Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » My phone used to ring

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My phone used to ring
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
During this Covid 19 time, it si becoming very obvious how the trickle down works. Several projects cancelled because customers couldn't forsee August business to justify May investments. I'm getting to enjoy a lot of time playing in my woodshop. What are others doing with the time opportunity?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6812 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been kept pretty busy stopping the ducks fornicating in our pool, playing with baby kittens and building birdhouses. Sure not like the last 77 summers. Jer/Artworx

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Posts: 230 | From: Turlock, CA 95380, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Author's Homepage   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did get a little time out. Planted a vegi garden and washed my fleet (2) of trucks. But now it's back to normal. "Dam the torpedoes, full speed head!"

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3943 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Business is slow, but not stopped. Yesterday I worked on a painted wood sign that says "Circus Main Entrance". I made it look like an antique, with wear marks and fake rust running down where screws would have been.
It's nice to able to go for bicycle rides without a lot of traffic out there.

--------------------
Chuck Peterson Designs
San Diego, CA

Posts: 1073 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We finished up our big paying project this afternoon. It has kept us busy through this weird time. Our phone is still ringing with enquiries. I've done some design on future projects but everyone is reluctant to commit to anything big for the time being.'

I find when business is slow I am often actually busier than when the shop is full, following up on every possible lead.

We have a large personal project on the go that will keep us busy for the duration. There is always yard work and things to do on our small acreage. My e-bikes are begging to be ridden at least a bit each day.

And my hot rod is in the shop with lots to do there as well.

I'm not at all concerned about finding enough to keep myself busy i the short term.... it's the long haul that is more worrisome... but then again all the worrying in the world won't change things.

So I'll try my best to simply be mellow and enjoy a bit slower pace. The weather is perfect these days! [Smile]

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8765 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grandpa Dan, I'm glad your grand kids are close by and you'll have time for that. Mine are 3000 miles away and there is another one arriving on this planet late next month and I'd sure like to be there to meet him. We're probably staying home and trying to change the tickets for a later date.

There is plenty to do, but generating an income looks questionable. For younger folks that don't have a savings and that are burdened with vehicle and payments and mortgages and young kids that outgrow shoes before they show wear marks, they are a big concern.

I'm still getting checks for jobs completed prior to the covid thing, but soon they will cease.I expect a few months lag time till new checks start arriving.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6812 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Author's Homepage   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny thing, I have been doing a lot of painted lettering and pinstriping on trucks lately. Yeah, it's not a profitable as vinyl lettering, but it's what i am trained for. Me and my little paint brushes.

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Posts: 3943 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

We've been getting several vehicles. Very basic utility type. Mostly repeat customers wanting exactly what they had on previous trucks. New businesses....what's that? They don't seem to be happening. More downtown vacancies than ever before. Many stores have not survived this.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are very fortunate in that our kids and grandkids live on our property. We are all in 'our safety bubble' together. Our workshop is on property as well. We work and play together daily. It wouldn't work for every family but it does for us, thankfully.

While it is very sad that some existing businesses are going to close, those unfortunate failures will create a vacuum in the future when the good times return... and the new businesses will need new signs.

We are still working on designs for new businesses although everyone is hesitant to pull the trigger until there is less uncertainty.

There are bright spots however. One of our current customers in a small town has a drive-in restaurant and they are having a record year by far. We are currently helping them build a mini golf which they expect to open soon with appropriate planning and precautions. I'd place a large bet that this new business will far exceed expectations as well this year due to limited outdoor activities this summer season. If they do as expected, it will mean more business for us next winter as we build more features and signage for them as they take a phased approach in their improvements(as per the original plan of last year).

During the financial crisis a decade ago I spent our slow time making dimensional sign samples. While it was definitely slow for a long time and we did go considerably backwards financially during that time, those samples I created brought us a ton of awesome work since and paid for themselves hundreds of times over. In the slow times ahead we'll keep busy working on some amazing projects that will purposely position us for a quicker recovery when things turn around. These projects will also position us for premium work as well. While most are hunkering down we are spending our efforts to build our reputation for quality work.

