Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » sealing sign gold?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: sealing sign gold?
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felix Marcano   Author's Homepage   Email Felix Marcano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys. I just got a couple pretty decent sign gold jobs. I remember someone many moons ago saying that sign gold edges should be sealed. Was this just to get you to buy a certain clearcoat pen? I really don't like the way it looks when you have a clear coat edge. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks!

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Work hard, party like a tourist!

Posts: 2274 | From: Luquillo, Puerto Rico, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curt Stenz
Visitor
Member # 82

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Stenz   Email Curt Stenz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used 'signgold' on a semi tractor over 15 years ago, I saw it a few months ago (up close) and it was fine. I did install it with an outline, being I cut the outline as a solid graphic and applied the gold with no edge seal right on top of the solid 3M high performance Electrocut® vinyl. The colored vinyl was cracking and fading but the gold is fine.

My thoughts are that this stuff is like iron.

--------------------
Curt Stenz Graphics
700 Squirrel Lane
Marathon, WI 54448

Posts: 590 | From: Marathon, WI 54448 | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used quite a lot of SignGold over the years and never bothered with edge sealing. Never had a failure on signs, boats nor vehicles.

The only failure occurred when a marina, against my advice, had me apply SignGold to a boat and then clearcoated the entire boat. The clearcoat peeled off the Teflon/Tedlar coating of the SignGold within a couple of weeks. (That was before SignGold came out with the product that could be clearcoated). Their mistake cost them quite a few bucks to repair.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only time I have used SignGold was on my van. When I first lettered it I didn't have the pen so I sealed the edges with OneShot clear and a quill. Within 1 year the SignGold started to lift in several areas. I called SignGold and they replaced the material and suggested that I NOT seal the edges. That was in 2006 and it still looks good today.

I do not know if it was because of the edge sealing or if the first material had a problem of it's own but if I use any more I will not seal the edges.

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2273 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had no problems not sealing edges of Sign Gold or the product from that new company that claims they invented the stuff. My experience is that clears usually break down first.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't typically edge seal either. But to be safe you could apply the gold to the surface and then apply a vinyl outline on top of the gold for an automatic edge seal. If the lettering will be subject to a lot of washing, this might help keep the edges safe.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1265 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd go with Real Gold. Longer warranty, lower price, great service, they now have a silver, and no edge sealing. I'll say one ting whether you use Sign Gold or Real Gold, I always install it on top of regular HP vinyl. Either brand is a real bitch to remove. With HP vinyl underneath it comes off easy.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Draper
Visitor
Member # 102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Draper   Email Dave Draper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used Sign Gold on a an interior display sign for customers to see in the shop. I didn't seal the edges, but within a few months it turned splotchy, like mold was growing underneath.

I remember posting about the problem (had to be 10 years ago) and the only thing anybody could tell me in theory was that since I overlaid the sign gold on a sign painted with a latex finish, it probably wicked moisture through the paint to the back side of the sign gold.

I still have the sign, it hangs in my house now, the edges are still down tight, one of the letters looks pretty good, and the other letters have the splotchy brown dotty stains.

The sign sort of looks antiquey now and fine for sign that would hang in a Cracker Barrel restaurant, but for a business sign it would have to be replaced for material failure.

So maybe, just maybe, part of the failure problem is what surface you are putting the sign gold on.

--------------------
Draper The Signmaker / Monumental Designs
http://www.monumentaldesigns.com

Posts: 2883 | From: Bloomington Illinois USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!