Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Sign Hangers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sign Hangers
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering if there are any little sign hangers out there that work well with DiBond type panels. The only one I've found are these.
https://www.wensco.com/CatSearch/1047/scroll-bracket-sign-hangers

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use ones like these, Dave. I used to get them from AlumaPanel until they were bought out by Grimco. http://www.cfsbinds.com/sosihafor1bo.html

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Raap
Resident

Member # 3632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Raap   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Raap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave I use these https://www.wensco.com/CatSearch/2335/sign-hangers just put a piece of scrap Alupanel in the hanger then pinch it together in a vise then pry it open a bit so as not to scratch the sign face when installing. They are a bit of over kill if the sign is small though.

--------------------
Dennis Raap
Raap Signs

Posts: 839 | From: Coopersville, MI | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I first read the post I thought of Joe...He is kinda short, but not quite "little"....I guess he wasn't what you needed as a little person to hang signs? [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't believe the short sign hanger hasn't chimed in! I didn't think there was any topic Joe didn't have a comment for.

I've used those heavier brackets for outdoor signs. Someone needs to make a nice bracket for the thinner stuff.

[ December 14, 2016, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: Dave Sherby ]

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave,

The problem with the ones Grundy & Wayne showed is that they have to be bent & modified a lot to go over say the 1 inch wide arm of a scroll bracket or other similar bracket.

I also make custom clips myself from aluminum strips - but on exterior signs, any movement overtime will cause these to wear thru.

When I buy scroll brackets, my welder is usually going to be making an ornamental post with a finial, so I have him weld small square tabs on the bracket with specified pre-drilled holes -

I hate a lot of movement in any sort of hanging sign so the 1/8th or 1/4th thick tabs prevent that.

I notice lately scroll brackets come with flat 'washers' welded on as tabs.

These work, but are not great because one, they don't grind enough off the outside edge of the washer to get a good weld on the bracket.
And two, even if they did, the center hole would be too close to the bracket to get the bolt & nut on.

I usually have my welder remove those flimsy washers.

A larger fender-washer works when ground on both top and bottom of the washer - there's enough outside edge remaining to weld to the bracket, then grinding the bottom prevents too much washer on the sign face (if double-sided) . . .

However - all this grinding is about as tiring as writing about it.

If you want that style of bracket just custom make your own.

Aluma-panel used to sell those brackets - but sadly the company no longer exists.

[ December 16, 2016, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: Sheila Ferrell ]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sheila Ferrell:
Dave,

The problem with the ones Grundy & Wayne showed is that they have to be bent & modified a lot to go over say the 1 inch wide arm of a scroll bracket or other similar bracket.

I also make custom clips myself from aluminum strips - but on exterior signs, any movement overtime will cause these to wear thru. (try to use at least .063 - but .080 is best)

When I buy scroll brackets, my welder is usually going to be making an ornamental post with a finial, so I have him weld small square tabs on the bracket with specified pre-drilled holes -

I hate a lot of movement in any sort of hanging sign so the 1/8th or 1/4th thick tabs prevent that.

I notice lately scroll brackets come with flat 'washers' welded on as tabs.

These work, but are not great because one, they don't grind enough off the outside edge of the washer to get a good weld on the bracket.
And two, even if they did, the center hole would be too close to the bracket to get the bolt & nut on.

I usually have my welder remove those flimsy washers.

A larger fender-washer works when ground on both top and bottom of the washer - there's enough outside edge remaining to weld to the bracket, then grinding the bottom prevents too much washer on the sign face (if double-sided) . . .

However - all this grinding is about as tiring as writing about it.

If you want that style of bracket just custom make your own.

Aluma-panel used to sell those brackets - but sadly the company no longer exists.

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!