Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Windows 10 Possible Issue

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Windows 10 Possible Issue
Rob Lenz
Resident

Member # 2994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob Lenz   Email Rob Lenz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and am still wondering why we needed it! I think it maybe causing an issue. I have printed this file before and had some issues but not the one in the photo. It is a large file with gradients and chisel effect letters and clip art and an image from the internet. So it is rather complex. My question is do you think the reason the gradient is disappearing is because of Windows 10 or something else? I have a lot of these to print I have worked all day trying to figure this out but still haven't got an answer. I created it in Sign Lab so I have contacted Cadlink but not until after they closed for the day so I will get a call back tomorrow. Here is the link to see the pictures of the problem:http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/paintm1/media/emporium%20test_zpsr4k95t8g.jpg.html

--------------------
Rob Lenz
Lenz Signs
402 Elm St.
Osage, Iowa 50461

Posts: 134 | From: Osage, Iowa | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rob...I have no experience with Sign Lab/Cadlink, but when I upgraded to Win 10 (which I do like) I found that certain features of CorelDraw X3 just didn't work correctly any more. (Understandable since CD X3 was originally developed for old Win XP)

I ended up biting the bullet and buying the latest version of CorelDraw and everything works fine now.

Maybe your version of Signlab isn't fully compatable with Win 10?

As much as it sucks, sometimes we end up having to buy newer programs to keep up with the newer operating systems.

Hopefully Cadlink can offer some assistance.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob Lenz
Resident

Member # 2994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob Lenz   Email Rob Lenz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for answering Dave. I thought of that too, I checked for any updates but didn 't find any. I hope I don't have to recreate it! I hope they will be able to help me tomorrow. I have had isues with this file before. It is such a large file that it kept crashing the Sign Lab so I tried using Corel with same result in the photo. I have a an order for 50 of these so I have get it figured out.

--------------------
Rob Lenz
Lenz Signs
402 Elm St.
Osage, Iowa 50461

Posts: 134 | From: Osage, Iowa | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rob...If you feel comfortable with sending me the CorelDraw version of the file, I'd be happy to take a look at it and see if I can figure out where the problem is.

My e-mail address is below

Edited to add....I think I know where the problem lies....In the gradient fill, or more likely in the blue border, there might be a couple of "nodes" that are not "connected" correctly? (CorelDraw terminology) In wireframe view everything looks like it is fine but in normal or enhanced view you have sections that are "blocked out or covered over" and usually in straight line segments.

In order to cure the problem, you often have to zoom in very close, break apart a node, do the same at the other end of the line, and then re-connect the "opposing" nodes. Or if the nodes appear "black" they aren't actually connected where they should be.

Hope that makes sense.

It's hard to determine from that JPG image, but I would think that the entire file, in vector format, shouldn't be very large. Maybe 500kb? Definitely not more than 1M?

As I mentioned, if you wish, send me the CorelDraw file and I'll be happy to check it out for you.

[ March 31, 2016, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: Dave Grundy ]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We upgraded to Windows 10 and Corel X8 and since we have 4 machines networked, we did one at a time. We didn't experience any problems until we got all 4 networked. We then discovered minor glitches which we have overcome.

One of the glitches was with our VersaCamm digital printer. Our solution actually had a positive result. We were converting our print files to a RGB bitmap and then exporting them to the printer as an .eps file. Only the cut contour came across.

Now we've got 2 tech savvy men here in Ben and Joe, and they couldn't figure it out. Ole dad here made a suggestion and I thought I was gonna get laughed out of the joint as always. But as it turned out I was right--blind luck for sure. I suggested instead of exporting as an .eps export as a pdf. The final print is virtually identical and the file size is way smaller. As a result, exporting from 1 computer over to the printer assigned computer is now lightning fast.

We all like Windows 10. Its laid out more like your smart phones with apps and such.

Some time ago we discovered if you don't keep up with upgrades on some of these systems and programs, then it costs you dearly once you do. So we try to upgrade if not every time at least every other time as a minimum.

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

LOL Bill...Sometimes we old farts DO have a brief moment of brilliance!!

I agree with "keeping up" with technology. When I retired I figured that CorelDraw X3 was all that I would ever need for graphics. I was incorrect. Currently using X7 and will be buying X8 as soon as we return to Canada in May.

I haven't earned a penny with CorelDraw in 8+ years, but it has provided a million dollars worth of enjoyment to me in those years.

There is something so nice about being able to learn more and more about a program, without the pressure of having to crank out a product on a deadline.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!