Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Copyright law?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Copyright law?
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felix Marcano   Author's Homepage   Email Felix Marcano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys. I quoted a lettering job, and I offered a high res jpg for a fee (on the same estimate). Guy agrees to the lettering job in writing. Many moons later, he wants the file. To not start any beef with the guy, and since he had been giving me more work, I disregarded the fact that he hadn't paid for the jpg and went ahead and gave it to him. Guess what, its not enough. He wants a vector file. I wrote him a very polite email explaining why he's not gonna get it. Guess what. I get an email from some lawyer demanding that I give him the file. I really think he's just trying to intimidate me, as he got what he paid for (the lettering job), and its in writing. Has anyone gone through this? What should I expect from this dirt bag? Unbelievable! Nasty SOB. Thanks!

[ March 23, 2018, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: Felix Marcano ]

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Work hard, party like a tourist!

Posts: 2274 | From: Luquillo, Puerto Rico, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Gaffney
Resident

Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Gaffney   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Gaffney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lawyers will do anything to make a quick buck. Personally, Id give him the file and move on, lifes too short to have people like that mess with your blood pressure

--------------------
Kevin Gaffney
Artistik Signs
Kinnegad
County Westmeath
Ireland
044-75187
kevingaffney@eircom.net

Posts: 628 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Chavez
Visitor
Member # 2146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Chavez   Email Rick Chavez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you 'design' it?

Was there ever discussed or imply that transfer of ownership would happen at anytime...

If you actually designed the layout - and you did not - in writing transfer the ownership of the artwork... YOU own it.

Even then, no one can force you to hand over working files because they are proprietary for your use of replication. They are yours.

If this was me, I would want to know what he was going to do with the artwork before simply handing it over... I would offer whatever services he might need - then probably send them to him if I can' help him out... but now that he's got a lawyer involved, I would tell him go go screw himself... he has no legal basis to ask for the the files...

If just for the fun of it, ask the lawyer under what legal basis he is asking for the files...

--------------------
Rick Chavez
Hemet, CA

Posts: 1538 | From: Hemet,CA U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Chavez
Visitor
Member # 2146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Chavez   Email Rick Chavez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh another thing...

What was the intended purpose of the lettering job?

A lot of us sign people end up doing such a great job at layout out a sign, it turns into a logo... if anything, your "artwork" had an intended purpose... the "scope of work" was to letter a wall, seems as though the scope of work has changed... that may require compensation.

I have said on other sign sites that holding artwork hostage may not be the best way to go about handling your artwork. It might be a good idea to allow the client a path to own the artwork but they probably should be told that up-front. Again, this guy would tick me off to the point where I would toss the file in the trash and release it into the digital universe...

--------------------
Rick Chavez
Hemet, CA

Posts: 1538 | From: Hemet,CA U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Chavez
Visitor
Member # 2146

I was reminded of another thread about this and just realized when I looked... it was yours... lots of good info...
http://www.letterville.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/62525.html#000025

[ March 23, 2018, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: Rick Chavez ]

--------------------
Rick Chavez
Hemet, CA

Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Felix, ask the lawyer for an itemized receipt showing his client paid for it and you'll be happy to provide it.

If his client can't, then tell him how much it will cost (hint: a lot).

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!