Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Outdoor longevity of silk screened signs?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Outdoor longevity of silk screened signs?
Pam Eddy
Resident

Member # 1858

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Pam Eddy   Email Pam Eddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never tried any silk screening but have always understood the ink will last a long time outdoors. How long does the average silk screened sign last outdoors? Have the inks changes over the years like our lettering paint?

Thank you
Pam

--------------------
Pam Eddy
Niles, MI
ple@qtm.net

Posts: 460 | From: Michigan | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It depends on which ink you're using. I'm assuming you're using a solvent-based ink like Nazdar's 59000 series Enamel Plus and you're printing on aluminum panels with an enamel finish.

The outdoor durability isn't much different than lettering enamel. Some colors will hold up better than others. You'll want to use roughly a 230 mesh screen with a sharp 70 durameter squeegee. If you go to a lower mesh, it will apply a thicker layer of ink and the print will last longer outdoor, but you also run the risk of the ink bleeding under the screen and creating a mess. If you do opt for a lower mesh, make sure it is stretched extremely tight for best results.

You can go to an epoxy-based ink such as Nazdar's ADE series. It might hold up against UV light and oxidation a little better.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes... it depends a lot on the thickness of the printed ink film...a thin print won't last like a heavier thicker print.

and black will usually outlast red.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pam Eddy
Resident

Member # 1858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pam Eddy   Email Pam Eddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the information. Since I am not set up to do silk screening, I subbed out the work for 15 signs and picked them up yesterday. Instead of silk screening the aluminum signs like the sample sign my customer provided, the company digital printed them. When I questioned the longevity outdoors, they told me two years. This is not acceptable to me. I would never have agreed to digital printing. I have an HP Latex printer, so I could have done them myself with prints I could have applied over the 3x2 aluminum. Am I wrong to expect silk screened inks to outlast a digital print? The colors are vivid blue and dark aqua.

--------------------
Pam Eddy
Niles, MI
ple@qtm.net

Posts: 460 | From: Michigan | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Screen process inks can easily outlast most digitally printed inks.

Brad
signbrad.com

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Posts: 1230 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think your customer will be happy to get a 2 year print instead of screen printed. Did you specify with your subcontractor that you wanted screen printing? If so I would take them back and get them to screen print them or get a refund.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1265 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The technology has, and will continue to, improve over time. Digital prints have become much better and more durable. But I don't believe any prints will last, particularly outdoors, as well as screen printed ones.

I think your supplier should replace the signs they printed, or give you a refund.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pam Eddy
Resident

Member # 1858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pam Eddy   Email Pam Eddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jean, I provided the supplier with an actual sign the customer already had. That way they had size, substrate, color, and process ( silk screened ) that was used for their existing signs. ( plus a vector line drawing of the artwork and PMS colors sent to me by the customer's art department ). I was working on three different quotes with them at the time and "silk screening" was discussed, never digital printing.

--------------------
Pam Eddy
Niles, MI
ple@qtm.net

David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've found some of the UV direct to substrate prints are quite durable. Finding a supplier is harder. I even thought of buying a printer just to be able to do that, however, I couldn't justify it for the volume of work I'd do.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pam Eddy
Resident

Member # 1858

I agree with you there Dave. I appreciate everyone's input on this situation. Will let you know what happens.

--------------------
Pam Eddy
Niles, MI
ple@qtm.net

Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These days you need to leave the word 'silk' out of 'screening'.
It's monofilament polyester thread, rather than silk that is used, and I was told be several that to call it silk screening is a sign that you're not up to scratch with the industry nor terminology...
in other words, those in the industry might well ignore parts of your requests as being as outdated as that word, and 'they know better'...

We just call it screen-printing. [Smile]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pam Eddy
Resident

Member # 1858

OK "screen-printing" from now on. I ordered smaller signs at the same time and those were "screen printed" The one guy said 3'x2' signs were too big for screens and then went on about how dangerous inks can be and needing to wear gloves and mask. I mentioned I missed my lead based paint and he looked at me funny.

Will be taking the signs back Monday.

I appreciate everyone's replies and information on the topic of screen printing. It's something I never tried.

--------------------
Pam Eddy
Niles, MI
ple@qtm.net

Bill Modzel
Resident

Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Modzel   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Modzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boy, I'm not sure of this longevity comparison. I've been basically a flat stock screen pinter since 1980 and added an HP9000 and than swapped it out for an HP26500.
Right now, screen printed signs, at least red or green ones are noticeably fading in 2-3 years and I have laminated digital prints that have been out there over 5 years still looking pretty good.
Screen inks aren't what they used to be.
I have some NO Trespassing government signs that were vacuum shaped shields, White, red, blue and black that I printed in 1975 that are still looking great. I kept a few and they nailed to my cabin garage about 10 years ago.

--------------------
Bill Modzel
Mod-Zel screen Printing
Traverse city, MI
modzel@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1356 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!