Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Spider Web Graphic Creation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Spider Web Graphic Creation
Rob Lenz
Resident

Member # 2994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob Lenz   Email Rob Lenz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am trying to reproduce a graphic for the local body shop. It has a "spider web" appearance that was popular back in the '70's or '80's. I hope this link works so you can see what I am refering to. I would like some help from someone on how to create it in Photoshop or Corel Draw.
 -

--------------------
Rob Lenz
Lenz Signs
402 Elm St.
Osage, Iowa 50461

Posts: 134 | From: Osage, Iowa | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Rob, it didn't come thru on mine. Perhaps others will have better luck.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob Lenz
Resident

Member # 2994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob Lenz   Email Rob Lenz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dale,

If you look at the top the photo finally came through. It is the little lines that are random what I am trying to recreate.

--------------------
Rob Lenz
Lenz Signs
402 Elm St.
Osage, Iowa 50461

Posts: 134 | From: Osage, Iowa | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rob...I may be incorrect, but I remember those graphics from back then and when they were new they were "solid". The spiderweb "effect" is just the result of the vinyl aging and cracking.

How to "recreate" the effect? I wouldn't bother. I'd suggest recreating the original graphic and applying to both sides of the vehicle.

If I HAD to recreate the look, in CorelDraw, I'd just draw a whole bunch of random crooked lines all over the background shape. Assign a "hairline" pen outline. Convert outline to curves. Then marquee select all of those lines and "trim" the original background shape. Then delete all the crooked lines.

You might have to play around a bit but you should end up with the effect you desire.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://www.google.com/search?q=spider+web+graphic&client=opera&hs=krr&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiVhL33pODJAhUC0GMKHWToD-QQsAQIHA&biw=1540&bih=772&dpr=1.13

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The picture shows in one of Rob's other post. The best I remember, that effect was achieved by spraying with the pressure low and the volume high, and the paint thick. We called this "cobwebbing". Spider web was more like what OP found, and was done with a stiping brush.

The best suggestion I have is try this on paper. When you get the effect you want, do a few , and then scan them. You could remove a few and then you could tile these fairly easily.

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2274 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was done back in the lacquer days, paint thick, fluid open fan closed til just a string of damn near solid paint came out.
I'm with Dave, create an entire new set and do both sides. I haven't seen anything like this graphic in twenty years.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Rob, I never did get what you sent; but with all the others' comments, you probably may be better off to go with Dave's idea.

Like said, the original cobwebbing was done with lacquer.Various thicknesses of the "web" were done by varying the air pressure, the fluid volume, or the distance away from what's sprayed.

I've done a little of it with sign enamels and basecoat urethanes.....with mixed results. The lacquer dried very fast, so runs weren't much of an issue. With today's paints, it's harder to get them to set up that fast....which may be part of the reason we don't see it today.

Some of those old custom effects were very cool; but many were overused or misused; kinda like many of the digital prints, seen today.... [Smile]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
spider webbing with an air brush.........or any spray gun....ya never get 2 alike.......so would be hard to make a pattern/vector.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob Lenz
Resident

Member # 2994

Cob web is the correct term, sorry for the confusion. You are all on the right track, yes it was created by using low air pressure and high volumn thick paint. Yes it is very old school and going to be a paint to reproduce. The body shop tried to talk the guy out of using this graphic, "he likes it and wants to keep it." I was told, I told the body shop I can make the stripe and he can do the paint "cob web" effect and then clear coat. He said he would like me to try to recreate it first and do that as a last resort. So thanks for all the wonderful ideas if it works I will post the final pic.

--------------------
Rob Lenz
Lenz Signs
402 Elm St.
Osage, Iowa 50461

Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Krylon makes a spray paint that will give you that effect. Started out being called Raz-L Daz-L webbing spray, then it was sold as webbing spray paint, now its called marbelizing paint. It's available on Ebay and Amazon and in Michaels. You could spray this on a background, take a good picture and bring it into Photoshop and throw that layer onto your final shape.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Heller
Resident

Member # 2443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard Heller   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Heller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rob, I use CorelDRAW and a program that's relatively unknown called Xara, and in it you can use Photoshop Filters. Eye Candy has several filters that might do the trick for you if you have it or know someone who does. I was reading and thinking like the others about spraying with un-reduced acrylic laquer or enamels, then remembered that you wanted to produce this digitally. I will make an attempt to upload an image as just one of many possibilities.

-

I don't think this is showing, but I could email it to you.

--------------------
Rick Heller
Ohio Technical College
1374 E. 51st Street
Cleveland, OH 44103
IOAFS

Posts: 210 | From: Cleveland, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob Lenz
Resident

Member # 2994

Well I finally got this done after several trial and errors. It turned out pretty well I think. Thanks Dave Grundy for your ideas that is the way I finally got it close. Here is a pic of the final version.  -

--------------------
Rob Lenz
Lenz Signs
402 Elm St.
Osage, Iowa 50461

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!