It is undoubtably going to be a challenging year but I believe we will get through it by working together as a family. While we may be tempted to despair if we tune in to all the bad news, the reality is that the sun is still shining, and we are still having fun and laughing together if we choose.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8765 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been doing hand carvings, Caricatures, architectural and comfort birds.
We have been clearing fallen trees in our 30 acre forest and using the small limbs to fill in some deep muddy ruts on the main trail going up the hill. Now that the snow has gone, and it is above 45F, we have gone for several 10 -15 mile rides on our e-bikes. ( we added e-assist motors because we have a lot of steep and 1/2 mile long steep hills.) Got the gardens rototilled and the plants started.

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1725 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felix Marcano   Author's Homepage   Email Felix Marcano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Veggie garden & aquaponics!

[ May 19, 2020, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: Felix Marcano ]

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Work hard, party like a tourist!

Posts: 2289 | From: Luquillo, Puerto Rico, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunset Regall
Resident

Member # 11140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sunset Regall   Author's Homepage   Email Sunset Regall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Salsa garden and a 44' x 15' ghost sign.

--------------------
ArtBySunset.com

Posts: 198 | From: The Road | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Sunset Regall, you still cruisin on yer scooter?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Business is picking up. Once the school budget votes happen, the orders for school bus lettering will come.

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1725 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sons are running the show for the most part. I go in for pinstriping and jobs requiring my help. I decided to teach my grandsons how to turn a wrench so we found an old bike in the garage and we took it completely apart and are painting it and cleaning and repairing all parts before reassembling.
Been fishing and fishing has been good. Took me over an hour to fillet yesterday’s catch.
Work is starting to come back. Thank God for all our great customers who didn’t forget about us.

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2115 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunset Regall
Resident

Member # 11140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sunset Regall   Author's Homepage   Email Sunset Regall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Rick....no more Harleys for me....I'm all growd up!! BMWs now and a smaller one in sight!!

--------------------
ArtBySunset.com

Posts: 198 | From: The Road | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SUNSET,

JUST LOOKED AT YOUR WEBSITE, GIRL..... FOR THE FIRST TIME.

YOU ARE AMAZING !.......LOVE ALL YOUR WORK !!

RD

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1190 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I JUST RAN INTO THIS ONE TODAY:......CHECK IT OUT !

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/d-c-mayor-bowser-has-black-lives-matter-painted-street-n1225746?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma&fbclid=IwAR1QlEykHidtmx7w4JpGsAI42udvg7TXJsOVGRf1M5C0x DEr8yKGjQwic6M

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1190 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunset Regall
Resident

Member # 11140

Gee Ricardo Wow!! Thank you!!
A couple weeks ago, I painted a replica ghost sign for City of Deadwood, SD. Did it in 3 days!! My good buddy, Mudflap Girl, produced and sent the pounce patterns!! She's going to post the pix here, for me. You'll see before, after, and the photo I took at sunrise on my way out.
Again, many thanks!!

--------------------
ArtBySunset.com

Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

[IMG]  - [/IMG]

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

I can't do it,,,,waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Sunset Regall
Resident

Member # 11140

Thanks, Mud!! That's better than nothing, which is all I can post here?! Sun

--------------------
ArtBySunset.com

Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good job! Did you do that by yourself?

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1290 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunset Regall
Resident

Member # 11140

Hi Jean....the owner helped me position the pounce pattern and was my part-time lift chauffeur!! Otherwise, I worked alone and, besides the letters, I gave each brick some love with a large grout sponge!!
Sun

--------------------
ArtBySunset.com

Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, awesome!

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1290 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

THIS IS A YAHOO VIDEO.............I DON'T KNOW IF IT CAN BE SEEN HERE......BUT, YOU COULD COPY THE LINK AND WATCH IT IN YOUR COMPUTER......

https://www.yahoo.com/news/artists-stand-george-floyd-inspired-083548795.html

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

I JUST CLICKED ON THE LINK AND IT CAME UP ON THIS SCREEN.

GOOD LUCK.

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!