Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » scanning/digitizing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: scanning/digitizing
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone (anyone?...anyone?) understand how to scan graphic info into Flexi8.6 and get a "clean" vector result? I seem to get some default setting with rough steps and ragged edges and curves. I wind up re-digitizing it all over again. Can't we get the machine to do some of the work?

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Posts: 198 | From: Turlock, CA 95380, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ger, send me the file

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gerald, I'm not familiar with Flexi, but having used CorelDraw's "Trace" feature for 25-30 years, I have very seldom achieved an acceptable, useable result from converting a raster scan to a vector image.

I almost always ended up using the scan as a "template" to hand draw the graphic in vector format.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
most stuff i scan.......is done in a couple steps.
1. take object print to a letter size if possible. or just print it as big as you can.
2. take that and lay over it a sheet of tracing paper. tape the 2 together so neither moves.
3. with a #2 pencil draw on the tracing paper what you want of the printed object.
4. now try a scan of the TRACED laid over a sheet of white paper.
5. if its not good, then take the drawing you made with the #2 pencil and get a NEW black sharpie.......CAREFULLY redraw over it to make solid black lines.
6.this should scan to be traced easily.
7. you still will have clean up........but not as bad.
8. not sure if it will work on windowes after 7 but STREAMLINE 4.0 was a great trace program.
best feature was it lets you clean up BEFORE you try to trace......ITS FREE HERE:
https://archive.org/details/ADBESTRMLINEv4

[ June 02, 2017, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or for $15 you can have these guys do it. I've used them and the vectors were perfect.
https://www.ignitiondrawing.com/Home

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds like a pretty good service Dave.

I always enjoyed digitizing scans by hand. It was one of the more interesting aspects of the work for me.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I hate to say it, but Joe's drawing answer is the most help. (I've done that for years, Joe.) I was hoping for some suggestions on the software settings on the scanner or/and the trace function. I guess GIGO is more of a barrier than a difficulty. Too obscure? You can't overcome bad art with technology. I guess.

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Posts: 198 | From: Turlock, CA 95380, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gerald, i to have tried(changing settings in scan programs)umpteen thousand times!!!!
NO HELP.
REALLY d/l STREAMLINE 4.0 it s free, and i still use it when corel wont get it......
STREAMLINE WILL RUN ON UP TO WIN 7.
being able to clean up BEFORE SCAN i think is why it works so well. get most of the garbage gone befor you scan make it work better.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gee, isn't it the customer's responsibility to bring vectorized artwork? Ha Ha!!!!

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe's method never worked for me. Scans of a Sharpie always had too many anchor points and too many little zigs and zags. I always had better luck just drawing the the vectors over the top of the image. With the new tools in Illustrator since 8 years ago, the Sharpie method would be much easier. But still, for $15? You cannot redraw, do a digital trace, then clean up the trace in 15 minutes. And that's at the old $60 an hour rate of several years ago. Unless you can't wait one day for the art, I'll stick with someone else doing the job faster and cheaper than I can.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J & N Signs
Resident

Member # 901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J & N Signs   Email J & N Signs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David Sherby. I have just used Ignition drawing for the first time, twice in a week. Excellent work. It's not worth the effort to waste time on vectorizing when you can have it done for $15.00 and the work performed within 24 hours. These were fairly complex drawings.

--------------------
Mario G. Lafreniere (Fergie)
J&N Signs
Winter did show up!

Posts: 1257 | From: Chapleau, Ontario | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Borges de Oliveir
Visitor
Member # 3770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Borges de Oliveir   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Borges de Oliveir   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too have used them. Amazing clean artwork for cheaper than I could have produced.

--------------------
Charles Borges de Oliveira
Borges Lettering & Design
Snohomish WA

Posts: 352 | From: Snohomish WA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Ficucell
Visitor
Member # 1460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ficucell   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Ficucell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto for Ignition very fast great work!

--------------------
Bob Ficucell
Glass Arts
Woodland Hills,Ca

Posts: 220 | From: Woodland Hills | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is their contact info?

Diane

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1695 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J & N Signs
Resident

Member # 901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J & N Signs   Email J & N Signs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look up Dave Sherby put the link in his post.

--------------------
J&N Signs
Winter did show up!

Posts: 1257 | From: Chapleau, Ontario | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

I agree. I bought Imagro Z years ago. They had a version that would identify a font from the scan and replace the letters with the actual font. Their digitizing engine was the best I'd seen and I used it quite a bit but I bought the cheaper version that only replaced fonts with the ones you had installed on your system. Even with the best tools for tracing, Ignition was so cheap I quit using Imagro Z. I had forgotten about them when I got an e mail from the new owners of the company. Apparently they got in trouble with font people. Even though the fonts in their software were not available to use on your system, they still had the fonts in the software to compare and replace. Now they are working under a different name and have gone yearly subscription so it's still a no brainer to just use Ignition for vectorizing.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201

J & N Signs
Resident

Member # 901

I've had them in my bookmarks for years but never used them. I was always afraid of the pricing. Go figure. In my case and shop rate I'd have to complete the vectorizing in 15 minutes to match their price and we probably all know the possibilities of that.

--------------------
J&N Signs
Winter did show up!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!