Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Magnetic Truck Door Signs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Magnetic Truck Door Signs
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, long time customer calls. We have done megnetics for many of his trucks and stickers for a lot of his equipment. He bought a new truck and found the body is aluminum. Big new pickup. He likes to use this for non business purposes and would remove the magnets when they are not appropriate. Finds that magnets don't stick to his new doors and wants a solution. Any ideas?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i would get a set of "removable vinyl"
http://www.gotprint.com/content.html?id=landingPages_sP_windowCling-custom-1_001&rightMenuId=rightMenu&gclid=COi4isS--dMCFc9XDQod4QAKXg

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a guy who riveted them on.

--------------------
Chuck Peterson Designs
San Diego, CA

Posts: 1050 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe, have you seen success with static cling on truck doors that get driven?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried static cling once on side windows of my van. It stayed for a couple of weeks then blew off. I think it would be even less sticky on the body paint.

--------------------
Chuck Peterson Designs
San Diego, CA

Posts: 1050 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rick....havent done it....was just giving a shot at something that may work...

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

what suprised me......is the PRICE people sell mags for. logic says IF MAGS ARE $29 A SET.. then the sign shop should be able to LETTER BOTH DOORS FOR LESS.....like $10 a door))))

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally agree Joe. How can a shop produce two magnetics for the same price or less than lettering the actual doors? Someone should be paying for the additional cost of the magnetic material itself.

If the going price for a set of magnetic signs is $29, I wouldn't be bothered trying to compete and go broke in the process.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did a sponsor for a sprint car with some sort of "removable vinyl for use at a car show. They left it on all year. I don't think it was static cling and have no idea how many times you could apply it and have it stick.
I think your customer is S.O.L. unless he wants to trade off his Ford on a Dodge or Chevy.
As far as the pricing on magnetics, that mindset is what drove me out of the sign business. [Frown]

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ferber makes "Instachnge" vinyl. You can easily take it off within 2 years without leaving any adhesive residue.

He could apply adhesive back Velcro to his truck and magnetic signs. Then he could refuse the signs anytime he wants.

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1695 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These clowns,,, "I want to be able to remove my sign anytime I want to". Okay then,,,,,sell them a car top sign,,,just like the Pizza Guy car top sign.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Probably the way to go might be to use static clings on the inside back door windows if it's a crew cab?
I can imagine pushing the button to lower the glass and when it comes up the signs are lost inside the door panel.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Rick. If your client is really intent on using magnetics regularly, here's a way that might work. First, cut some magnetic material into 2" wide strips. You then paint those strips with automotive paint to match his vehicle color. Attach some VHB tape to the back of those strips, and apply to the vehicle, where the magnetics are to be placed. You now have a rectangular area that has receptive magnetic "hold" capabilities which the magnetic signs can attach to. This would never be as good as having 100% surface adhesion, but its an option. Be sure to emphasize that this is 100% experimental, and therefore comes with NO GUARANTEE.

--------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail: kjmlhenry@rogers.com

Why do I get all those on-line offers to sell me Viagara, when the only thing hardening is my arteries ?

Posts: 2684 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

it has been so long since i made a pair for ANYONE....i used to stock 24" X 25 feet roll.i got none rigt now. mags sorta went the route of yard signs..........most stuff i order now, can have them PRINTED for less then it would cost me to make em.
https://www.magnetsonthecheap.com/?pcode=4E4266664C304F6D6234753061425962333277374F413D3D&gclid=Cj0KEQjwmIrJBRCRmJ_x7KDo-9oBEiQAuUPKMvu9W58xpVgaq28wUder0cuMtof8QX7ksE-PHGCzqeoaAmLh8P8HA Q

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Bill Wood
Visitor
Member # 6543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Wood   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who in their right mind sells magnetic signs for $29 a set or who letters truck doors for $10
"Just Curious"

--------------------
Bill Wood
Bill Wood, Sign Artist
3628 Ogburn Ave., NE
Winston-Salem, NC 27105-3752
336-682-5820

Posts: 397 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know how anyone can sell a set of mags for $8.88!!!

