Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » The Shakes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Shakes
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Over the last few years I've been noticing more and more that my hand is shaky whenever I'm trying to do lettering or anything requiring precision. Altho I live in San Francisco, earthquake country, I'm sure that's not the cause. I'm convinced that it's just old age. My being 86 sort of convinces me of that. My question is, do many of you older folks have the problem, and if so, have you found anything that helps (besides steadying with the other hand or using something as a bridge)? I've tried breathing exercises to calm the nerves, but without much success. Is it just inevitable? Maybe Qualudes? Opium?

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Smith
Resident

Member # 1308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Smith   Email John Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dennis - several years ago, I was bitten by a
pigmy rattlesnake. The snake bite wasn't that
bad but the antivenin messed up my nervous system.
for years later, I had uncontrolled body and muscle jerks.
I spilled a LOT of things as I could not anticipate the next jerk.
20 years later, I still have the uncontrolled muscle twitches
that makes any kind of hand lettering a struggle.
sharp instruments such as X-Acto knives and carving chisels really
make me nervous.
now at 70 years old, I don't know how much of the involuntary
shakes and jerks are from age or the snake bite.
being fully retired now makes it easier as I don't have to rush
through projects like I used to. at 55 years old, I went for a
brain scan and medical tests. The doctor said my body was not
producing enough dopamine so I took that for about a year.
I did not like the side effects - so I stopped that and went back
to watching my caffeine intake. (with not much of a difference).
so on your next doctor's visit, discuss this with him.
you can google dopamine (also used for ADHD). and its side effects
and see if that is something you may want to try.
other than that, just accept it and don't run with scissors !!!!

[ December 10, 2017, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: John Smith ]

--------------------
John Smith
Kings Bay Signs (Retired)
Kissimmee, Florida

Posts: 816 | From: Central Florida - The Sunshine State | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dennis; I'm 76 and I shake too. I went thru the regimen at Kaiser and they say there is nothing wrong they can fix. I have almost given up pinstriping...but...I got a new truck last year and I have striped on it and some days I do pretty good and then some days I shake all over the place. I only drink decafe and see no correlation to food or medicine. As with so many parts of my anatomy, that ship has sailed. Jer Barlow

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Posts: 198 | From: Turlock, CA 95380, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dennis it could be "Essential Tremors"

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/essential-tremor/symptoms-causes/syc-20350534

You can check out Youtube for dozens of videos here's one:
https://youtu.be/uBPE2-n7Qkw

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ask Joey what to do????

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL Rick!!! Joey would definitely have a suggestion. BUT where is he? I haven't heard from him in a few years.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im sorry you are going thru that- I remember watching an oldtimer sign master whose hands shook so bad he almost slung all the paint from his brush, but when the brush touched the sign, it magically became steady and sure. He could paint a circle by starting with his left hand and then switch to his right hand and end up with a perfect circle. I unfortunatly can't recall his name.

I don't know if it will help, but an old golf trick is to pop in a pepermint or hard candy and suck on it- it relaxes your jaw and neck, and relaxes your arms as a result.

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dennis, I would be thrilled if I made it to 86 without having shaky hands. I have it at 67 and it is getting worse. It has been diagnosed as "Essential Tremors" which is a condition like Parkinson's which gets progressively worse with age. Parkinson's causes shaking when your hands or limbs are at rest while Essential Tremors causes shaking when your hands are engaged in an activity like writing, painting or just trying to do anything that requires manual dexterity.

The condition is fairly common in people over 40 although it can occur at any age. It can affect one hand (as with me) or both hands and can also make your voice waver like Katheryn Hepburn's. In many cases it is believed to be inherited. It can also affect your legs and some feel it is closely related to restless leg syndrome.

It is a game changer for many, but it does not seem to affect longevity. I used to letter and stripe in front of people and they were amazed at how fast and steady I was, but this condition has really done a number on me. In order to do fine painting I have to not drink coffee, get plenty of rest and in most cases have an empty stomach. Mahl sticks help. I have been to the doctor and neurologists and have taken all the medicines available and herbal remedies. What is available now would be surgery, ultrasound treatment and possibly Botox. All of these have side effects.

Probably half the people at 86 have this, but if you really want relief, go to your doctor and have a diagnosis, because it may be caused by something else.

Check out those web sites I posted above for information on Essential Tremors and good luck.

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goddinfla
Visitor
Member # 1502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for goddinfla   Email goddinfla   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So John, does that mean you spill the water when you're pouring it into an electric chain saw?

--------------------
Dennis Goddard

Gibsonton Fl

Posts: 1050 | From: Tampa Fl USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dennis,

Not trying to be funny.....But, have you tried using a mahl stick, when lettering?

By the way,I just turned 80, last month.

RD

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Smith
Resident

Member # 1308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Smith   Email John Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dennis G.
yes, I still use my electric chainsaw with water
for HDU. Why?? I thought everybody did that

--------------------
John Smith
Kings Bay Signs (Retired)
Kissimmee, Florida

Posts: 816 | From: Central Florida - The Sunshine State | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ricardo, I never could get used to a mahlstick, except for using it as a ruler when drawing or painting straight lines, resting the handle of the pen or brush against it. But never for curved lines or even less long curves.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!