Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » got straightened out!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: got straightened out!
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I realize I haven't responded to many posts for a few years.

Well four years ago I decided to go vegan and not that I am pushing anything on anyone, but I did want to share, my cholesterol is great and my BP down, and I sleep better, breathe better.

I want to return to sign painting so much but hope to find a way to stay away from the toxins in the paints and thinners, even the latex has its' demons.
I surely miss doing signs and there are so many places that are crying out for signs but hopefully I can do a few at a time as I did take on a day job for the benefits.
It's good they haven't found anything wrong with me so far except for achy joints from my fall on the ice in 2005 which took me off the ladders and standing for any good amount of time.
Still, I do battle pain with rest and stretching and myofascial therapy (deep tissue massage) treatments and glad I have insurance which pays 90%.

Anyone have any ideas of working with vinyls and paints without exposing ourselves to chemicals?

any suggestions would be great, Deb

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI Deb,
I stayed away from painting most of my work for years due to allergies to paint. Lately I have gotten back to hand lettering using Ronan Aquacote and Nova Color acrylic paints. I use Mack brushes for water base. At first I didn't like the way water base paint comes out of the brush, but got used to it. Now I can't even remember what oil base was like. I make some vintage style signs for fun and sell them at weekend art shows here in San Diego. With the new resurgence of interest in hand lettering I feel like I'm enjoying my work more than in a long time. Upgrading computer software and equipment is something that is more of a chore to me than fun.
More later.

Edit: You mentioned even latex has it's demons. Yes, I stayed away from that, too. Lately I always use a fan on low so I don't have the smell going right up my nose and have not had any problems lately.

[ April 19, 2016, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: Chuck Peterson ]

--------------------
Chuck Peterson Designs
San Diego, CA

Posts: 1050 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey gal!!

I hope you continue to improve!!

I only go to the doc about once every 2-3 years - I've never had any blood tests ect - have to be really sick to be at docs office - last time was abcess tooth late Friday afternoon . . . did you know dentists only work 4 or 4.5 days a week?

Anyway - no matter what you go to doctors for, they always like to weigh you and take your blood pressure for no apparent reason. Seems nosy . . .

My blood pressure is always perfect. But my weight number is too high. Interestingly, they always happily comment on my blood presure, and have no comment at all about my weight . . .

Anyway . . . other than latex or waterborne paints, there is very little you can do to be chem-free as far as painting goes . . .

As for vinyl - my unscientific guess would be .0001 in a thousand vinyl jockeys (that is vinyl only - never touch paint) has any health problem working with vinyl other than when,the exact knife rolls off in it's natural blade-pointing-downward descent into a toe . . .

There are healthy alternatives for this hazard tho ... Steel toe boots may be an option . . .or triangular shaped rubber 'grips' for blade handles can prevent rolling.

Of the .0001 vinyl workers experiencing any problem from chemicals related to vinyl, probably application or cleaning solvents would be the culprit.

I dare say vinyl materials themselves are pretty green towards the human body.
But the paper waste is not as eco-friendly . . . I try to bunch-up and pack mine down as tightly as possible - but in a way, that is less friendly as it will take longer for these vinyl 'rocks' to degrade . . .
burning it is a possibility which I sometimes do - but, alas, most shops are not out of the city limits.

If you can burn it, stay upwind of the fumes!

You can apply amost all vinyl jobs dry as I do.
You may decide to turn down larger jobs that require an app fluid, or maybe you can create your own 'green' soapy mixture.
There are plenty of healthy websites that share these natural solution recipes.

One of my favourite sites is:

mindbodygreen.com

You can search for and find info on many health issues and natural solutions as well as healthy cleaning solutions for body & home.

You might have to turn down large vinyl removal jobs If you don't want to handle the heavy-strength chems it takes to remove glue . . .

You can also use the rubber wheels, but they are expensive and still create a little but of dust & chemical release . . .

Maybe you could create your own 'green' residue cleaner! With this era of chemical-danger awareness a cleaner like that should do well!!!

Best of luck to you in all endeavors health-wise & work-wise and combining the two.

[ April 19, 2016, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: Sheila Ferrell ]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the point of view of a retired vinyl jockey...I would recommend using Rapid Tac products. They are non-toxic and work well.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well from someone who has handled 1-SHOT FROM AGE 9-10(USED IT FOR MODEL CARS))))and started learning sign painting 10-12....at 17 i painted my 1950 ford(the whole car)with spray cans of RED LEAD PRIMER))))also spray painted cars with lacquer paint, straight enamel , acylic enamel, and with catalyst.......most of the time without any mask......worked in the steel mill, then uncle sam had me gassing airplanes with all kinds of fuels............AND I WAS A VEGETARIAN for 19 years.........seems it wasnt any of the chemicals that caused my medical problems. heart attack ----SMOKING!!!!! bladder cancer ------SMOKING, muscle disease(inclusive body myocitis)has no know precursors .....not even genetics.......WHY SOME DEVELOP IT and others dont. point is....dont sweat the small stuf.........SOMETHING YOU DIDNT EVEN THINK YOU WOULD EVER GET..... is what will kick your ARSE))))

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great feedback,

Just remembering one of the well known sign people here telling me she was deathly ill when she had her lower level of her home full of a huge shipment of vinyl and turned out to be the fumes that came from the vinyl rolls. I know she was very big on making good money every year so this was a disaster she said and almost wiped them out due to her being so sickly.
I probably can't give her name right now unless I asked her but it is always something I am concerned about and will check out that brand Dave. I always liked Rapid Tac products of what I used.
OP you know I do get it; those who worry can worry themselves down the tube, but I'm not worried, as my back issues took me out of the business, but once a painter, always a painter, the passion is always there. I am not going to give it up if my back can take it at least part time!

[ April 20, 2016, 12:03 AM: Message edited by: Deb Fowler ]

--------------------
Deb Fowler

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AHHHHH THE BACK......... only wish i would had mine fixed 10-15 years ago BEFORE I HIT 65.........but then i didnt have medicare.........i had major back surgery july 2013. i had 3 disc completely disintegrated, couple other bulging. my doctor said the only solution was a total LUMBAR FUSION. and a LAMINECTOMY. this takes the small bones off the front of the spine. he then ground these up into a paste. my S-1, L-5,L4, L-3, L-2, L-1............ALL had titanium screws put in the left & right sides, then a titanium spring steel wire was wrapped around each screw, and that bone paste was put over it. best thing i ever did!!!! NO PAIN!!!!! NO LOSE OF MOBILITY!!! i can bend over and grab my toes.......little lose of turning my upper body left or right of center......but again NO PAIN!!!!!

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

got some shots yesterday and more myofascial therapy...off to the pool this week because the docs go back and forth about me not needing surgery yet so I was going to have it back right after going to Australia but have progressive docs here and insurance is now covering the myofascial; I recommend it to anyone.

--------------------
Deb Fowler

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!