Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Corel X8

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Corel X8
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the first time, I'm really disappointed in Corel. Corel Draw X8 is the buggiest new release I've ever seen. Corel Draw 6 wasn't nearly this bad.

The GUI looks and is clunky. Frankly, it's ugly.

Things were moved that didn't need to be moved and now I have to hunt all over for some of the most common commands.

My biggest complaint is the new Corel Font Manager. I've installed CorelDraw X8 on three different computers and still can't get the program to boot up. I finally had to remove it because every few minutes I would get a crash notice even though I wasn't trying to open it. Reading the Corel BB posts, it appears to be a common problem.

-

Opening files takes longer than in X7. For example, I have an all vector file that is 1516kb in size. It utilizes only system fonts. X7 opens it in under 5 seconds. It took X8 nearly 15 seconds.

BTW, I'm using an Intel I-7 processor (3.4ghz) with 16 gigs of ram.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joy Kjer
Resident

Member # 3026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joy Kjer   Author's Homepage   Email Joy Kjer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Disappointing, I guess I'll stay with X7 for now.

--------------------
Joy Kjer
Art On Display Signs
4001 Randolph St
Lincoln, NE

"My life has a superb cast,
but I can't figure out the plot."

Posts: 445 | From: 4001 Randolph St. Lincoln, NE | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i d/l the corel X8 demo(16 days)version. i played with it a couple of days, liked most of what i saw/used in it. the TRACE is really good. the font manager will take some getting used to as i like the old bitstream font manager in older corel versions.
NOW........FOR THE PROBLEMS!!!!!! after 16 uses i guess it just quits, so i being the geek iam decided to UNINSTALL IT. didnt see an uninstall from within the program so i went to windoows control panel and did the uninstall from there.
ok......1st thing i get is a small message box sayin not all the files were deleted. iam used to this as uninstalls dont remove all files sometimes.
i went to burn a CD for something...... i have a little freebie program CD BURNER, it loads and i get a message telling some of the fonts are not found!!!! ok i can delete and reload that program.
NEXT i go to check my email(windows live mail)now it tell me some other program is using it!!!!!!
i do a RESTORE to a day or so before i deleted corel X8. now i get a message that COREL X8 didnt get reinstalled properly and may cause problems!!!!
my CD Burner program worked, but not the email.
i d/l MOZILLA THUNDERBIRD...works perfect.
had to go into directory and remove some other X8 files.....wish i woulda never d/l it.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glenn,
sorry to hear of the trouble you're having with Corel X8. Thanks for letting us know about it. OP -sounds like a nightmare - one of the reasons I don't upgrade unless I really have to. I wish there was a more user friendly Corel website where you could get answers to questions.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1266 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Birthday, Jean!

An update: I was contacted by Claude Peloquin at Corel. He was able to help me get the new Corel Font Manager working.

He said Corel is aware problem with Corel X8 and said that Corel should be issuing a fix soon.

I hope so.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We upgraded to Win 10 along with x8. So I can't tell if any problems we might have been having are because of Corel or Windows.

I agree with the font manager problems and I think it is harder to figure out, but it is designed to
make it possible to put your fonts into categories and not have to have them load up in the program.

I also can no longer export an .eps to our digital printer via VersaWorks. A .pdf works instead and the file sizes are much smaller, so that's a plus.

For some reason when we plot directly from Corel to our Grahtec it won't cut out of the dialog box as before, but will plot out of the print review.

Other than that everything seems to work fine for me, but I barely scratch the surface of what these programs can do -- they lost me at Corel7. I'm lucky to have Joe around, because if I'm looking for a result and can't figure out how to do it -- he'll show me -- if I'm a good boy(hahaha!!!)

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh I almost forgot. If you are crashing, don't try to do anything while you are saving and see if that helps. Let the little saving icon at the bottom disappear and then continue.

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have always said..........to fully be able to use all of the capabilities of any version of COREL(since 7.0 -X8)it would take the average person more then a year....TO FIND OUT HOW TO USE EVERYTHING)))

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glenn,
Thanks very much. Please keep us posted on the Corel X8 fix. I would like to have the ability to categorize fonts - that's big for me. I'm apprehensive about upgrading. I've got issues with X7,Windows 7.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1266 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

jean, i have always stayed 1 version behind.....either operating systems or COREL........cause when they 1st come on to the market, they are always some stuff to fix!!!! also when you have the older OS like WIN 7, and load a program like COREL X 8 to it.......since the newer version of corel was built for the newer OS...8, 8.1 & 10.......THIS WILL SOMETIES CAUSE SMALL GLITCHES.......nothing serious but annoying. i have WIN 7 and d/l the demo......i shoulda let it just expire rather then remove it.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just got x8 todsy. Installed it on the new Win 10 machine. So far, I don't like the replacement for the "fills" function

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I downloaded a demo of Corel X8. It installed but would never boot up. I got it because I was going out of town and needed to be able to do some work if necessary.

I purchased a Surface Pro 3 a while back to replace two defunct laptops so I could use Corel on the road. I couldn’t get Corel to install because I was at the maximum number of installs. I contacted Corel and they opened a ticket (which takes a day or so), however, by the time it was open, I was out of town and without cell or internet and their ticket expired after two days and I wasn’t able to get it to load. I forgot about the issue until last week’s trip and they again opened a ticket, and again I’d be without coverage. I couldn’t get X8 to boot but finally got Corel to extend my ticket on the install problems on X7 until I could get it to work. Now, I have X7 working on my Surface Pro.

I’d like to try X8, however, my demo is about to expire and I’ve never gotten it to work. I guess X8 will have to wait a while, which isn't any big deal to me since X7 works quite well.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David..I have no idea what you just said...but I hope your back gets better.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!