Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Best circular saw blade to cut Glantz BeBond ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best circular saw blade to cut Glantz BeBond ?
Rick B
Visitor
Member # 26430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick B   Email Rick B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best circular saw blade to cut Glantz BeBond ?
Using a 7 1/2" skill saw

Something like a 48-60 tooth carbide

I have several

Should I look for a special plastic cutting blade at home depot or lowes or just your basic carpenter blade

For smaller pieces Ive used a knife to score and bend snap break it

But I have a new big sheet

I googled it saw all he expensive special cutters

[ January 30, 2017, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: Rick B ]

--------------------
Rick Bowerman

Posts: 79 | From: Wildomar, Ca | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Branscum   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Branscum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's an idea for you to try....Get a straight edge, a utility knife and score the front. Pull it to the edge of the table, and snap it on the score line, you will likely have to work it back and forth (up and down) to get the scrim on the reverse to break loose, but in my experience it will make a clean edge that will need just a little burnishing, and it will make practically no mess at all (especially compared to a circular saw. I have personally never used this product in particular, but there are several clones of similar make and this is how I cut all this type of material when it comes to straight lines..

--------------------
Barry Branscum

Master's Touch
DESIGNS
www.masterstouchsigns.com

no, my signshop website is not finished....still.

218 Hwy 65 B
Clinton, AR

Posts: 2500 | From: Clinton, AR USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any blade that will cut wood will cut BeBond. Cutting with a circular saw, jig saw, scroll saw, band saw, or router does make a lot of chips, but I sweep them up when finished. If the piece is going to be where people can touch it, I smooth the edges with a random orbit sander.

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2273 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have carbide blades in my table saw, radial arm saw and portable saws. I went for as many teeth as I could get on them (60 to 80 teeth on the larger blades) and bought them reasonably priced at Home Depot. I don't remember how many teeth are on my portable saw blades. They cut composite materials just fine. I use a file to ease the edges.

Of course, filing the edges brings up a story. Some years ago, we hired a young man on the high school work program and had him working in the shop. A few weeks later, the counselor wanted a report and was shocked that he was working around saws and the like. The counselor said she wanted him filing in the office. After that, whenever we had to ease the edges on something cut, the shop foreman put him in the office with a file. Thereafter, the counselor was very pleased to know he was filing in the office.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can get 40 and 60-tooth carbide blades in the 7-1/4 inch size. They're often called "trim" blades, with thinner kerfs.
Thin kerfs work your saw motor less.

On the subject of saw motors, here's something I was told by a friend of mine that was a motor re-winder. He was talking about the importance of not overworking a saw motor by using a cord that was too long or too light. Which I kind of knew already, but he explained why:
When a saw motor overheats there is a tendency for the insulation on the wires in the windings to soften and melt. Done repeatedly, this weakens the motor over time. You may not even notice it that much. You may think your blades are just getting duller quicker, when, in reality, your saw motor is losing strength.
The enemy is heat, generated by the resistance caused by a drop cord that is either too lightweight or too long.

Brad in Kansas City
signbrad.com

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Posts: 1230 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Thereafter, the counselor was very pleased to know he was filing in the office.

Now THAT is a funny anecdote David!!!!

Thanks for the chuckle and knowing a little bit about school systems, I'll bet it is pretty accurate.

[ January 31, 2017, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: Dave Grundy ]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Harding. This little guy is worth the investment. Very fast and easy. One swipe down the sign panel and no more sharp edge. And the bonus is no filings to sweep up, just one (usually) continuous curly cue of aluminum.
https://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-482-Swivel-Deburring/dp/B00004T828/ref=sr_1_2_m?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1485979105&sr=1-2&keywords=deburring+tool

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick B
Visitor
Member # 26430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick B   Email Rick B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought maybe the aluminum might pull off the plastic on the edges

I have several dull and fairly sharp carbide tip 7 1/2" skill saw blades,

I'll just go get a new 40 or 60 tooth carbite tip blade

The Irwin blades last pretty good.
The Diablo blades are kind of crappy, the carbide tips break off real easy

edit: Got a Dewalt 60 tooth at lowes $19

[ February 01, 2017, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: Rick B ]

--------------------
Rick Bowerman

Posts: 79 | From: Wildomar, Ca | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave,

Thanks. I'll get one of those. I don't have to report to any counselors about filing in the office so I should be OK with that thing!

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!