Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Ideas for sign posts

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ideas for sign posts
Ian MacRae
Visitor
Member # 8186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian MacRae   Email Ian MacRae       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am looking for new ways to dress up sign posts.
I have used square/round steel posts, wolmonized posts, sometimes encasing the wolm. posts with boards and routing designs in the boards etc etc.
My local town is rebranding and will be installing a number of signs (carved, routed and sandblasted) and in a meeting with them at my shop last week they kept saying they want the posts to be clean white posts. Is it possible to cut up Komacel and encase my wolm posts this way? any other suggestions?
Ian

--------------------
Ian MacRae
Spitfire Sign Shop Ltd.
RR 4 Bridgewater, Nova Scotia, Canada
B4V 2W3

Posts: 17 | From: Bridgewater, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sal Cabrera
Visitor
Member # 1236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sal Cabrera   Author's Homepage   Email Sal Cabrera   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you ever think about PVC post? they come on different colors.

--------------------
Sal Cabrera
Signs By Sal
New Freedom , PA

The goal of Yesterday will be the Stating Point of Tomorrow!

Posts: 686 | From: New Freedom , PA US | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ian,
I have encased treated posts with 1-inch HDU. It can allow sand carved designs or routing and then be painted with automotive colors for a long lasting finish. I would expect an HDU covering to last longer than a wood board covering.
I have always wanted to do the same treatment to square aluminum post center, but never did.

Brad in Kansas City
signbrad.com

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Posts: 1230 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Ian,
These are 8" PVC pipes, cut to size, primed and painted with acrylic. I've done several others, in the same way; but some of them are just the plain white of the natural PVC. I try to find ones that aren't all scarred up, wipe them down good with lacquer thinner, and put a coat of wax on them. They're pretty light and easy to handle, and plenty strong enough for most types of signs. Clean looking too.

[IMG]  - [/IMG]

[ May 17, 2016, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: Dale Feicke ]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took the photo before inserting the pegs into the posts so have illustrated the lags and pegs on the left post group...I paint the pegs to match the post tops.

-
 -

[ May 17, 2016, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they want "clean, white" posts you could use aluminum tube. It comes in 24' lengths in 4, 6, or 8" square. We buy it already painted white. Just put a nice cap on and it looks clean. Another option is a PVC wrap. Versatex and Azek make a wrap around product that snaps together when put around a wood post. We've made our own wraps but the pre-made ones are reasonable to buy. Availability may be an issue for your location.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1265 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian MacRae
Visitor
Member # 8186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian MacRae   Email Ian MacRae       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is all so great...so many options.
I have questions about some of these options but have to sit down tonight look closer. Something I forgot to mention is that they have to handle a Maritime climate (freeze/thaw)

--------------------
Ian MacRae
Spitfire Sign Shop Ltd.
RR 4 Bridgewater, Nova Scotia, Canada
B4V 2W3

Posts: 17 | From: Bridgewater, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!