Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Still eager to go to work?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Still eager to go to work?
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I often wonder if many other sign people get as excited as I do about their work on a daily basis. Each day I go out to the shop eager to get on with the things we will do that day. And each day I accomplish only a fraction of what I set as a goal. It doesn't discourage me but rather motivates me to keep going. As I turn off the shop lights and head to the house for supper I've already started my list of exciting new things I want to try the next day.

In a few short years I will have been self employed for five decades and that feeling of excitement has never faded. I doubt it ever will. In those decades I've never run out of ideas nor had nearly enough time to do all the things in my head. That would take a two lifetimes.

We are purposely fussy about the work we take on in our shop. (and have purposely done so from the very start) Before we commit to any job we ask a number of important questions... If we get a no somewhere on the list the job is a non-starter.

Will the job be FUN?

Is it the kind of work we WANT to do? (now and in the future)

Will the project build OUR reputation in a positive way?

Will the customer trust us and give us control?

Will we make good money?

Notice that making money is last. Also note that I said good money. We get paid well or it's not worth the effort.

We always try and take the long view instead of just working to put a little more money in the bank in the short term. We believe we will be known tomorrow for what we do today. And we want to be known for the very best stuff.

For the last two plus years I have had the privilege of working with our son Peter once again. (the business actually belongs to him and his lovely wife Hailey now) It makes me smile no end to see in him the same work ethic and drive to get better each day. Each morning he greets me and then says... I've been thinking about... (and then the great ideas come!) Because we are in it for the love, things continue to be exciting every day. Every day we strive to raise the bar.

Through each day we work side by side, sometimes on the same project and sometimes not. Often we call out to each other... check this out.... or what do you think.... and show what we are working on. There is instant feedback (not always agreement) with the most common answer.... that's cool but what if we.... and the bar is upped once more.

We are both extremely competitive by nature and it shows through each day in countless ways - always with a huge grin and endless teasing.

This is what gets me out of bed each day and eager to get to work.

It sure beats working for a living by far!

This is also what I wish for all of my friends!

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People ask me quite often these days, "When are you going to retire?" My standard answer is, "From what? I still look forward to going to work everyday."

My son is not interested in the business, so I do this alone. It is on a smaller scale than yours, but I still enjoy every day.

Unlike you, I spent my first 2 decades working for a paycheck. I have had my business for 28 years now, and it is the first "job" I have ever had for 5 years in a row.

My business is more like a hobby that I do because I enjoy it so much, and it just happens to make a decent living at the same time.

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2273 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well.......being self employed since 1986.....29 years, and 5 years beyond most RETIRED PEOPLE...... i am still at it!!!!! it sure aint the money that keeps me doing this)))))))))))))
i keep trying to get a pottery shop going......3-4 years i been at that, but seems i still make signs/cut vinyl/order banners/yard signs/letter vans/trucks. not much on the "stickin" it end.....need a body with good legs......but i usually get someone to help. this year i have done 5 vans, 4 tree service bucket trucks, 4-5 banners, couple sets of magnetics, and 2-3 orders of yard signs.......RETIRED?????oh yea........maybe at 80)))))

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like you've got the career and the tools to go with it, that many people dream about, and never achieve,Dan. Me too.

I've been in this crazy business since the early 70's, and have loved most every day of it. Sure, there've been days I've bled, and dug muddy holes, and been on the boom in near-zero snowy weather....nasty hard work days; but that was part of it.

Through it all, I learned a lot of wonderful skills, and have always taken pride in the work I've been blessed to be able to do. At 70, I still get up and look forward to the work of the day. My wife keeps asking me when I'm going to "really" retire, and I tell her, hopefully never.

I've known several people, mostly friends of our family, over the years.....that worked many years until 65, retired, and died within a year. That's sad. A PhD friend of mine told me it's because of the drastic change of lifestyle.

At any rate, I'm in an area where I have little competition, except for the vinyl, election, and real estate stuff....which I really don't want. But for custom work, there's no one within about 25 miles, so I've got a number of quality-conscious customers who keep coming back. I just can't let them down, and it keeps me challenged, coming up with neat and unique designs and projects for them.

