Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Differences in FOAM

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Differences in FOAM
Robert Beverly
Resident

Member # 1907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Beverly   Email Robert Beverly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings

Been a long time...but have a question to those carvers out there. I have carved many items from the coastal enterprises foam and hated it because of the toll it would take on my tools because it had so much abrasive material embedded.

I then heard of the Green foam Duna Corofoam, which I understood it to have much less abrasives in it. Is this correct?

So I ordered the duna or thought I had and received this sheet (light brown photo) Could this be the duna? It does seem to have a much less sandy feel to the surface like the coastal does.I hate to dig into it and find it to be the wrong material.

Thanks, Robert

http://drmwvr.com/2019-10-01%2008.52.14.jpg

http://drmwvr.com/2019-10-01%2008.56.08.jpg

--------------------
Robert Beverly
Arlington, Texas

Posts: 1032 | From: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That could be a different material from Duna. It could be Jasperboard which is very "soft" and that same color as your photo. But I would check with the supplier to verify. We use Jasperboard if the sign will be out of harms way since it does not have the same hardness as other HDU. I don't have any complaints with it other than it sucks up a lot of paint. The price is a trade off.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1278 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know much of anything about foam, but want to say hello. I hope that all has been well with you.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6761 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger MacMunn
Visitor
Member # 4316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rodger MacMunn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robert ..... Duna Corafoam comes in several densities, all of which are dyed different colours. The 10lb is a grey-green, the 15lb a light green (it''s your second photo), 20lb is about the colour of Pantone 148 or 149. The 31lb is close to Pantone 5205 in colour. There's a 28lb as well, but I don't recall what colour it is.

--------------------
Rodger MacMunn
T.R. MacMunn & Sons
C.P.207, Sharbot Lake, ON
613-279-1230
trmac@frontenac.net

Posts: 476 | From: Sharbot Lake, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Beverly
Resident

Member # 1907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Beverly   Email Robert Beverly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the feedback
It seems the supplier slipped some trash in on me when I specifically asked for the 15lb. Duna
I will make sure that does not happen next time.

Howdy Rick
All is super here, always playing with new stuff...but more architectural art than signs than in the past, but still spend a lot of time developing new applications that keep me busy.

I hope all is well there for you as well.

I had a nice project we completed a couple of years ago in Stockton. I hope to make it out one day to see it but have relied just on photos to date.

[ October 02, 2019, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: Robert Beverly ]

--------------------
Robert Beverly
Arlington, Texas

Posts: 1032 | From: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sal Cabrera
Visitor
Member # 1236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sal Cabrera   Author's Homepage   Email Sal Cabrera   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Robert, I'm glad somebody answer your question and as well is good to hear you are doing well,

Every time I watch the Serial BULL on TV remain me you for some reason! take care.

--------------------
Sal Cabrera
Signs By Sal
New Freedom , PA

The goal of Yesterday will be the Stating Point of Tomorrow!

Posts: 689 | From: New Freedom , PA US | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Robert,

I have been carving HDU for years now.

I have used Precision Board, Signfoam and Duna, and I prefer Duna over the other two.

Duna has a better "feel" to it when carving and the chips are not as abrasive. I mostly noticed, that when carving PB or SF, the chips that I carved away, would irritate my forearms (where I was leaning/resting my arms on the sign as I carved). The chips from Duna are not as abrasive and do not bother my arms at all. The chips from Duna also have a "give" to them when carving that feels more like wood, and I think it is easier to get a cleaner cut, as opposed to the chips from PB and SF that seem to break/chip/crack more easily leaving rough areas at times.

I also notice that the dust from Duna settles to the ground more quickly and does not stay airborne as long.

The #15 Duna is a sea foam green color and I personally believe that it feels harder than #18 SF. The #20 Duna is a tan color.

Duna is less expensive also.

I switched to Duna a few years back and have not looked back.

I hope this helps.

Peace,
Bob

www.artisansignanddesign.com

[ October 03, 2019, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: Bob Kaschak ]

--------------------
"The 3-4 minute mark of "Freewill" by Rush.

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1885 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Beverly
Resident

Member # 1907

Bob

Thanks for the insite. You have confirmed my identification of the materials as I understood them.

I have a lot of "masters" work ahead of me and wanted to get it right before getting started without having to sacrifice my caving tools inthe process if I don't have to without going to wood. I need that "woodcarved" look.

--------------------
Robert Beverly
Arlington, Texas

Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got the specs like shear strength, breaking strength, etc. from all the HDU manufacturers. All the Duna specs for 15 pound were very close or better than other manufacturers 18 or 20 pound. It's tough stuff.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5413 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Beverly
Resident

Member # 1907

Dave

Thanks for the information. Nglantz snuck the HDU crap to me when I specifially wanted the LUNA since it demonstrates a fraction of the abrasive deterioration to my carving tools.
So I wanted to make sure I was asking for the right stuff!

But the staff cut it up before I was able to stop it. That won't happen again!
Thanks
Robert

--------------------
Robert Beverly
Arlington, Texas

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!