Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » How is business?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How is business?
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How is business these days?

I've been out of the business for almost 9 years and the global economy has been a rollercoaster ride since then.

I was just wondering how folks are doing these days.

I know that different countries and different areas of countries will have experienced differing economies.

It might be interesting to hear how folks from different areas are currently doing?

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're doing extremely well for the moment. Since buying the company nearly 2 years ago, we've seen better than a 35% growth. There's a long story behind it all. A lot of changes made.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am retired but still manage to pull off a good paying job 1 or 2 a month......nor looking for work but still get people calling me. i will be 71 in 15 days......so i dont care if i work or not....
sure like selling banners nowadays.....i get a request for one, i build it, get the buyer to approve it.......jump on line to SIGNS 365, send them the file, in 2 days its sitting on the porch))))

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Gaffney
Resident

Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Gaffney   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Gaffney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flat out here. Were about 90% digital now so dont log in here as much as I used to.Dont think many find digital printing too exciting. Taking delivery delivery of a lamidesk flatbed applicator next month which will enable us to more than double our output to cater for some new long term contracts weve secured

--------------------
Kevin Gaffney
Artistik Signs
Kinnegad
County Westmeath
Ireland
044-75187
kevingaffney@eircom.net

Posts: 628 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well you know how they say if it's slow just plan a vacation and you'll get swamped with work? I guess that works for retirement as well. I guess the snowball effect is finally happening with my 3D signs. Getting more requests than ever, 19 signs in the line up, 3 of them 3D.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way to go Dave.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ernie retired 4 years ago from his long time job, and has been keeping busy doing CNC cutting and Laser engraving/cutting signs. We both are semi-retired from signs, but the work keeps coming in. We have been quoting $$ higher than we used to. If the customer wants to pay it, good for us, if they think it is too high, still good for us.
We are imposing a minimum $ amount for turning on the laser or the CNC.

Dave Sherby you are right about the work coming in when you plan a vacation. I used to warn some of my best/frequent customers, this next time, I will let them know the evening before and change my message on my answering machin.

Diane
Diane

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1695 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Things sound great so far!!! [Applause] [Applause]

I am happy to hear that folks are doing well these days. I remember times when it seemed everyone was hurting to some extent.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Work has been very steady this year and really picking up a lot . . .

2010 - worst year ever. Trickle down results of 2008 economic crash. Went 6 months with virtually nothing - took took up parking lot (small ones) striping to survive.

By 2011 things started gradually picking up but slowed down again in 2014. Waitressed to get thru winter.

Also, had some financial crisis due to missing work & other expenses of wayward teen 2011-2013 Thankfully, she is clean,and hard-working for last three years!

Last year was a little slow - now I'm getting slammed with work, and several jobs backed-up due to almost non-stop rain December thru April.

Question: is it just me, or do you notice a pattern between business and politics?

Once a president is anchored in office, business'steadies'.
If that president starts screwing up, or is unpopular, business is awful.
Every 3 years, during presidential campaigns, people seem to spend more money...

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm semi-retired; doing work that I want or like to do, for a few good, long-time customers. Fortunately, they know our situation, and are willing to wait, to get a good job done.

I've always loved the sign business, and guess I'll be doing "something" related to it, for as long as I can stand up.

It's time to rearrange priorities now, though. The wife and I have some trips, that've been put off numerous times, due to various reasons. We are going to take them, this year. Some old friends, Yellowstone, the Badlands, the Smokies, are all going to get a visit from us, this summer.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Business is better these days. Getting calls from people who have been putting off work due to the poor economy and/or opening new businesses. During the downturn we worked on creating systems to improve efficiency. These things are starting to pay off now. We just hired someone.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1266 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not much has happened the last month, but that didn't bother me too much as I tried to chase down a computer problem, which I finally attributed to a disturbance in the Force and blamed it all on Darth Vader.

I am planning a vacation followed by disc replacement surgery in my neck next month so I'm sure I'll get buried the week before!

