where you live remain peaceful.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6887 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Author's Homepage   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pandemic Slamdemic, I'm still at work. Finally slowed down a bit so we could enjoy the summer. The only time I am reminded of the flu bug is when I see people wearing masks at the market etc. Many places still not open all the way. You can't go to church but you can have a "Peaceful Protests" BYOB "Bring Your Own Bat"

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 4007 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hola Dave!

Doing well up here in the mountains. Summer is jamming along, the pond is hopping with wildlife, and the grand kids are healthy and happy!

Keeping busy with some creative jobs and putting the finishing touches on the new shop.

All is well.

Peace,
Bob

--------------------
"The 3-4 minute mark of "Freewill" by Rush.

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1926 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I be busy with small jobs. Have one large (for me) one and small tasks fill in. Since I work out of a half garage I don't need much to be full. Sure miss the old days and the 'Head meets. Jer/Artworx now at signguy@turlocksigns.com

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Posts: 250 | From: Turlock, CA 95380, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are still healthy here so far. I was deemed "nonessential" and had to close the shop for 10 weeks. I got a lot of honey dos done around the house. I reopened June 1 and I am almost caught up on all the projects that had been waiting through the 10 weeks. We are still required to wear masks anytime we are outside of our house.
Glad all of you are still doing OK.

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2341 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Summers are traditionally slow in our shop but we are keeping very busy on our own project - the Hazelnut Inn. It's a big ones we are now four years in with two more to go before we open. It is fun to lavish details on a project with no customer applying the brakes. It is garnering a lot of attention already!

I'm spending lots of time with the grandkids and working on a hot rod project 32 years in the making. It's a hand built from scratch 1910 Overland. We got it running this past week and I got my first test drive. FUN!

Our phone is still ringing but in the last three months it has just been tire kickers without a firm budget to commit. I am seeing a new client this morning with a promising project.... we'll see.

We are being customs at our house concerning COVID and going out only when necessary. The world has definitely changed - at least for the medium term.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8781 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back to full time work now since the first of June. I really enjoyed my time "sheltered in place" at home. I have a remote connection to my office computer so I was still productive, maybe even more so, by working at home. On my down time I decided to learn how to type correctly, which is coming along slowly from my previous one finger method.Also, got back to learning SketchUp but I've had to back off on that since we got so busy. Our employee who we furloughed decided to quit at the worst time. That's OK. I joined the ICAA (Institute of Classical Architecture and Art). I love the craftsmanship found in old buildings and the discipline they had back then to do a job the right way. Watching the videos on their website has renewed my commitment to doing quality craftsmanship in our sign business. I've also found a website with over 3000 educational courses for free from some very prestigious schools. I am currently taking a Harvard class on Neuroscience for fun. It is go at your own pace and am I glad of that! I find it fascinating. With so much new found stuff I don't miss going out much.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1300 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We’ve moved home from the storefront. Our lease was up at the right time and we made the jump. It’s quite a challenge going from 5000 sq.ft. To less than 1000, but we did it and are still working out the details. We were slammed with COVID-19 related decals, signs and sneeze guards, now the regular flow is re-starting. I’m so glad to be home based with a fraction of the overhead.

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4380 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha! Been a long time. I even remembered my password. Business was almost non-existent for us until 3 months after the hurricane, I guess people's roofs were the priority and by then the insurance companies were mailing out checks for signs. In the meantime, I started a new enterprise selling skid steer attachments and did pretty well with that for about a year, then it declined somewhat and the sign business picked up again. Covid19 happened and the sign business died once more but, fortunately, the equipment business roared to life again. Perhaps all the guys off work staying home with their tractors and time on their hands. Now that our summer slowdown is here, I have more time to catch up on some personal projects around the shop. Still kicking.

[ July 24, 2020, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7414 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carl Wood
Visitor
Member # 1223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carl Wood   Email Carl Wood       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Folks, the stuff is about gone by now, time to get back to work!

--------------------
Carl Wood
Olive Branch, Ms

Posts: 1393 | From: Olive Branch,MS USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felix Marcano   Author's Homepage   Email Felix Marcano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not dead yet. The island did real well by shutting down earlier than anyone, but now cases are picking up.

