Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Urethane Stripin' Paint

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Urethane Stripin' Paint
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, when you stripe a vehicle using House of Kolors urethanes, do you need to add a catalyst (Hardener) to the paint if it is NOT going to be clear coated?

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. Recommended ratio is 8:1 You can go to 4:1 before it gets too transparent to cover well. It takes some getting use to but it's a far superior paint than 1Shot. Hot Hues by Axalta is also very good. Fading, chipping and touch ups will be a thing of the past.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, thanks George. I think I might do a test on a panel today.

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark M. Kottwitz
Visitor
Member # 1764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark M. Kottwitz   Author's Homepage   Email Mark M. Kottwitz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, George, can I use the HOK in a beugler stripping tool?

--------------------
Mark Kottwitz
Kottwitz Graphics
Ridgely, MD
www.SeeMySignWork.com
--------------------------
Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein

Posts: 746 | From: Ridgely, MD | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark, I have no idea, I don't see why not though. It's a much heavier bodied paint than 1Shot and you would experiment a little. I'm pretty sure the lot stripers down in Florida use urethanes in their rollers.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Andddddd,,,,as most of us already know, many people use EZ-Off oven cleaner to remove painted lettering off vehicles. Is the HOK paint not effected by EZ-Off oven cleaner? So that once it is on, the only way to remove it would be to have it buffed/sanded off?

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Correct for the most part. If you put it on with the proper amount of catalyst, it's there to stay. NOTHING will remove it. That said, there are ways to make it where it can be removed easily, the lot stripers do this all the time. You either leave out the catalyst or ad just a tiny amount. I've seen stripes come off with a careless wipe of Rapid Prep! I lost an account at a Cadillac dealer because they couldn't get the stripe off. There had been a change in management. When I first started doing work for them they wanted to know how long I would warrant my work. I told them as long as Cadillac would warrant their work ( ten years I believe ). That cinched the deal. Along comes a new manager and he wants stripes that can be wiped off. [I Don t Know]

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

www.perkinsartworks.com

Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Along comes a new manager and he wants stripes that can be wiped off."

George, I understand why you would " [I Don t Know] your shoulders"!!!

That is kinda like wanting a car with paint that can be "wiped off"!!!! [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathy Weeks
Resident

Member # 10828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy Weeks   Email Kathy Weeks       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi George, Alicia & Dave - I'm sure you guys have gone over this before, but I missed any discussion on 1-Shot lettering enamel. I have a lot of cans of 1-Shot & will probably start changing over to HOK Urethane, but does 1-Shot Hardener work okay? I kind of want to use up my 1-shot supply, but not sure if I should use it on newer vehicles. I've never used the hardener before. What advice can you guys give me, please?

--------------------
Kathy Weeks
Weeks-End Signs & Graphics
Lake Elmo, Minnesota

Posts: 249 | From: Lake Elmo, Minnesota | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Ya know, I'm not sure if HOK can do the same jobs as 1-Shot. Such as,,,,the good old airbrushing on wet paint, painting big letters, just regular sign work. I think of HOK to be used on Show Cars or thin pinstriping. I think it shows lots of brush marks when you goes over a second time, like you would if you were painting a bold letter. I might have to do a demo. HOK versus 1-Shot

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Kathy, I haven't used 1Shot much at all in 15 years. I have lots of friends that still use it and the hardener works well. I always added it to anything I did.

Alicia, I use urethanes on just about everything I do, which is mostly vehicle work. I don't do much regular sign work at all anymore. Would I use it on a 4x8, probably not, it would be overkill. Could I use it on a 4x8, for lettering, yes.
I don't do a lot of airbrushing anymore either but when I do I use urethanes and have never had any problems. Never any problems on truck door lettering or graphics. It does have it's limits. I did a box truck a few years back that had some 2 foot letters on it and I used 1Shot.
The urethanes have a pretty steep learning curve ( you basically have to "unlearn" everything you knew about 1Shot ) but once you get used to it, it's all second nature.
You are correct about the brush strokes when going over it a second time. It's actually picking itself up. You can't paint a panel in one color and then letter over it with another, the colors will bleed together. I hate double coating! I think I may have done it three times in 45 years. I always find a way around it like using a mask, swapping the placement of some colors or substituting a color. I hate double coating! I find most every urethane color covers just as well as 1Shot......once you get it to flow properly.
The Hot Hues from Axalta ( DuPont ) are not as heavy bodied as the HOK urethanes, they also use more hardener in the mixing and they flow more like 1Shot. The key to both brands is to aid in the flow you add MORE hardener. Sounds backwards as more hardener in 1Sot makes it kick quicker and get gummy. More hardener in a urethane slows down the drying time and makes it flow better. If you really need a long open time Matthews makes a flow extender, I think they call it a brushing additive and a little goes a long way.
The urethanes are an automotive paint, they are nasty, toxic and stink like hell, not to be used without proper ventilation in a small shop.

If I can be of any further help just holler.

[ May 28, 2016, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: George Perkins ]

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

www.perkinsartworks.com

Kathy Weeks
Resident

Member # 10828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy Weeks   Email Kathy Weeks       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much George and Alicia! That helps a lot. I'll keep some 1-Shot for specific jobs and get some hardener. I have used a little HOK urethane on a couple small jobs, and I like how fast it dries and like the gloss/shine. I'll get a few more colors and practice with the urethane. I feel more confident now - thanks so much!

--------------------
Kathy Weeks
Weeks-End Signs & Graphics
Lake Elmo, Minnesota

Posts: 249 | From: Lake Elmo, Minnesota | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for years....i used AUTOMOTIVE ACRYLIC ENAMEL with and with out hardener...FOR BACKGROUND PAINT..........on 4 X 8's, metal or wood, smaller signs also. it was great.
I could paint a 4 x 8 board...in little more then 2 hours.LETTER ON IT WITH ONE SHOT. if i spilled paint or made a boo boo......i could wipe it off with mineral spirits and never even disturb the background paint.

[ May 28, 2016, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!