Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » How does one build a sign like this one?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How does one build a sign like this one?
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felix Marcano   Author's Homepage   Email Felix Marcano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone. How does one make a sign like this one?

-

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Work hard, party like a tourist!

Posts: 2274 | From: Luquillo, Puerto Rico, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no idea.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felix Marcano   Author's Homepage   Email Felix Marcano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geez thanks Raymond! [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Posts: 2274 | From: Luquillo, Puerto Rico, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, well the stone is stone, the main sign could be Expanded Polystyrene Foam carved by hand or with a CNC router.The letters are cut, glued on top and then given a stucco coating. Yes?

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

That might work!

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya know, the spacing on the letters is off. The letters just look a little sad. If you re-do it, I'd work on the font layout and the spacing.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Felix!!!!!! Great to hear from you. I was wondering if you got through the hurricane unscathed. I agree with Alicia on the design. I certainly wouldn't wrap the letters around a curve so tight you have to walk in an arc to read it.

Yep, letters glued or studs onto the background. Looks like some sort of stucco. Banner looks hand carved to me.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Smith
Resident

Member # 1308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Smith   Email John Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Felix - so glad to hear you are somewhat OK !!

first of all, please delete your photo as it is over 6,000 dpi and resize and crop it to 800 dpi

are you asking this question just out of curiosity ??
or - are you going to bid on a similar project.

that project would have looked much better with a flat panel cast bronze plaque-type sign
mounted firmly and securely in the front of the structure. (and more historically correct).
I have made a few signs for St.Thomas and St.Croix but nothing like that.
If I had done that project, I would have emphatically talked them into the flat panel sign
on a separate structure. (preferably cast bronze or aluminum faux bronze).

that sign is sandblasted HDU using multiple laminated layers to achieve and keep the shape.
granted, the curve is a bit extreme for comfortable viewing by the public.
(I bet it looked great on the architects drawing table) ((stupid *&#^%@$ architects)).

-

This is how I would have presented it to the Town Counsel on the first try:
 -
It would still be curved to conform to the structure - just not as much and very readable.

I have made several signs of this nature up to 7 feet in diameter.
the secret is to know the radius of the substrate it will be mounted to.
then make a plywood frame of those dimensions.

now to the sign - - - if you can get 3/4" HDU, sandblast your design
onto that panel. clean it up, radius the edges accordingly then
take a blank sheet of 3/4" oversized HDU and mold it to your wood frame and secure it firmly
with tape, screws, rope, cargo straps, whatever it takes. (1/2" HDU is easier to work with).
then laminate another sheet of HDU over that and wrap everything up tightly
with saran wrap and let it all cure. (remove all wraps and ties after curing).
last step will be to very carefully laminate your sandblasted panel to the first two panels
that have now become one. (wrap it all up tightly with saran wrap and let it all cure).
handle the sandblasted panel very carefully as it is very thin and fragile at this stage.
after all laminations are complete and the adhesive has properly cured,
cut off the excess back two panels with a coping saw, extreme care must be
taken in the final steps so you don't have too many imperfections to clean up.
then comes the sanding and painting. once this is done, it will never lose
its shape. use your own discretion as how to mount your new panel to the substrate.
this is the same process of laminated furniture with curved backs out of plywood.
the price would be twice what you would charge for a flat panel because
it is twice (if not more) the work involved.
use the same amount of coats of primer and paint on the back as the front.
I forget which meet it was, but I gave a short blurb on how to make curved HDU signs like this.

-

[ December 11, 2017, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: John Smith ]

--------------------
John Smith
Kings Bay Signs (Retired)
Kissimmee, Florida

Posts: 816 | From: Central Florida - The Sunshine State | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Thanks guys. And thanks for the detailed explanation John. Yes, we're building this sign. And yes, I tried to convince them to go flat, but they absolutely want the sign right where that one is. Sorry, I can't delete the photo. When I hit the edit button it says that too much time has passed.

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Felix,

Here are other ways of curving HDU or Foam.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DVUlJ8JJzY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y5obU06JnQ

Any of these methods might work at a larger scale, for your project.........Who knows?

I hope they work for you, Boricua !

RD

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!