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Work hard, party like a tourist!

Posts: 2290 | From: Luquillo, Puerto Rico, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My biz has 3 parts- screenprinted t-shirts (which Mar-June is peak work) Car shows (which i had 10 shows to do do live art in the spring) and an event photobooth company (had about 10 weddings and events lined up for the spring) All that was shut down in March... so I took a part time job at Home Depot to help pay for the mountain of bills that kept coming in. Some work has started trickling in, a few freelance illustrations, a couple of photobooth events, etc.
My wife is a teacher- she had to learn how to use technology and video conference her lessons.
But we are still kicking.
My youngest son had some fever symptoms and had to be COVID tested- negative, but instead ended up having Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever from some tick bites.

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1738 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh WOW! Michael, I hope he has fully recovered.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7414 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Mann
Visitor
Member # 7161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Mann   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Outside of being MIA from the forum forever. Still kicking 🤔

--------------------
Kevin Mann
SignMann
Sacramento, Ca

Posts: 82 | From: sacramento california | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Mann
Visitor
Member # 7161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Mann   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Outside of being MIA from the forum forever. Still kicking 🤔

--------------------
Kevin Mann
SignMann
Sacramento, Ca

Posts: 82 | From: sacramento california | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy Pate
Resident

Member # 237

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy Pate   Email Judy Pate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are healthy here even though we had a large number of COVID 19 deaths (170) in the beginning. This was due to two funerals and one funeral home having a guest from the Atlanta area who had the virus.
I am with Alicia, business has never slowed down. Been making COVID related signs for the Georgia Department of Health along with lots of vehicle lettering.
Roger has been staying in because of many health issues. Churches, restaurants reopened in June. Construction companies were never closed. Thankfully Governor Kemp opened Georgia back up quickly.
Michael, hope you youngest is on the mend.
Judy

--------------------
Judy Pate
Signs By Judy
Albany, Georgia USA
229-435-6824

Live simply...Love generously...Care deeply...Speak kindly...Leave the rest to God.

Posts: 2630 | From: Albany,GA,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Author's Homepage   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still here slappin' down vinyl and brushin' on paint. No one I know has gotten C19. In my little acre it's "Mask Optional" Yesterday was a blast. I had 3 Sikhs drop off a truck. I was showing them my shop etc. The owner of the truck is a return customer, but his buddies hadn't seen me and my shop. Their English was really bad, but we were able to communicate.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 4007 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Modzel
Resident

Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Modzel   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Modzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I officially retired in Oct 2019 from Britten Banners. In Jan of 2020 I discovered that I had a non-malignant brain tumor which was mostly removed. Left my right side partially impaired but other than that and the fact that I can no longer drive, I'm doing OK.
Trying to resurrect an old Edge at the moment and sell a few decals for something to do and make some spending cash. Doing some oil painting in the winter and fishing in the summer. All in all, life is good and God is faithful.

--------------------
Bill Modzel
Mod-Zel screen Printing
Traverse city, MI
modzel@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1361 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe Chuck Peterson's Edge has some parts you can use. Of course, you'd have to dumpster dive for it 1500 miles away!

In late July, we went to Wisconsin to visit my 97 year old father and 104 year old stepmother, who only moved into assisted living last year. My dad wasn't feeling well so I took him to the walk in clinic and they sent him to ER. I was with him 9 hours and helped him with everything. The next day, the health department called me to say he had tested positive for Covid.

They told me to wait a few days to get tested to prevent a false negative. After waiting the appropriate time, I couldn't arrange a test in the next few days anywhere within 50 miles. I finally canceled our flight, extended the rent car and we all drove back to Texas.

My daughter arranged testing here and after waiting a week, we got our results--all of us are negative.

My stepmother tested positive and a nurse her family has paid to help her the last couple years is also positive. The nurse's family are all now ill with Covid, and reading between the lines, there's now more cases in the assisted living center. All staff and residents were tested and negative the middle of July. Our feeling is the virus came in from an asymptomatic contact, perhaps visiting medical staff.

