Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » 2017 Paint

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 2017 Paint
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys are much more experienced than me. I'm used to painting everything with one shot....but of course that's no longer smart. I just finished a panel, aluminum laminate. I scuffed it well and sprayed two coats of Dunn Edwards Latex Acrylic (so it sez). It scratches off easily, as I found out in installation. I waited several days before installing it so that it would cure. I'm the central valley of Cali and I don't see Matthews anywhere. What do I switch to? I thought Acrylic was the superior resin? Is there some kind of additive to harden waterbase? Help...

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Posts: 198 | From: Turlock, CA 95380, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I should add that there were wood (mdo) parts to the sign and they are fine. Problem is just with composite panels.

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Posts: 198 | From: Turlock, CA 95380, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aluminum needs an etching primer for paint to stick!

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Byrd
Visitor
Member # 825

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Byrd   Author's Homepage   Email John Byrd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it was a factory painted aluminum panel, I have had best success with exterior acrylics by doing a thorough scuffing of the surface with 120 or so grit. 220 and finer like for enamels doesn't give enough tooth for the thicker acrylic paint. YMMV

--------------------
John Byrd
Ball Ground, Georgia
770-735-6874
http://johnbyrddesign.com
so happy I gotta sit on both my hands to keep from wavin' at everybody!

Posts: 741 | From: Ball Ground, Georgia, USA | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I would do is visit your local Sherwin-Williams paint store. They might set you onto the right direction for the best paint for the job. As few years back, there was some cement silos here painted. The paint company used Cloverdale Industrial Coatings, Self-Prime Speed Enamel 76002c. I think it is a sold at Sherwin Williams. But why didn't ya just roll it out with 1-Shot mixed with 1-Shot hardener?

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Si; Good to hear from you. This is a commercial aluminum/styrene panel and is painted...(or powder-coated?) from the store (Denco).
John; I scuffed with a red scuff pad. I would have used something rougher but the scratches seem to come through.
Senorita Ali; Yeah well, I have had such bad experience with the one shots of late. Seems like I always get a can meexed on Friday...or Mondays. Too much something (not oil) that makes the color thin and streaky...or chunky. Ronan seems far more like the paint of old but the cost usually prohibits using for background. Remember I live in the furnace not the garden room like you.

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you referring to aluminum composite material? Different brands have different finishes. We use white MaxMetal from Grimco. We scuff the surface with scotch type pads and spray or roll acrylic latex DTM (direct to metal)paint. This type of paint cures very slowly - 30 days, but you can handle it well enough to install after a few days.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1265 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Can you give us a name and brand, Jean? Wow...30 days?

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too, use MaxMetal. I scuff and paint with Frazee Mirro-Glide. Frazee is now part of Sherwinn Williams. I can't scratch it off after 24 hrs if I scuff good.

--------------------
Chuck Peterson Designs
San Diego, CA

Posts: 1050 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sherwin Williams makes a DTM paint. I buy from a local company called Florida Paints. I believe the manufacturer of their DTM is Richards.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1265 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stein Saether
Resident

Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stein Saether   Email stein Saether       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use acrylic a lot, but I never use acrylic-latex

--------------------
Stein Saether
GullSkilt AS
Trondheim

Posts: 1183 | From: Trondheim Norway | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

SW seems to have discontinued both Frazee and Richards lines. Website has some SW brand enamels. Still looking for suggestions.... Cloverdale doesn't come up either.

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Cloverdale and RIchards come up in a straight search but not how they are distributed. Richards is in Florida and Cloverdale in Wash/Org area. I'll just have to talk to the local stores, I guess.

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paint scratching off easily comes from one of tow things and this goes for just about any kind of paint. 1. it's an adhesion problem, not scuffed, not etched, surface contaminated, powder coat with silicone additive, leaving plastic protective on, etc.
2. Paint isn't fully cured. Letter something in 1 Shot on Monday and Tuesday it will scratch off pretty easily, by Friday it won't budge. Latex can be the same way.
Wait a few weeks and go back and see if it still scratches off easily.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stein Saether
Resident

Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stein Saether   Email stein Saether       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Acrylic and acrylic-latex is not the same, the latter is "PVCenforced", which is cheaper and comes off in large flakes and do stink.
Allways use 100 % Acryl, nothing better, keeps color and last for more then 15 years, cures fast, no solvent fumes, brushes washes completly clean with water/warm water.

[ July 14, 2017, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: stein Saether ]

--------------------
Stein Saether
GullSkilt AS
Trondheim

Posts: 1183 | From: Trondheim Norway | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

I have sample panels coming from independent paint store and SW local. They have several products, some water based and some oil. We'll see, I gave em a each a piece of alumacore. Neither had a quick answer but both used the DTM anagram as if it was a magic word. Sad to see where the industry has sunk to.

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We use Clovabond as a bonding coat for aluminum. It should work fine on scuffed composite materials. Here's the Data sheet. http://www.cloverdalepaint.com/docs/default-source/industrial---industrial-maintenance/cloverdale-tds-71007.pdf?sfvrsn=2

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4350 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!