Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Fun with scale models

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fun with scale models
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are always looking for and exploring new business opportunities while still purposely staying well within our defined core business strategy. One of those new venues is children's museums. Our business plan is simple. While everyone else is going slick and high tech we strongly believe children learn best when they are allowed to play and use their imagination. We also believe that a well designed and built play environment will have a much longer shelf life with much less maintenance which provides great value for our potential customers. We want to provide kids with something they can't find anywhere else.

We are currently working through the design process with a regional maritime museum. The digital and paper plans are now done on a very exciting project. We are on to the scale models at this point. I'm having a blast doing up the concepts which are to be presented at a massive gala event this coming Saturday. It's a pretty posh event with me having to wear a brand new suit and everything! [Smile]

Here's the models we are working on...

-

-

-

-

-

[ October 22, 2015, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grandpa never rests. I get tired just listening to him. Keep it up, Dan. You inspire all of us.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work. Let me see if I have this right...these are scale models of pieces which will be big enough to climb on?
Do you have a hard time getting to sleep on nights when you come up with these ideas? I'd be so jazzed that it would be 4 am for me.

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As always...wonderful creativity and fun ideas.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are indeed small scale models of full size pieces we are to build. The space we are doing measures 25' x 60' and will feature the sunken ship, the crab submarine (which kids can climb inside) an antique diving suit (front half) a cargo ship (25' long) wharf/ performance stage, tug boat, submarine periscope (unlike anything you've ever seen)and 'underwater' caves with the walls painted with appropriate murals. Plus there would be sound effects and dramatic lighting.

I just returned from the gala... And am sold on the effectiveness and value of models! We are going to be doing a lot more to sell and promote future projects!

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too cool! [Smile]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathy Weeks
Resident

Member # 10828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy Weeks   Email Kathy Weeks       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These bring out the kid in me!

--------------------
Kathy Weeks
Weeks-End Signs & Graphics
Lake Elmo, Minnesota

Posts: 249 | From: Lake Elmo, Minnesota | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How wonderful to be living a beautiful dream. This sounds like my idea of what heaven must be like.

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are similar to the size we sculpt in during the Sculpting Magic Workshops and it gives me so much pleasure watching each participant create something awesome with their hands. Amazingly most have always wanted to do something similar but never actually tried it. All do fantastic! We give them permission, insist they throw themselves wholeheartedly into their projects. Once started they need little encouragement.

I believe this is in almost all of us, begging to come out. We just have to purposely allow it and make a little time. Believe me it is a whole lot more fun than actually working. So few do it that once we figure out how to market this stuff there is good money to be made.

The world needs a whole lot more of this.

Thanks for everyone's encouragement. Now get busy doing your style for yourself!

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Dave Draper
Visitor
Member # 102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Draper   Email Dave Draper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After all the years of seeing your work, I am still amazed at what goes on in your head! And...I like it!

I couldn't make a project of any kind for myself.
But if a customer asked for it (like those things in the pictures you posted), I could do it for them.

I have always been envious of those, like you, who can do both, make something for yourself for no apparent reason other than to keep busy and entertain yourself in the process. It inspires us too! [Applause]

--------------------
Draper The Signmaker / Monumental Designs
http://www.monumentaldesigns.com

Posts: 2883 | From: Bloomington Illinois USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Dave

Thanks for your comments and kind words.

I have to comment on your statement above "I couldn't make a project of any kind for myself. But if a customer asked for it (like those things in the pictures you posted), I could do it for them. "

In order for us to have a business where we do this full time it is imperative we do models and sample pieces on a regular basis to show future customers what we can do. Most customers can't possibly imagine the things we can do. We have to SHOW them.

While I thoroughly enjoy making models it is not merely entertainment. Not nearly. It is premeditated success. We absolutely wouldn't be where we are without these samples.

In fact, you may remember the mechanical fish challenge we did about two years ago. That piece won us this half million dollar project. A fellow was driving by our place and stopped in on a whim. I gave him a tour of our studio and when he saw this sample piece he told me he had a project for us. After that brief tour he offered us a $200,000 contract to do a children's play facility at the museum. I told him we needed half a million dollars to do the job right. They accepted our offer and gave us carte blanche in the space. This model is the piece that clinched the deal. Samples are critical in our business model. We have three more models in progress right now. They are a sound investment!

-

[ October 27, 2015, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!