My stepmother has been in the hospital four times the last couple weeks and my father has been in almost two weeks, much of the time too weak to even hold his phone. There's been times we didn't think he's survive the day but today, he's quite alert and off the oxygen. They said that if this improvement continues, he may go home the end of the week and back to his exercise routine of walking a quarter mile per day, which he now has to do on his patio. My stepmother is doing quite well also.

It's been a stressful few weeks.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5131 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jean, where is this website with over 3000 educational courses for free?

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 927 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dennis,
www.edx.org

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1300 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those who ask me: " Have you lived here all your life?" My reply is: " Hell no! I'm not dead yet."

Recently, my daugyhter-in-law sent me some informations on programs whereby you can donate your body for the purpose of medical research. Your remains are then delivered to a University Medical school for use in training future doctors and surgeons. I found some black humour in the approach of one institution. If you donate to the Harvard Medical School, you can get a free t-shirt that says: " I've been accepted at Harvard Medical School" The back reads: " As A Cadaver".

--------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail: kjmlhenry@rogers.com

Why do I get all those on-line offers to sell me Viagara, when the only thing hardening is my arteries ?

Posts: 2691 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A year since my recovery from open heart surgery. Doing great. Laurie and I are home based now. Loving the freedom. Our kids and grandkids are fine, life is good.

[ August 28, 2020, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: Duncan Wilkie ]

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4380 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah ha ha ha I'm stayin' alive, stayin' alive!!!

--------------------
Jon Jantz
SnappySign
Walnut Hill, FL

Posts: 3396 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ernie & I are doing fine. I probably had Covid the very beginning of March. At that point they only tested if you had been to China oe was hospitalized. Not everyone makes
Anitbodies, Some people who do, they only last as little as 2 months. When the antibody test became readly available, I was tested in Mid-June, 14 weeks after getting sick. Negative.

Sign work was dead for 3months, Which ws fine for us. We are semi-retired, not taking on many NEW clients. Mostly doing vinyl graphics for a school bus company and canoe manufacturer. Cutting CNC parts for a kayak company.
Been doing Bicycle riding (470 miles so far since April)’
A little bit of archery and fishing, vegetable gardening (canning season is here).

Diane

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1740 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I guess I haven't been here longer than I thought. This topic was started in July and I'm just now seeing it.

Well, Ive been in my new house in Texas for a little over a year now. I check the weather in my old home town and what the Governor of Michigan is doing and I thank the stars I got out of there when I did. Business was almost dead there before the pandemic hit.

My new much smaller shop is finally up. Now for electricity and then to get all the tools out of my garage. I am semi retired now and will concentrate more on woodworking than signs although I kept my golf tee sign customers in Michigan. I'll go up there twice a year to pick up signs that need painting and deliver signs for new sponsors. I still have family there so it will be a nice visit twice a year.

I will do the golf sign thing, maybe some glass work and fun woodworking projects. I kept my CNC as I really enjoy creating models and carving them.Now I'll have the luxury of doing fun stuff when I want instead of having deadlines.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Argyle TX 76226

sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5442 | From: Argyle, TX | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Staffan   Email Sam Staffan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still alive in Michigan Dave!

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
721 S. Nokomis St. Mackinaw City, MI
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1706 | From: Mackinaw City, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am still vertical!

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6469 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jackson Smart
Visitor
Member # 187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jackson Smart   Author's Homepage   Email Jackson Smart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are still alive here on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington state. Semi-retired now but still doing a few choice projects as they come my way. Dianne is going thru some serious health issues now...but we are hopeful she gets thru these soon.

Life is still good.....be well all!!!

Jackson Smart

--------------------
Jackson Smart
Jackson's Signs
Port Angeles, WA
...."The Straits of Juan De Fuca in my front yard and Olympic National Park in my backyard...