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since exiting the sign business two years ago and moving to Santa Fe, NM to have an art gallery, I am pleased to report April was a record month. The economy seems to be loosening up a bit with real art purchases. I have sold some 48 of my paintings since the first of the year.
www.McCallFineArt.com
Come see us! I work almost every day here in my studio and am keeping up with the inventory, I think. Lots of new work and the best part is that what I am painting now seems to actually be selling. Amazing.
...and yes, I did just paint a small sign in 3/4" helvetica for the front window, reminding me once again how much I loved painting letters.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are now into our third record year with large theme park projects under way in Trinidad, Dubai and Ontario, Canada. The future is looking bright!

We are working with a very small but talented full time crew of three plus Peter and I. We also have two part time helpers.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Dan, Where is the project in Ontario?

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Jackson Smart
Visitor
Member # 187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jackson Smart   Author's Homepage   Email Jackson Smart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plenty busy here on the Olympic Peninsula.

Of course, I too am semi-retired. We pick and choose the projects we like and charge plenty to do them. Don't need to work that hard anymore. We can enjoy being outdoors in our motorhome. Some beautiful places to go camping here. I never tire of living here.

--------------------
Jackson Smart
Jackson's Signs
Port Angeles, WA
...."The Straits of Juan De Fuca in my front yard and Olympic National Park in my backyard...

"Living on Earth is expensive...but it does include a free trip around the Sun"

Posts: 1000 | From: Port Angeles, Washington | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This year, I have really stopped working so much. I want to play more. Just yesterday someone called about doing a mural on his motorcycle and I sent him elsewhere. After the death of FranCisco, it really made me want to pull away from work and get closer to God and Family.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

So far it seems most folks who have been around for a while are doing well, but are happily "cutting back" and "picking and choosing" the projects they are interested in doing.

Personally, I think that is the perfect way to enjoy getting a wee bit older.

Alicia, I know that you and Cisco were close friends and his sudden passing affected your life.

It was, when friends of mine started passing away in their early 60's, that I made the decision to quit working for a living and start living life.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

stein Saether
Resident

Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stein Saether   Email stein Saether       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although the crises may have reduced the overall demand for signs I think a crises is just what is needed to make buyers look for new companys to buy from.
Doing good and not overpriced work will pay off in the long run.

--------------------
Stein Saether
GullSkilt AS
Trondheim

Posts: 1183 | From: Trondheim Norway | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well...pretty good seeing that I'm retired...an old customer called wanting me to make a couple of apartment signs...these guys had kept the lights on at my house for years...they have over 100 apartments in Tennessee, Alabama, and Mississippi...and I have been their sign guy for years...well I enjoy being retired so I thought I would price the signs so high that I could stay retired...after all it is warming up in Tennessee and the river is calling...well it didn't work...though I added $1000 to each sign they were still happy to pull me out of retirement...I had given them such good deals over the years that the added $1000 probably just got me closer to the going rate...anyway it's good to be spending my time doing something worth while...and I'm not just speaking monetarily.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
didn't close my studio completely, but became art director at fairly large design company- major player in the collegiate screenprinting world- still doing the same thing I have been doing for the past 25 years, only now at a bigger level and with 4 other artists under my loving guidance... 3 of the 4 are under 25. I get to be creative, illustrate,work in digital printing, photography, a little web stuff. The pay is not breathtaking, but it was a welcome transition from trying to do everything in my own business. everything is growing and looks like a strong future.

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last year actually scared me. I wasn't prepared for the sudden high taxes, (that means I made decent coin), so it looks as if it's time to move to a Ltd company.

Lookit me... I'm all grown up now! [Smile]

Dave, I've taken a slightly different turn. I'm doing what I'd do in retirement but getting paid for it... don't even ask how this all happened... I don't wanna unintentionally undo it! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too am semi retired, that sounds so much better than "work is slow". The business has been in a slow steady decline for what seems like forever. Race cars dried up in the nineties, switched to 18 wheeler pinstriping, that dried up in the nineties. Car dealership pinstriping, that dried up in the 2000's, body shop repair pinstriping has pretty much dried up now too. One thing I have gotten really good at is picking a niche market that will soon dry up. [Smile]
I do about 15 motorcycle events a year and they are pretty much crap shoots, feast of famine things and I sell some distressed signs online. There is enough going on to keep me from going crazy without driving me crazy so I guess it's all good.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!