Since that stroke, a few years ago, I've slowed down a bit, stay off of ladders as much as I can, and don't take big (billboard) jobs anymore; but as long as I can swing a brush, use the radial arm saw, turn on the mig, and stir the paint....I'm good for awhile yet.

I thank God every day, for the career I have, and for giving me the skills and talents to do it well.

[ December 12, 2015, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: Dale Feicke ]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Heller
Resident

Member # 2443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard Heller   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Heller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that working a craft like this is so therapeutic that as long as you can do it and keep the right attitude that you gents have, this is what keeps you young and still at it, hopefully for many years to come.

--------------------
Rick Heller
Ohio Technical College
1374 E. 51st Street
Cleveland, OH 44103
IOAFS

Posts: 210 | From: Cleveland, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Learning or trying new things is what keeps me going. Even with my new to me gig, it can feel old if I deliver the same 'ol.

The beauty of learning new stuff... you continue to morph in all these directions you didn't think of yesterday. Which can lead to a very different outcome in life.

A little trick I pull on myself to keep the flame burning is, if I do a project, I trick myself at the 11th hour. If I can see it to completion from the get go without even doing it, to me it's already done. So I do the project, but then pull something unique out of my hat to dramatically change it. If it surprised me, I'm happy! If it didn't, I try again until I am happy.

Keep pushing! If you have time to yawn, you aren't pushing yourself far enough. [Smile]

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I've known several people, mostly friends of our family, over the years.....that worked many years until 65, retired, and died within a year. That's sad. A PhD friend of mine told me it's because of the drastic change of lifestyle.

Dale...We knew a couple of folks who ended up like that..very sad.

I guess we must have been very lucky, we started "practicing" being retired about 12 years before actually doing it. We started taking one month vacations and then graduated to two month vacations and then three months. It was an easy transition from that to full time retirement.

I would still be happy to be working in the business, but trying to operate a "one man shop" on a part time basis is just not practical.

Our decision to retire was mostly based on our desire to be warm in the winter, not freezing our butts off.

(8+ years fully retired and still loving it at age 71. Looking forward to another 10-15 years of retirement in warm weather year round!!!)

Edited to add..."Retirement" doesn't mean vegetating and doing nothing. We still keep active, doing all the things we always did. We just don't have to "get up and go to work" any more. If we want to go on a cruise we can, if we want to fly to Europe we can, if we just want to hang around with friends we can. It's the freedom of not being tied to a business or work that defines retirement to us.

[ December 20, 2015, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: Dave Grundy ]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan, you asked if anyone else feels like you do. Well at almost 88 I still get excited about looking forward to another job. Better yet is the challenge of doing something bigger, better and different. Finally now I can say I am retired, but not totally. Over the years it was normal to lay in bed thinking of all that was accomplished that day and what was waiting to be done the next day.
Just this year I got to work on six murals in Delevan, Wisconsin. Asked by Noel Weber to help teach gold on glass in California, Asked by Kent Smith to help teach gold on glass in Ohio, Went to Atlantic City to paint a trailer with Phil Ghi, Glenn Taylor and Sal Cabrarera for the Marine Toys for Tots Charity. Did a few portraits and finished up the year by painting a 5' by 40' mural on canvas to be installed in the town library.
The only different was always more interested in seeing the customer smile with satisfaction and hand shake a few times. Money was the last thing on my mind and raising a family of five children and caring for a disabled wife for over 30 years, no big bank account ever happened. To be able to own a house and business along with a cabin in the mountains, all with no mortgage, I feel totally blessed. As a bonus each major holiday the entire family comes to my house to celebrate.