"Living on Earth is expensive...but it does include a free trip around the Sun"

Posts: 1005 | From: Port Angeles, Washington | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can only attribute my being here to the grace of God. Since this pandemic began, there has not been enough work to sustain life, yet I am alive. There have not been enough social gatherings, yet I still have friends. There is not enough rain to stop wild fires, yet we have not burned. I have not missed meals, insurance payments, or felt behind in any way. We've been fixing things around the homestead and making improvements. Our woodsheds will soon be full, although that usually occurs before July. I miss my afternoon sessions in the coffee house and gathering with friends. I miss new business start ups, they seem rare. I do thank God for holding us together through this.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6887 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curt Stenz
Visitor
Member # 82

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Stenz   Email Curt Stenz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well said Mr. Sacks.

--------------------
Curt Stenz Graphics
Dunlap, Tennessee

Posts: 622 | From: Dunlap, Tennessee | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Modzel
Resident

Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Modzel   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Modzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since this topic is still alive I'll update a bit. I found a good Edge 2. 1 dead pixel that I can work around. Got it hooked up to my old Mac G4 laptop running MacImprint yet and making some spending cash off Craig's List.
My old employer picked up an Edge FX and since the old foils won't work on it, they gave them to me. I have duplicates and even triplicates of many of them. I could probably print 8 hours a day for a year or two.
Having fun and am healthy in Northern Michigan.

--------------------
Bill Modzel
Mod-Zel screen Printing
Traverse city, MI
modzel@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1361 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Bill, just wondering how the Edge prints compare to the stuff off the newer machines like what I get from 365? Are the colors as clear and do they last as long? Is it easy to set up and cost effective by comparison? I've never done any printing, so I don't have knowledge there. I just assume that technology changes quickly and might get better.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're still here. [Cool]

It's been a battle mostly since probably September. We've always outsourced wide format prints, so we're bringing that in-house. Hoping things get back to normal soon, whatever that is. I still love what I do everyday. Hope you all do too. [Smile]

[Cool]

[ December 14, 2020, 09:46 AM: Message edited by: Rick Beisiegel ]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3516 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've had an interesting month. Our entire family contracted Covid--believe me, you don't want this stuff!

Our son in law likely picked it up at work. We thought he had the flu since he was the only one in the family without a flu shot, our daughter got really sick a few days later, then Sophie and I got it and the grandkids ended up with it as well. The kiddos were asymptomatic, except for some coughing, but the adults were pasted pretty hard. Sophie and I had to go to the hospital just over a week ago. We had pneumonia and low oxygen saturation. We also had 'cat syndrome'... after a walk across the room, we needed another nap!

When our son in law got sick, Sophie and I were at my father's house helping care for my father, who got Covid this past summer and spent five weeks in the hospital. My stepmom died from it.

The doctor had tried to contact my daughter to let her know her husband was positive, however, Verizon botched a change in plans and rather than taking our plans from one pocket and putting them in another, dropped them and then kicked them off a cliff, accidently cutting off our cell phones for several days. They then restored the phones but with different numbers for my wife and daughter. It took two weeks of constant calling and countless hours on the phone to get our phones back with the correct numbers. All the doctor's messages went to a 'disconnected' number and they finally had to mail the test results. In the meantime, we exposed my sisters who were helping care for my father, the housekeeper, and other friends. It was maddening! None of us are considered contagious any more.

It rained all day yesterday, and last night, Sophie slipped on the wood steps to my office. She didn't feel any better this morning, so I took her to the ER, where we stayed from 11 am to 5 pm today. It turns out she broke the humerus just below the ball in the shoulder joint. We have a follow up with an orthopedic tomorrow. If it's not one thing, it's ten others!

2020 is still in operation here!

From the slippin' trippin' House of Covid!

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5131 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Accidently posted twice.

[ December 15, 2020, 12:34 AM: Message edited by: David Harding ]

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

David, your situation is one that hurts me to hear.
I pray that your family recovers.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Wow, David, so sorry to hear this. I hope Sophie is feeling better. Will keep you guys in our thoughts and prayers.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still hanging in there. It turns out I picked the right time to retire from a full time shop, especially since I was in the Draconian State of Michigan back then.

My Texas shop is up (finally) now waiting for the power company to approve a 200 amp sub panel. They need to make sure the transformer can handle another 200 amp service. Hoping to start moving tools in from the garage in about a month.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Argyle TX 76226

sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5442 | From: Argyle, TX | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!