Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » hard coat on HDU

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: hard coat on HDU
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We want to hard coat HDU and paint with latex. Will the Coastal Precision board hard coat work with latex paint? Any tips on application. Sign is approx. 5'x5' x 1.5". Thanks.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1266 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jean,
Contact Kellie Miller at Coastal Enterprises. http://precisionboard.com/

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wayne,
Thanks for your reply. After looking at their products online, I don't think that is what I need. I am looking for something I can spray over the entire surface of HDU to act as a protective coating from bumps and kids. We experimented with Styrospray and it says it take automotive paints or Krylon plastic paint. We may go that route but I would rather use latex paint if possible for a top coat.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1266 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jean, you might try the Hot Wire Foam Factory. They have a lot of different coatings, glues, and accessories that deal in working with foam.

Or, they may be able to give you some guidance toward some other product.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Dale said.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Thanks guys - this is what I was looking for.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

I've never used any of the foam Factory products on HDU, Jean, but it might be worth checking into.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jean, you might also try Peachtree Foam Craft. They do all types of foam signs (wholesale), and also have a hard-coat called Poly-Armor that you might find useable.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Do they sell their Polyarmor to other companies?

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Yeah Wayne, they only sell to the sign trade.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whenever someone does a sign using fifteen or eighteen pound Precision Board (or any other brand) and then wants to hard coat it to give it durability it makes me wonder why? Doing so involves extra effort, labor and expense. There is also the chance hard earned detail will be lost.

This is why we only stock and use 30 lb or greater in our shop. Then there is no need to ever hard coat.

I've heard some comment about the extra expense of this premium material but I find it is a way to make more money, save labor and sell a sign that is better than what my competition may offer. It is easy to sell too. I keep sample of lesser weights in the showroom. When we are talking to a customer I pull out one of the eighteen pound samples and run my finger nail into it leaving a nasty gouge. I then hand my customer a piece of 30 lb board and ask them to do the same. They can't and instantly see the difference the extra density makes. I ask them if they are willing to pay a little more for this premium product. The answer is ALWAYS YES! And in doing so I make more money on the sign than if I used a lighter weight HDU.

Encourage your supplier to stock the heavier weight product, or do as we do and bring in multiple sheets at once. We typically buy a year's supply at a time and save a whole lot of money on our freight costs.

It works for me!

-grampa dan

[ June 23, 2016, 02:38 AM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

quote:
Originally posted by Dale Feicke:
Yeah Wayne, they only sell to the sign trade.

Wow, I didn't know that and bought the Foam Factory stuff instead. Oh well, I'll try this out and maybe use theirs next time. Thanks Dale

[ June 23, 2016, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gramps Dan -
that is excellent advice and completely makes sense -
I always try to use any material that will save a step or more - particularly when the result will be a superior product!

Imagine that! Saving steps and time can make a better product not a lesser one!

Not sure about Jean's shop, but for small shops like mine, it would be impractical to buy bulk - also considering the clientel in my city and neighboring cities just refuse to buy sandblasted signs - I try every time - with samples, pics, etc - and sell about 1 or two a year.

Other potential clients see that new sign & LOVE the dimensional, but then, choke when they get a quote and end up goin' with somethin' else.

Anyway - it would definitely be wise to figure out if the extra $60 to $90 for one sheet of the good stuff will be equal to the time and special paint to re-invent the lesser stuff.

You're gonna prime & finish with something of quality any way.
But obviously, by the time one invests 2-3 hours in research and purchase of special paint - which may cost more than your usual quality paint - well, it's a matter of not necessarily saving any money but about the same expense.

So for the same expense or only a little more - I will always go with the better-quality time saving material.

What it really amounts to - is this wealth of experience we all share that helps us avoid these questions so that we price every next job to cover the better material!

I love that you do 'hands on' with the customers.
Visual aids that customers can ALSO touch brings them into the process and they realize instantly you are genuine and service oriented in their favour.

There's really nothing like what we get to do for a living!!

[Cool]

[ June 25, 2016, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: Sheila Ferrell ]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a little easier for you Dan when you buy so much you have the ability to even get it and also get wholesale pricing. My Precision Board supplier does not even stock 30 lb.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The densest my supplier carries is the 18 lb SignFoam...for the little I do anymore I am well pleased with it's performance.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Thanks for the replies. The 15 lb actually works fine in most cases where the sign will be out of reach. We typically use PVC for a tougher product if the sign will be in contact with people and machinery. In this case however the sign has a black background and it will be exposed to people/kids. PVC is not good in black in Florida, hence the HDU option. We do not have a local supplier of 30 lb board. So, we're using StyroSpray until we find something better. I'm going to check out the Peachtree product.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jean, I have used the Volatile Free system's Quick Spray hard coat with latex. You have to prime it within a short time of spraying and it bonds as the spray dries. I haven't had any call for it for a few years now (actually would use it more if it was easier to access in Canada, but the supplier who introduced me to it developed their own brand) but anything I used it on has stood the test of time. The only disadvantage is you need to purchase a spray gun for the two part cylinders.
http://volatilefree.com/hard-coats

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!