Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » How to flatten One Shot paint?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to flatten One Shot paint?
Kurt Gaber
Resident

Member # 256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kurt Gaber   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gaber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've read that there is flattening paste for One Shot lettering enamel, but in a short deadline pinch... is there something other than flattening paste that I can use to get the glossy One-Shot to flatten? I have to letter some exterior room doors and the customer doesn't want gloss paint.

--------------------
Kurt Gaber
Chippewa Falls, WI
Thank You Letterheads for being a part of both Brush Bashes in '02 & '06!

www.gabersigns.com

"Just Wing It"

Posts: 315 | From: Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curt Stenz
Visitor
Member # 82

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Stenz   Email Curt Stenz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kurt, I have used baby powder, not saying it is the best choice. You may be able to locate some flattening paste at a place like Sherwin-Williams. I used to get it from the local Mautz Paint store. I believe it is a generic product and not 'brand' specific, make sure it is for oil.

--------------------
Curt Stenz Graphics
700 Squirrel Lane
Marathon, WI 54448

Posts: 590 | From: Marathon, WI 54448 | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
talcum powder will also work in a pinch.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stein Saether
Resident

Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stein Saether   Email stein Saether       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buff it with a 3M kitchen-scrub when paint is fully dried.

--------------------
Stein Saether
GullSkilt AS
Trondheim

Posts: 1183 | From: Trondheim Norway | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kurt Gaber
Resident

Member # 256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kurt Gaber   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gaber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for your input. I called Sherwin-Williams before I posted here and they said they did not have any flattening agent. I also had wondered about baby powder or charcoal because back in the day of hand painting everything, I recall the paint did flatten somewhat if you had too much pounce powder from the patterns! Oops..

I ended up getting some flattening agent for enamel at an automotive paint store. The direction was 10 to 50% added which I thought was pretty vague, but I gave it a try and I don't think I added quite enough yesterday. It did make the paint rather sticky though, but I'll add more to today's paint and these will be interior rooms, and walls so the flat finish will be a bit more desired. Yesterday was exterior and in the sun and wind, so I had all of the elements working against me! Thanks again Letterhead friends!

--------------------
Kurt Gaber
Chippewa Falls, WI

www.gabersigns.com

"Just Wing It"

Posts: 315 | From: Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With today's One Shot, just put it out in the sun for a few days. [I Don t Know]

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what Dave said!

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We used to flatten enamel by adding corn starch. I don't know if you can get no GMO corn starch for organic paint?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good one Rick!!!! [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's one I heard for varnish, not sure if it would work on One Shot. I'm not even sure it works on varnish, I have not tried it.
When it is just a little tacky, wipe it with a wet chamois.

Chamois leather (British pronunciation: /ˈʃæmwɑː/[1] or American pronunciation: /ʃæmˈwɑː/[2]) — sometimes known as a wash-leather or by the trade name "Shammy" (/ˈʃæmi/[3]) — is a type of porous leather, traditionally the skin of the chamois (Rupicapra rupicapra), a type of European mountain goat. The leather is favored for its gentle, non-abrasive composition and absorption properties. It has a range of uses

[ September 14, 2016, 09:37 PM: Message edited by: Chuck Peterson ]

--------------------
Chuck Peterson Designs
San Diego, CA

Posts: 1050 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chuck, that's like when we letter something and the fog comes in and it looses its gloss. Problem is it usually looses it unevenly.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not just buy an interior satin enamel paint from Sherwin Williams?

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not just buy an interior satin enamel paint from Sherwin Williams? Why One-Shot?

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exterior doors Ray. But you have a point. Mack water based quills work great.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeh - not sure why ya have to use only One-Shot - but I love it that you do ...

Old One-Shot joke:
Customer:
"I wanted the finish to be flat, not glossy."

Signer:
"It will be in a year ..."

lol
ANY-way - used to could buy flattening agent - and I bought some stuff recently that reduces sheen - but the point is - ALL of these things do affect the performance of the paint and therefore you should strive to use some sort of exterior flat paint which you can have custom mixed even in quarts. We're talkin 15-16 bux here - no biggie and you'll use the remaining somewhere -sometime.

Aside from all these replies - your motto is ' Just Wing It' and that will hold up for any decision!
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

cut a mask and buy a rattle can of flat black rustoleum

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

Kurt Gaber
Resident

Member # 256

I ended up using automotive grade flattening agent for acrylic enamel. It has a really strong odor, but seemed to work great and the paint coverage was really very good! Then, after I had much of the work done, I was able to find some Chromatic flattening paste and I tried that yesterday on the same big project on some other doors... it was a burnt orange and it did not cover as well. It says right on the can to go 1 to 1 for ratio for completely flat finish. Not sure if it was just the orange, but this didn't cover near as well and will have to be second coated. Thanks again for your input everyone.

--------------------
Kurt Gaber
Chippewa Falls, WI

www.gabersigns.com

"Just Wing It"

Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in a museum yesterday with historical artifacts from the early days of San Diego. They have an old wooden wine press brought over from Spain that looked like it could flatten a paint can easily.

--------------------
Chuck Peterson Designs
San Diego, CA

Posts: 1050 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They used to make a flattening agent, but have not seen it for years. Musta been some bad pizza to be around. Probably a methyl based resin, I guess. The auto stuff is adequate. I heard, but never tried using cornstarch. Might work, but it might shorten the short life of one shot. For my picture frames, if I want a flat finish, I just steel wool it down and wax with Johnson's floor way to keep the finger oil prints at bay.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!