Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Plotter and Program for entry level

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Plotter and Program for entry level
Rick B
Visitor
Member # 26430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick B   Email Rick B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to get a plotter. Im just a pinstriper/lettering guy

What sign/lettering program should I consider to use with a plotter/vinel cutter, and good, but not real expensive plotter should I look at?

For doing vinyl lettering and outline type stick on stencils for painted lettering etc

I saw Peter mentioned 'Sign Wizard program'.

I dont know much about programs, but heard of Coral, Adobe illistrator( which I understand are expensive)

Ive been using a Free program I downloaded, Gimp2.

Rick

[ February 17, 2017, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: Rick B ]

--------------------
Rick Bowerman

Posts: 79 | From: Wildomar, Ca | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always used CorelDraw and a Roland vinyl cutter. They work well together.

I am guessing, but you could probably buy both, a used Roland cutter and an earlier version of CorelDraw, for about $1000-1500 these days.

I know that it is always a desire to go as cheap as you can, but, in the end paying a bit more for a quality cutter and quality software will end up providing less frustration and higher profits.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick B
Visitor
Member # 26430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick B   Email Rick B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roland GS-24 ?

What is "overlap cutting" ?

[ February 18, 2017, 01:35 AM: Message edited by: Rick B ]

--------------------
Rick Bowerman

Posts: 79 | From: Wildomar, Ca | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phillip Newell
Visitor
Member # 4618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phillip Newell   Author's Homepage   Email Phillip Newell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Dave. Using a Roland and Corel to cut from is a simple and very effective set up. You can pick up an earlier version of Corel from ebay. X4 is a good one to look for. Or X6 if you can find one.

--------------------
Phillip Newell
Newell Graphics
1346 Garnet St.
Burlington, IA 52601
319-754-5113

Posts: 187 | From: Henderson, IL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CX-24 roland......is not a ROLAND CAMM-1 PRO model. #1 thing you need to know.
ROLAND CX-24 is the basis for most of the CHINESE CUTTERS. all of the "cat" knockoffs are.
roland makes a PRO GRADE cutter and then the CM/CX-24.
PRO GRADE...... are PNC xxxx, CX 300, 400 500.
any of the older PNC-XXXX machines are PRO CAMM-1 plotters.
they all look alike on the outside. the big difference is the INTERNALS.
ALL PRO CAMM 1 MACHINES.. all rolling points are set in ROLLER BEARINGS. these are the same as the WHEEL BEARING IN YOUR VEHCILE...... just much smaller.
the CM/CX-24 all rolling points are either NYLON or BRASS so they wear faster and are not as accurate.
its the old story YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.
i have owned 4 rolands ALL PRO CAMM 1. my 1st was a PCN-1000. 18-20" WIDE AND CUT FROM COREL 3.
i upgraded to a PNC-1100 and then when i had the mobile shop i got another PNC-1100. I have now a CX-300...... in my office....and if you have the chance to watch/hear a CX-24 and then a CX-300,400........ you will understand the difference.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/201820587302?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick B
Visitor
Member # 26430

So.... get the pro grade with the good bearings not the cheap plastic bearings.

I was wondering about if some had quality parts and which had cheap junk parts

I dont want junk that will wear out

So what is the deal with buying a used plotter?

I always thought buying used electronic equipment was like buying worn out or broken junk.

Question you ask is why are they selling it? Because its broken...

[ February 18, 2017, 08:16 PM: Message edited by: Rick B ]

--------------------
Rick Bowerman

Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe is correct about the two levels of quality in Roland cutters. But for a one man shop, entry level, daily use, a desktop 24" cutter is probably all that will be needed.

Regarding CorelDraw, it might seem a bit overwhelming if you have never used a serious vector graphics program before, but it is well worth spending the time to get used to it. Dedicated "sign making" programs are fine, but something like CorelDraw or Adobe Illustrator have so much more to offer.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick B
Visitor
Member # 26430

Is coreldraw a CD you buy and load on your pc?

How much $$$

How would you find a earlier version CorelDraw? cost?

--------------------
Rick Bowerman

Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Rick...I typed a detailed reply to your last question, but our internet service here in Mexico is currently experiencing problems and the reply got lost.

I will re-type my reply manana.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
as i said, and can tell you from owning used CAMM-1 PRO plotters...........most are sold either becaue the owner up graded or got out of the business.
the CM/CX-24 if an rolands had problems....it was these model. all 3 PNC-xxxXx wee trouble free..
and most people who have have problems were with the CX/CM-24.corel draw. depending on your O/S most corels will work from VERSION 7 to X8, so there are plenty to chose from.
none below X3 has any backup support. you can buy X5-X6 for way less money the X7 or X8.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

I will refrain on posting anything further about CorelDraw and Roland vinyl cutters, since Joe will always contradict anything anyone else says on the subject.

And I also know he will be unable to refrain from making a "last comment".

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

and you see it as a phissin contest???was not my intent.......

[ February 20, 2017, 02:10 AM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quote: "What sign/lettering program should I consider to use with a plotter/vinel cutter, and good, but not real expensive plotter should I look at?"

Nobody here will tell you that there is a 'good' plotter that is also 'inexpensive'...
It's like expecting to go to a $2 store and find a $50 sable brush for the price of a $2 hog hair bristle craft brush...

The low end of the price scale plotters are what fill the internet forums up with people who "only want to buy one to cut some stickers on weekends," and suddenly can't figure out how to make them work.

The well-known name-brand plotters... well I've bought three, secondhand, over the last 28 years, and I'd do it again. They were built to last, and built to work.

There IS a learning curve, and no short-cuts to it... a learning curve with the machine, and a learning curve with the software, and a learning curve with weeding and applying vinyl, and learning tyoes & uses & longevity & failures...

GIMP is a photo type of program - no connection with what a plotter will do. You need a vector editing program- eg Corel Draw, Illustrator, Sign Wizard-and others... Inkscape is a free one, but I can't say if it will run a plotter. We use Corel X3. It works fine.

Pay for good tools, and invest in a good future.
Cut corners on quality & price, and regret it...

Enjoy the learning curve!
P.S. all three still do work...

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bought my first plotter in 1996, have cut tons of vinyl and sandblast stencil with it, and it still works like new. It's an Ioline Classic 24. My first software was Signwizard 4.1. I'm using version 6 now. I use it for all of my vector design because it's fast and easy to use.

Corel is an excellent program which will do vinyl and much more. I'm using version x8 right now but have used x4 as well. You will love it.

You should easily recoup your investment on a good plotter and software in just a few jobs. Good luck!

[ February 21, 2017, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark M. Kottwitz
Visitor
Member # 1764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark M. Kottwitz   Author's Homepage   Email Mark M. Kottwitz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with corel, as far as a good program, and you can find one on ebay easy enough.

A plotter is personal preference. I've used Rolands at one place that I subcontracted at, and personally, I wasn't too impressed. It may have been me, but it seemed to to want to fight me and I couldn't get it to load straight to save my backside.

I prefer Summa. Years ago I was tasked with sourcing a good plotter for a large production sign company, and I looked at a lot of plotters. Summa was the one I convinced the boss buy, and it was built like a tank. When I bought a plotter for myself, I didn't look any where else. I got a brand new Summa D60. It's been going strong for 10 years now...

--------------------
Mark Kottwitz
Kottwitz Graphics
Ridgely, MD
www.SeeMySignWork.com
--------------------------
Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein

Posts: 746 | From: Ridgely, MD | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!