Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Asphaltum varnish in airbrush...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Asphaltum varnish in airbrush...
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is one of those "The pictures don't convey the effect" affairs. I was asked to put some gold leaf scroll work on a tribute locomotive. Normally, if I'm doing a historic restoration, I try to use period tools and methods. But this locomotive was made in the 1940's or 1950's; so I realized that I had a little freedom there with the tools and methods. I decided to apply the asphaltum varnish shading with an airbrush instead of a regular brush. The last time I used this shading, it was tricky to apply. I had to use a German Tohl painting method, not an artist's blending method.
So I tried the airbrush, and I was floored. The blend was so smooth that it gave the gold leaf this luminesce which is very satisfying. Again, the pictures don't really show the effect. You'll just have to try it yourself.
Tribute Locomotive

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jim, thanks for the idea. Looks great. If you say the pictures don't show the effect, which looks awesome by the way, I'd love to see it in person. I'm going to try that on a sample piece soon. I've only used asphaltum for glue chip work. Cant wait to try it.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Percell
Merchant

Member # 399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron Percell   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Percell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great Job and nice photos James. You should also try Asphaltum-Varnish with Copper Leaf and Aluminum Leaf in the future. Asphaltum-Varnish has a wonderful range of color that starts off golden and then only becomes richer and deeper in tone eventually ending up with Black. Asphaltum-Varnish can easily faux silvers into gold.
We sell allot of Asphaltum-Varnish to Faux finishers and Antique Restorers. An example being a wood worker Fauxing wormholes wants the aging patina to look authentic, because of the age of the base pigment asphalt (millions of years old) that Asphaltum-Varnish is Black, it gives the artist the perfect combination to accomplish this task.

Thanks James,
Ron Percell

--------------------
Ron Percell
Percell Signs
707-769-0639
Petaluma, California

Letterhead Sign Supply

Home of the MicroMeet!
Percell Signs Web Site
About the Author
Ron Percell

Posts: 913 | From: Petaluma,California,U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So you thinned the Asphaltum with Mineral Spirits? I wonder of it could be slightly tinted with red or dark blue for added colors.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I think it was mineral spirits; I did the job back in November or December, but just now got around to making the web page. I might have even added a little spar varnish; because the Asphaltum is so color rich that the regular varnish would spread the color out, without it being too runny. As far as color goes, I'm not sure about the blue. It could be great, but the thing is, when I talk about the luminesce of the effect, it's not just a beautiful glow, but a changing of colors. Reds and oranges come and go as you walk by.

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!