Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Paint: one shot & Ronan

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Paint: one shot & Ronan
Rick B
Visitor
Member # 26430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick B   Email Rick B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought a new can of Kool Crimson one shot(needed a darker red color)and did some lettering with it on a sign(bibond). Darn crap isnt drying. Painted about 10:30 am and its still tacky big time at 8:00 pm. Crap!
All my other oneshot drys pretty fast. The kool crimson was mixed good too.

I have been meaning to try some Ronan. Got a color chart and price sheet from them already.

Im west coast so no one carrys it. I'll have to buy direct from Ronan back east

Is Ronan a way better paint then this newer one shot ?

[ November 11, 2016, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: Rick B ]

--------------------
Rick Bowerman

Posts: 79 | From: Wildomar, Ca | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curt Stenz
Visitor
Member # 82

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Stenz   Email Curt Stenz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rick, I have been using Ronan for 2 years now and will never go back. It is a pain if you need a can or two, but I plan ahead and order plenty of inventory.

I still have some 1-shot that am using up. The other week I experienced the same drying problem with some 'bright red', lettered in the morning and it did not cover well at all, could not double coat until the next day.

--------------------
Curt Stenz Graphics
700 Squirrel Lane
Marathon, WI 54448

Posts: 590 | From: Marathon, WI 54448 | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Evans
Visitor
Member # 44

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Evans   Email Bruce Evans       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rick, I believe McLogan carries Ronan here on the west coast.

--------------------
Bruce Evans
Crown Graphics
Chino, CA
graphics@westcoach.net

Posts: 910 | From: Chino, CA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had the same problem with Red 1-Shot, but I have since fixed it. I use 1-Shot hardener in the paint. I lived in the cool dampness of the Great Northwest.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick B
Visitor
Member # 26430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick B   Email Rick B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info

It's dry enough now, took about a day and a half

--------------------
Rick Bowerman

Posts: 79 | From: Wildomar, Ca | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
McLogan's carries the bulletin colors and not the lettering colors.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm also on the Ronan train and will not go back to One Shot. I know Ronan lettering enamel is harder to find than their bulletin colors though. I too had to order direct from Ronan. And I've also had problems with One Shot red drying. I used some Ronan red on 18 golf tee signs and it was dry to the touch in less than half a day.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many of the Ronan colors don't have as good a coverage as 1-Snot, and require a second coat if using for background colors. They do lay out real smooth and glossy, and dry. I recently bought a gallon of Chromatic background white and looked at the invoice (which I seldom do) and see that we're now spending $80 on that product?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

I wonder if the folks in Europe and down under have a better brand of lettering color that we can't get here?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've read here that spritzing hydrogen peroxide on tacky paint will often get it to dry to the touch. I had some aqua paint that wouldn't finish drying and tried it and it worked.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick B
Visitor
Member # 26430

quote:
Many of the Ronan colors don't have as good a coverage as 1-Snot
Rick,,, Any particular Ronan colors that dont cover as good?

Are you talking about their Lettering enamel?

I should ask them what is the difference between their lettering enamel and the bulletin colors besides just colors available and can size

[ November 20, 2016, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: Rick B ]

--------------------
Rick Bowerman

Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Easy to check them out ...

http://www.ronanpaints.com/graphic.htm

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

we just coated some panels with the med. brown. Nowhere near as rich a color as 1-Shot either.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

I remember when there were color standards. If I bought a can of 102, from several manufacturers, they'd all be the same. Doesn't seem to work that way anymore.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, colors aren't the same. Big difference between Ivory One Shot and Ivory Ronan. Ronan doesn't have as large a variety of colors as One Shot but I mix what I want most of the time anyway.

Bulletin paint is cheaper because it's designed to be a background paint for billboards. Pigment content is lower than lettering enamels. This info came right from the chemist of the manufacturer.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick B
Visitor
Member # 26430

quote:

Bulletin paint is cheaper because it's designed to be a background paint for billboards. Pigment content is lower than lettering enamels. This info came right from the chemist of the manufacturer.

Right on ! Just what I needed to know [Thanks]

[ November 20, 2016, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: Rick B ]

--------------------
Rick Bowerman

David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was also told the same thing by a higher up at one paint company. He also said the components are of lesser durability because they were designed for the old bulletins that would only be up a few months before they were painted over with a new message. He said they will chalk quicker.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curt Stenz
Visitor
Member # 82

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Stenz   Email Curt Stenz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as color standards, I believe that years ago, before digital billboards, EVERYTHING was painted, and the Outdoor Advertising Association was at the forefront of maintaining these color standards. Sort of like a prehistoric version of Pantone.

As far as brown, I never liked any of the browns available. Always mix my own, usually Ronan scarlet red (1-shot fire red) and black.

--------------------
Curt Stenz Graphics
700 Squirrel Lane
Marathon, WI 54448

Posts: 590 | From: Marathon, WI 54448 | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!