Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Milk Board?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Milk Board?
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just had a contractor call and ask me to produce a Milk Board stencil for floor blasting. He uses glass beads on concrete and shoots through a plastic sheet stencil. Any suggestions? Celtec? I know how to do the stencil, I just don't know what to use. Jer/Artworx

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Posts: 219 | From: Turlock, CA 95380, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know how large you need, or how many times it needs to be used, but plazma cut steel would work, although I don't know if it would be cost prohibitive.

I think of the story of Walter Methner, "The father of the sandblasted sign". He said he set some steel parts to something on a piece of wood to sandblast them and noticed the interesting shapes they created in the wood.
At Cal Neon in San Diego in 1973 we used duct tape to mask off signs for the Zoo's new wild animal park. Some of those signs are still there.

--------------------
Chuck Peterson Designs
San Diego, CA

Posts: 1061 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking it would be a semi-hard plastic that could be CNC'd. The logo is very detailed and would CNC well, tree bark and all on the grape vines. I have never shot glass beads so I don't know how much stress they produce. The image will be 4our by four (ish). Jer

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Posts: 219 | From: Turlock, CA 95380, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Author's Homepage   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And don't ya think it would need some type of adhesive to hold it onto the concrete? You don't want to blow right off.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3890 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I asked. He says it doesn't and they never use adhesive. I think the spray head is pretty narrow. He shoots 35-45 pounds. Not like sand on wood.

I think the milk thing is the color. Think milky?

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this a one time blast?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6771 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

I only foresee one time, yes.

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently cut a stencil for painting on a parking lot for a local black top contractor. I cut it from coroplast with a jig saw with a blade that I shortened. Imagine covering a piece of that stuff with sandblast rubber and then having a CNC machine turn it into a stencil for you? Remember those wire bridges that Glawson used to use to hold the centers of letters? They were wires that were raised half an inch with little pads, so you could blast the whole thing without those connecting lines.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6771 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Never saw that. Sounds like a great idea. So far I expect to use Celtec 6 mil and have it CNC'd. Jer

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the concrete is smooth and dry I would think a high tack sandblast rubber would work. Of course a sign guy would have to apply it as it would probably be paneled.

[ December 03, 2019, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: Dave Sherby ]

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Argyle TX 76226

sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5416 | From: Argyle, TX | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess my steel idea wouldn't work to well. It would have to have connecting lines if letters had centers. I'm not sure what a milk board is.

--------------------
Chuck Peterson Designs
San Diego, CA

Posts: 1061 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felix Marcano   Author's Homepage   Email Felix Marcano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering the same thing Chuck (What's a Milk board)!

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Work hard, party like a tourist!

Posts: 2280 | From: Luquillo, Puerto Rico, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you get it all blasted, please post a picture.
Thank you

Diane

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1714 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!