Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » New Shop

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Shop
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm having a tough time deciding how big (small) my new shop should be. I'm looking at a 30 x 40 but wondering if a 30 x 30 would suffice. Laying it out in Illustrator isn't helping much. I know people say you can't build a shop too big but I am in semi retirement mode. Still, I need room for my 5 x 10 router and all the woodworking equipment a fully stocked woodworking shop contains.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Argyle TX 76226

sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5423 | From: Argyle, TX | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would go at least 30 x 40 for a complete woodworking shop.

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2308 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our main shop is 32 x 48. At times this area feels tight - especially when we have multiple projects on the go. Our CNC router is in a 22x24 foot separate room which is a little small for it and our stock of Precision Board and offcuts. Our 5x10 CNC plasma is in another separate room measuring 30 x 30. This area houses our steel supply and also stores our tractor and forklift. The tractor and forklift need to be moved outside to do any work there.

My clean studio/library measures 20 x 30. It's a nice size. We have a small storage space and washroom off this area.

Back when we built the shop I figured the shop was big enough to do all I could possibly think of... wrong! I built the shop when I was 50 and planned too gradually wind things down as I headed into my golden years. [Smile] I planned one keeping busy with smaller projects and lots of personal projects on the side. [Smile]

The area where the router now lives was my hot rod room, with two garage doors. When the router came the hot rod moved to a shipping container. It gets pulled into the shop to work on it when there's room. Everything we build in the shop we do on wheels so we can move things around as necessary.

Life never seems to proceed as per our plans. It simply doesn't work that way- at least at our house.

My advice is to build your shop twice as big as you think you might need it. Even then it is my bet you will run out of room.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8751 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Author's Homepage   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It depends on what you plan on working on. Not only will you need room for your equipment, you might need room enough for , say, a truck or trailer you may be lettering. You don't want to be doing that stuff out in the Texas sun. Of course I'm not sure of the building codes where you are at. If you really got some dough to burn, you could get a two story shop. Office, supplies, and a few machines on top. Work area and your bigger machine on the bottom. And don't forget to have lots of windows. I have 15 windows on my shop plus one of the panels on my 14 foot shop door is a window. My shop door opens to the North. When I open the door, it is all shady. If the door was on the South or West side, I would get that summer heat right on me and in the shop. My office is in the shop but it is fully enclosed with a door. Keeps the dust off my computer, plotter, vinyl, Gold leafing supplies, books and other office supplies.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3905 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My shop is 2400'. I have a 24x24 wood shop which is cramped. I have doors lined up so I can run 12' or longer sticks through table saw or planer, etc. I have 16' ceiling so I can endo a stick without needing to take it outside. Draw all your equipment sizes and locate them on your floor plan and start imagining projects and follow them through the shop.
You'll soon see where the shaper and jointer and table saw go. You'll see where th panel saw goes and tables for glue ups and assembly. You'll want a dust collection system that you don't need to step over or duck under.
We depend on having a painting and lettering area that does not get the dust from the wood shop.
It's nice to be able to drive big trucks in.
Get colored markers and start making lines on print outs of floor plan. Follow a project from where materials come in, go to saws, get painted, get lettered, go out the door. Keep clear paths for the flow to happen. Have a bathroom/washroom that you can get to easily from anywhere. Make it efficient for you and minimize the showroom/sales office.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6786 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My shop is 34x54 with an office area 16x19. and a separate paint booth 15x16, so the main shop area is 34x38.

I also have a fully stocked shop of tools from basic wood working, to steel fabricating and welding.

Organization and good tool storage makes the shop seem bigger than it is, but never big enough, ha ha.

Did you get a new cat yet?

Peace,
Bob

www.artisansignanddesign.com

[ December 05, 2019, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: Bob Kaschak ]

--------------------
"The 3-4 minute mark of "Freewill" by Rush.

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1892 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob, no new cat but I look at them when I'm near Pet Smart. I've been tempted but we still have one cat so no more for now.

Back to the shop.
I sold my panel saw and all my welding equipment so there's two areas I can cut back on. As far as vehicles, if, and it's a big IF, I decide to do vehicles, I'll have to do them at the customers site. There is a big culvert in front of my house so getting big trucks to the back area would be a challenge. Since I'm 69 and slowing down I mainly want to do some glass work, woodworking, 3D signs, and some 3D crafting just to have something to do. I definitely don't want a full time business anymore.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
Argyle TX 76226

Posts: 5423 | From: Argyle, TX | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're wanting to slow down and back off from the commercial sign game, just get rid of most all of it and keep some hand tools, a band saw, a lathe, and make rocking chairs.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6786 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had a big GMC 400 tree boom truck in my driveway Monday. Hard to turn down 900 clams in December. Wish I had a building to work under.

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Posts: 226 | From: Turlock, CA 95380, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Shop update: I decided on a 30 x 35. This is going to help with some unforeseen costs that crept up, like $3,000 just to bring power from the pole to my shop.
I laid out my shop with all the tools to scale in Illustrator and there is plenty of room for everything. 30 x 40 would have been nice but cutting back a little made the wife happy (a little more back yard left) and there is plenty of room for my truck when they predict hail, or to letter a medium sized truck. But with Texas weather, I'll could probably work on site most of the time.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
Argyle TX 76226

Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Author's Homepage   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get big tall doors. At least 14 footers. You will be so mad at yourself later on.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3905 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

No can do Alicia for a couple reasons. I don't plan on doing that much truck lettering. Even in Michigan I did most of it outdoors or found places to do it in the customers buildings. I plan on specializing more toward 3D signs. Second, since the shop is going in the back yard, a 14 foot door would end up having a 16+ foot roof line and would end up with negative curb appeal. I'm only on 1/2 acre and the roof line would show too much from the street. I understand completely what you mean but at this stage I really can do without and save several thousand dollars in a 10 foot tall building.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
Argyle TX 76226

Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My workshop is presently 30x50 and is no longer enough space. The side walls are 14' high and it is over 16' in the center so I have room to place a mezzanine floor about 7.5' above the existing one. The mezzanine will add another 1075sqft of floor space to store substrates, metalworking machines,etc. without the expense of adding onto the building. Once the mezzanine is finished, it will have room for a plasma cutter and an open area, in front of the rolldoor, for moving a forklift around just enough for handling steel and lifting stuff upstairs. https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=3063973053614924&set=a.116914268320832

[ February 26, 2020, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7405 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Sounds like a good plan Wayne. I'm just looking for something to putter around in, more like a side hustle. Just not ready for full retirement just yet.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
Argyle TX 76226

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!