I guess if you make a profit of $1 on each set and sell 1000 sets a month it might work out? But that's a hell of a lot of mags per month!

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

My thoughts are not how to make big bucks off this guy, but how to find a solution to a problem. I'm more motivated by intrigue than income. Income had its day.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

Bill Wood
Visitor
Member # 6543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Wood   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go trade it for a Chevy or Dodge...Problem Solved

--------------------
Bill Wood
Bill Wood, Sign Artist
3628 Ogburn Ave., NE
Winston-Salem, NC 27105-3752
336-682-5820

Posts: 397 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

ok....SOLUTION, the guy may not like it but IT WILL WORK. if hes dead set on MAGS...
have him take it to the body shop of the dealer(or one of his choice)have them take off the INNER DOOR PANEL, ROLL UP THE WINDOW, GET A 14-16 TALL X 26-28 INCH piece of a gauge 11-16 steel(1/16-1/8)thick.
have the body shop clean the inner panel of any sound deadner, down to the alum outer skin, now take that sheet of steel, and use a light coat of something like seam sealer to attach the steel to the alum. NOW.. the mags should have enough atraction to the steel. if the inner door panel has a lot of bends, you COULD....put a sheet of magnetic glued to inside of door......JUST GIVING SUGGESTIONS... havent done either but iam usualy good at solving problems of this nature.
llet me know if it works....

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

John Moritz
Visitor
Member # 34341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Moritz   Author's Homepage   Email John Moritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get a sample of Glass Ad-Here. Fellers sells it. It bonds incredibly well to glass and clearcoat or any smooth flat or simple curved area. It utilizes some new micro suction technology. It's lightyears ahead of traditional static cling material.

--------------------
John Moritz
Simply Signs & Screenprinting
1001 D West Mt. Vernon St.
Metamora, IL 61548
Phone 309.849.9016
Fax 309.849.9017

Posts: 24 | From: Metamora, IL | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Won't work Joe. I took a small sheet of aluminum (for the door) and placed it against a steel sheet. The mag material fell to the floor as quickly as it did with no steel behind it. Magnetic sign material does not have strong magnetism. Just for fun I tried some neodymium magnets and they did stick but had about half the holding power compared to being directly on the steel.

I'm with Alicia on this one... car top sign.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

how thick was the alumium??? iam sure the FORD DOORS arent more then .032 or .024))))

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

David Thompson
Visitor
Member # 2395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Thompson   Author's Homepage   Email David Thompson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does any one know the direction of the poles on the mag material? If they are front to back, I'm thinking neodymium magnets glued inside the door would overcome the aluminum skin of the door.

[ May 24, 2017, 06:25 AM: Message edited by: David Thompson ]

--------------------
David Thompson
Pro-Line Graphics
Martinsville, NJ

I'm not this dumb, it's just the paint fumes talkin'

Posts: 396 | From: Martinsville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John, I've wondered about the Glass Adhere vinyl also. Do you know of anyone who uses this material on their vehicle? How long does it last. I had some on my window at my shop. It stayed on for about a year and then a corner started to curl up.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1265 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave T. That won't work either. I just put a neodymium magnet directly onto some magnetic sign material and the attraction was minimal. Actually way less than on steel. It felt no more than what magnetic sign material feels on steel. That surprised me. I used it on Magnum Magnetics.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Moritz
Visitor
Member # 34341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Moritz   Author's Homepage   Email John Moritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jean, we've only offered the product for a few months. I have a customer who wanted a magnetic alternative and it's worked great for him so far, but he's using it on the rear side (extended cab) windows and I haven't had a complaint. I think it's probably more suited for temporary window graphics that can be easily installed and removed by customers, but it's not a bad option for painted non-magnetic surfaces either. I'm surprised it curled but since you're in Florida I guess heat may have been a culprit. The stuff is so rigid it's hard to imagine it curling.

--------------------
John Moritz
Simply Signs & Screenprinting
1001 D West Mt. Vernon St.
Metamora, IL 61548
Phone 309.849.9016
Fax 309.849.9017

Posts: 24 | From: Metamora, IL | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!