Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » WINDOWS 10

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WINDOWS 10
Sal Cabrera
Visitor
Member # 1236

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Sal Cabrera   Author's Homepage   Email Sal Cabrera   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering if anybody knows a way to stop windows10's updates, sometime it slow down the system even I have had disable some of the recommendation to stop update but still keeping doing? has anybody have that problem? any suggestion I will appreciated at advance.
Thanks!

--------------------
Sal Cabrera
Signs By Sal
New Freedom , PA

The goal of Yesterday will be the Stating Point of Tomorrow!

Posts: 686 | From: New Freedom , PA US | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Microsoft is shoving it right up our you know where again. They are making it VERY difficult to stop Windows 10 from updating when IT wants to. There is a way and I've provided a link for you. You basically have to trick Windows into believing you are on a metered network. The option to change it is hidden but they give you instructions on this site for getting it done. Good luck.
http://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-updates/

[ April 29, 2016, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: Dave Sherby ]

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gene Uselman
Visitor
Member # 2508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gene Uselman   Author's Homepage   Email Gene Uselman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out GWX control panel. It is automated and has been working for us for a year.

--------------------
Gene Uselman
ABC Sign & Graphic
10501 Hwy 65 NE
Blaine, MN

Posts: 103 | From: Mpls, MN | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i just got a WIN 10 COMPUTER.....for my birthday(21 days early)and the 1st thing i d/l was AVAST & CLASSIC SHELL http://download.cnet.com/Classic-Shell/3000-2072_4-75553853.html
to make it look like 7 at start.
got this $149.00 maximus 11.6" laptop/tablet. no big h/d or cd/dvd but does have a couple usb and a micro card.......slots. lot better then trying to surf the web on a cell phone with my old eyes))))) 8 hour battery life!!!!! great for going to doctor appointments..........or even to jobs to show youre work. iam thinking of loading corel X3 on a mini card.......see if it will run form there.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/MAXIMUS-11.6-Laptop-PC-with-Intel-Atom-Z3735F-Quad-Core-Processor-2GB-Memory-Touchscreen-32GB-Storage-and-Windows-10/46133145 [IMG]  - [/IMG]

[ April 29, 2016, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Dish
Visitor
Member # 10782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Dish   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Dish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Gene GWX control panel!

Can get from majorgeeks.com

--------------------
Brian
Vinyl Signs
Pittsburgh, PA.

Posts: 159 | From: Pgh., PA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't understand why anyone would object to regular updates to an operating system that they willingly use???

I have not experienced any bad updates in the last 9 months that I have had Win 10.

Yes, there have been some minor changes that I had to adjust to, but I am fine with that.

I do pity those who still use Win XP or Win 7 and will some day have to learn/deal with Win 10.

Despite what OP sorta/kinda/maybe advises in his sometimes difficult to understand typing...Use the latest technology and even if it means spending a few bucks on compatible software it will pay off in the end.

I have CorelDraw X8 ordered and arriving..I don't screw around with the "free" demos that CAN screw things up.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IT WAS COREL X8........ wasnt a cheap knock off......i have d/l earlier versions and they was good for 30 DAYS....didnt know X8 only gave you 16 days.......UNTIL I HAD IT LOADED. and the new computer has WIN 10 on it........its ok, and better since i d/l the CLASSIC SHELL http://download.cnet.com/Classic-Shell/3000-2072_4-75553853.html it makes WIN 10 desktop startup look like WIN 7..........which is a lot better then WIN 10.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sal Cabrera
Visitor
Member # 1236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sal Cabrera   Author's Homepage   Email Sal Cabrera   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys for the info.

--------------------
Sal Cabrera
Signs By Sal
New Freedom , PA

The goal of Yesterday will be the Stating Point of Tomorrow!

Posts: 686 | From: New Freedom , PA US | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave, don't get me wrong, updates are necessary, but a person should have control as to when your computer updates, especially if it's going to slow down the computer.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gene Uselman
Visitor
Member # 2508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gene Uselman   Author's Homepage   Email Gene Uselman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Dave- at home is one thing, at work with 8 computers running W7pro just fine is a whole nother ballgame. Just trying to make money here.

--------------------
Gene Uselman
ABC Sign & Graphic
10501 Hwy 65 NE
Blaine, MN

Posts: 103 | From: Mpls, MN | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave S. and Gene and Joe, I do understand the need for keeping everything working well in order to be productive. I did it for many years.

But I also embraced newer technology as it came along, sometimes in hesitation, but with the realisation that if I didn't keep up I would be falling by the wayside.

Gene, you mention having 8 computers all working fine on Win 7. Why not experiment with just one of them to see if a newer operating system will work for you and perhaps use it to "ease in" to a newer system?

By the way, yes, I am retired but I often spend 4 or 5 hours a day working on personal projects in CorelDraw.

Currently using CD X7 with Win 10 on a computer with a 3.70 Ghz processor, 16 GIG of ram and a 500 GIG SSD. I have not experienced any "slowdowns" resulting from Windows updates.

Maybe I am just lucky? [Big Grin]

(By the way...I stand by my comments about Joe's typing skills!!! [Rolling On The Floor] [Wink] [Rolling On The Floor] )

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

to someone with a clear mind....nothing wrong with my typing.....type like i talk))))) TIS YOU.....that has a problem............

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohhhhhh))))) JOEEEEEEE.....

It's GREATTOSEE that YOUARE
still the WAY YOU always WERE))))))

(but I'm darned if I can learn your typing language down here!) [Wink]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

and youze guys down under cant talk right either)))))

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Dave G, didn't he mean that it slowed down his computer WHILE it was updating? I believe he doesn't want it to update automatically WHILE he is working.

And at least Joe isn't typing in Spanglish.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

no habla englasa.........pour for vore??? or italian, no ka-pesh, russian, nema resumish hahahahahahaahahaha

[ May 02, 2016, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

TURN OFF AUTOMATIC UPDATES. tell it to notify you of any updates so you can say yes/no to them.
check you windowes updates, OPTIONAL LIST you sill see a WINDOWS 10, MAKE SURE THE LITTLE BOX NEXT TO IT does not have a check mark in it.......if it does and you run any updates......IT WILL INSTALL WIN 10.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can set the time and day when Windows 10 does its updates. I have mine to do it at 1am every morning. I rarely notice when its done it.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

b ut with it set that way...you are running win 10 i assume .........if you set that way with WIN7, 8, 8.1 one day it WILL INSTALL WIN 10....

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!