Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » New Topic (surface guilding)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Topic (surface guilding)
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry to break into this lovefest (and I do love you guys). I have a project of guilding a small image on some metal tubes (canes). I would like to use computer masks to size thru. I'm finding that the guild adheres...well that's not right...the guild lays on the background and is very hard to remove. I just want to size thru the mask, remove the mask and guild when it's appropriate. Seems simple. If I have to clean up the bkg its a mess. I know about kaolin, potatoes and such...comments?

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Posts: 198 | From: Turlock, CA 95380, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so you got regular paint mask. I would use good old Ronan or 1-Shot size. The water based stuff not only seeks up under the mask, it gets raggy around the edges. After it tacks up a tad, ya pull off the mask and guild as usual. Now when you say, "Size through the mask" what does that mean? As for the gold sticking to the background,,,,gots to be clean and bone azz dry. Any hint of tackyness is gonna pick up the gold. Maybe try dusting it a bit with some baby powder. But just a little dusting using a dry brush. Gosh, it you weren't so far, I'd come out there and show ya. Oh, is this real gold or composition leaf? 23K gold with stick to a single molecule of moisture.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Thompson
Visitor
Member # 2395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Thompson   Author's Homepage   Email David Thompson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not cut an 1/8" outline on your mask, apply your size, then pull the outline leaving the rest of the mask on and then guild the letters. This way the mask is still in place to block the leaf from sticking where you don't want it.

This way you will only risk getting the gold to stick in the the outline which will be covered when you do your actual outline.

[ December 03, 2017, 04:54 AM: Message edited by: David Thompson ]

--------------------
David Thompson
Pro-Line Graphics
Martinsville, NJ

I'm not this dumb, it's just the paint fumes talkin'

Posts: 396 | From: Martinsville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curt Stenz
Visitor
Member # 82

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Stenz   Email Curt Stenz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, cut an outline on the mask... what a great idea.

For cleaning off any stray gold, use a soft rubber pencil eraser (the kind we had in grade school). Rub gently, this usually works and will not harm the background.

--------------------
Curt Stenz Graphics
700 Squirrel Lane
Marathon, WI 54448

Posts: 590 | From: Marathon, WI 54448 | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sure like David's method.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, David...that's the best ider I hurd yet. This is a Harley namestyle and letters are about 1/4 inch tall...and its on a cane/tube. outlining would be a beach. (hard) Will try the outline idea. I have two masks available. Calmask and a french one from Hexis that is thinner. I like hexis' one but its hard to manipulate.
Chica, thru the mask means thru the mask. I usually get a rough edge tho and the size makes this risky when removing the mask.
Its a dumb job but i don't have much work and i thought I might try it. Thanks guys, Jer

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Posts: 198 | From: Turlock, CA 95380, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'licia; I just read what I posted and it doesn't make sence. I mean size in the physical sence not the varnish glue. I'm afraid I might rip the whole letter (s) off. Jer who is still learning.

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i used a mask with an outline around the graphic or letters on car windows..
Lay the mask down and then lightly dab in the size.
Then remove the outline part of the mask
Then guild. Let dry for a while and clean it up. the edges were perfect.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5273 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used mask with the outline technique a number of times. A key to getting a nice edge on the gilding is to remove the outline fairly soon after applying the size. That way, the edge of the size smooths out. If you leave the outline on until you are ready to gild, you'll have a raised ragged edge.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two,ways to get rid of the gold that sticks where it doesn't belong.
1. Don't wash your face the day you will be removing the stray gold. Take your finger rub your nose, then rub the "nose oil" on the gold. It willl come off easily.
2. Take a q-tip and put a small amount of furniture polish on it. Rub it on the stray gold.

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1695 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!