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
as i sit here.........just thinking about all the stuff that being 70 entails..........no wonder most of us dont work any more then we do.
i remember(years ago)waking up, having a couple cups of coffee and i was off and running for 10-12 hours. was easy to get going then.
NOW........ its a "job" getting this hulk in motion.
wake up, gota put drops in my eyes, so i can see))) then i got to wipe the exceess from my eyes. then put on the glasses. now i can sit up. this takes a few minutes as i got to figure out which parts are willing and work at getting the others to follow))))
now i gota clear the plhem in my throat, put that in a paper towel and trash can it. now i can STAND......GET BALANCED...... move to bathroom, got a pee like a race horse. get that done wash hands now i got put my teeth in!!!!!!!! look in the mirror and run a brush thru my bush of hair..........OK........back to bedroom, now to put something on my naked body))) depending on the temp outside, we usually sit on the front porch and have the 1st cup o coffee and give the cats treats.....so it usuall a jacket like shirt, sweat pants...no shoes.......by this time iam already tired......from gettin ready to get up for the day))))))) then iam usually hungry gota eat, eggs and sauasage and nother cup o coffee. another trip to the bathroom, coffee does that. then i gota take my MEDS........every morning..........now i can assess my schedule for today...........if i got no doctor appointments........or dont have to go buy wally world and buy cat food......i might get something done....then again.......after all that work just getting going.........NOW IAM READY FOR A NAP)))))
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to quit reading OP's posts during my lunch break!)))))))))))) [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1265 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe...the funniest post ever from you.

Yep...when things start going down hill with the old bod it's not that much fun.

Saw something funny the other day...I was in the doctor's office and picked up an AARP magazine to scan...came across an article with a picture of the actor Robert Duvall at the top...he too is getting up there in age...of course we know him best for playing the part of rugged and tough characters...maybe one of his best known characters was that of a retired Texas Ranger in the miniseries Lonesome Dove...well I got a real kick out of the title of the article..."THE RUGGED LIFE OF BEING A COWBOY and THE BENEFITS OF NAPE TIME" by Robert Duvall.

[ December 21, 2015, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was younger, I wanted to be like Bill Riedel ... active at 88!

But after being "bullet proof" for too many years and having had more repairs and replacement parts than a '53 Buick ... I am now more like Old Paint!

Oh! Remember when your Mon sid "GO TAKE A NAP!" ... it was like a punishment!
Now I look forward to my afternoon nap ... kinda like a mini vacation!

[ December 21, 2015, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: Si Allen ]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I I'd known I was gonna live this long... I'd a takin better care of myself.

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2273 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I turn 62 in a few weeks. I know it's not that old yet but as I get older I am reminded constantly I don't have the energy or endurance I once had in my younger years. This does two things to my resolve. First I am determined to do things in a much smarter way than when I was young. Experience is a good thing. Secondly I am reminded by seeing many around me wear down and have physical problems when they get older. This makes me want to squeeze in as much as I possible can while I am able.

I want no regrets as I get older - only a great many wonderful memories and fun stories to tell. I do hope to be as active at 88 as my good friend Bill. The last thing I want is to be like someone I know well who just turned 85. Still healthy, but bored out of his skull as he sits and waits to die. He has few friends, no real hobbies and spends his days watching sports and news on TV.

I want to be out in the shop building cool stuff working alongside my kids and grandkids. I also want to keep sharing what I have learned with those who are eager to know.

Life is good!

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Heller
Resident

Member # 2443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard Heller   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Heller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well put Dan.

--------------------
Rick Heller
Ohio Technical College
1374 E. 51st Street
Cleveland, OH 44103
IOAFS

Posts: 210 | From: Cleveland, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For Si and Joe.

-

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

well rusty .........at 70.....its lot simpler to have a successful day))))))......WHEN YOU DIDNT TRUST THAT FART......and went to the bathroom..AND YOU WERE SUCCESSFUL......AT NOT SCHITIN' IN YOUR PANTS))))

[ December 22, 2015, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with you, Dan. I know, that in my younger, wilder days, that I did many things that have most certainly taken a toll on the ol' body.

But in later years, I've mellowed a lot, and made many changes. My work is still important. Most of it's still a labor of love, and I would like for it to be a great part of whatever "retirement" I ever do. Only now, it's not what I 'have' to do; but making stuff for friends, doing volunteer work, and just being able to do what I do, in a fun way.

The rocking chair won't get it. I have my TV time, for sure; but you know, with all the crappy sitcoms, reality junk, and ridiculous infomercials that are on now, it's easy to walk away, and find something more interesting to do.

[ December 22, 2015, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: Dale Feicke ]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!