Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Subscription Programs Ugghhh!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Subscription Programs Ugghhh!
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Author's Homepage   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so now it's all about subscription programs. You got to be hooked up the chains of the internet, Windows 10, etc. My working computers,3 of them, are Windows 7, no internet connection and 1 (One) CD Program CD disk for all three. At this stage of my life, it's gonna stay that way. This year, I'm gonna buy one more computer with Windows 7 and put it in the closet, next to my other spare Windows 7 computer. CorelDraw is about $500.00 to start and $200.00 to upgrade. Photoshop is $22.00 per month. Like the little turtle in the TV commercial says "I'll pass".

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3903 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you remember the question once asked, "Which would you rather have, a million dollars or a penny a day that doubles every day for thirty days?" That's how those subscriptions work.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6786 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Author's Homepage   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, but they change the rules as time goes on. They charge more!

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Posts: 3903 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Alicia- but we have more spare PCs set up and put away- and no work PC is connected to the internet. One old Roland plotter will not work with a 64 bit system-only a 32-bit windows.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7016 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This move toward subscription plans is obviously finding some appeal among manufacturers. General Motors is testing the waters by offering a Cadillac subscription, where you don't own the vehicle, but get to drive the model of your choice, for a monthly subscription charge.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/gm-tries-a-subscription-plan-for-cadillacsa-netflix-for-cars-at-1-500-a-month-1489928401

--------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail: kjmlhenry@rogers.com

Why do I get all those on-line offers to sell me Viagara, when the only thing hardening is my arteries ?

Posts: 2686 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Ken...Now that you're semi-retired and living off ALL that Canada Pension and Old Age Security money, plus, ALL those thousands of dollars you contributed to RRSP's for very many years....HECK..... go subscribe to a few Cadillacs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [I Don t Know] [Applause] [Razz]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8895 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Quickbooks for payroll for myself and my husband. Every year they hike up the subscription price - this year it cost $500. Plus every 3 years I have to upgrade the program which is another $400 or so dollars on top of the yearly upgrade. [Mad]

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1282 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

And where does it end? See, now we are mostly all Old School. But young people, they don't know. For them it is normal to pay a monthly subscription for computer programs. Not me Baby,,,,Windows 7, CorelDraw X4, no internet and I'm good.

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My work computers are also NOT connected to the internet, nor are they networked together. To get information from internet connected computer to the work computers, we use a thumb drive. We have windows 7 and XP on our work computers (4 of them). .We use a MAC & ipads for our e-mail and internet. We buy used PC’s, That come loaded with Windows 7.
Diane

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1718 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PatRaap
Resident

Member # 4290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PatRaap   Author's Homepage   Email PatRaap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jean, we struggle with that same issue with Quickbooks! Quite the rip off. The last couple of years we have figured out that if you go to Sam's Club, you can purchase an update and it will come with a free Payroll subscription for the year. Sure hoping that is the case again this year...$400 is hard to swallow when doing such light payroll. I want to say we paid $299 maybe alitle more for the update.

--------------------
Patricia A. Raap
Raap Signs
2615 Arthur
Coopersville, MI 49404
616-677-0158
pat@raapsigns.com

Posts: 607 | From: Coopersville, MI 49404 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're still using an older version of QB since we no longer have employees and the need of payroll.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6786 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And now. Iphone is making plans to go subscription..
And Win 10 is whispering about subscriptions.

I recall when I posted about this problem long ago.
Some loved it some knew it would be a problem.
Now here we are dealing with the high cost of those subscriptions.

It has nothing to do with pirates either..

I was a member of the software developers ors and this was heavily discussed back then.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5277 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!