Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » The Edmond Fritzgerald Ship Lettering

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Edmond Fritzgerald Ship Lettering
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, saw this on TV last night. The ship sunk in 1976. I wondered who did the lettering. They did a real good job cause it's still there.
 -

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susan Banasky
Resident

Member # 1164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Susan Banasky   Email Susan Banasky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously not water based paint....haha....sorry, couldn't resist!

--------------------
Susan Banasky
Source Signs
Nanaimo, British Columbia
sourcesigns@shaw.ca

When in need....go directly to the "Source"!

Proud Supporter of this "Knowledge Network"!

Posts: 1323 | From: Nanaimo, B.C. Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out the R, not very professional. Spacing need lots of work. Must have been One Shot to last so well, the old stuff with lead.

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it was built 1957, sunk in 75.that tells us it aint vinyl)))))) am sure it had been repainted since 1957. and buy the looks of the lettering it was not a sign painter that did it. so that eliminates 1 SHOT.
maybe as most indutrial stuff get done.............
they uses standard "stencil letters" for layout, some guy at the shipyard with a steady hand, filled in the letters with a marine paint.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's amazing at how well some of those old wrecks stay preserved in the lakes. Although some of them are very dirty and murky, some of them are quite clear.

I snorkeled, many years ago, in Lake Michigan near Traverse City; and the bay we were in had an old ferry boat that had sunk, some 25 years earlier. She was just lying there in 40 feet of water, clean as a pin.

In the ocean, it would have been completely overgrown, and the lettering probably would've been mis-spelled by now...... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a documentary on some military planes that had fallen into the Bermuda Triangle. The aluminum was deteriorating, but the lettering was still shimmering in the water current where the aluminum was gone. Amazing that the lettering held up better than the fuselage. I recall they were WW2 vintage planes. Probably One Shot?

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't be too quick to say it wasn't lettered by a pro. I don't know how it is in the boat industry, but in R.R. equipment, sometimes the guy who engineered the mechanical design insists on designing the lettering also. Very mechanical, no rules of letter construction; but hey they're the educated experts. Made a sign for a doctor like that one time. The sign layout was awful, and his landscaping was worse! Call it nephew art by 'degrees'. Degrees! Get It?? Ha ha ha, my jokes are so bad that if I don't laugh at them, nobody will.
Oh well, Alicia's post made me go investigate the ship and wreck, probably read about it for an hour and a half. Interesting stuff, a number of credible sounding theories as to why the ship went down. It was traveling across the lake with another ship at the time. The other ship survived, and was asked by the (Coast Guard?) to turn around and look for the E.F.

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh no...not the Bermuda Triangle.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that it looks like the lettering was probably done by someone that worked on the ship, but I am not really surprised it has lasted so well. That ship has not seen sunlight for 40 years. Sunlight will do a lot more harm to paint than water.

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2274 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OP, how does that eliminate One Shot? I've seen it for sale in hardware stores and paint stores. Maybe that was part of the problem for taking the lead out. People were selling it to anybody so there's the possibility of lead paint on a baby's crib or on kids window sills.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope I didn't imply that there's much mystery surrounding the sinking. It was in a huge storm. The theories involve things like welds vs rivets, captain's negligence, bad hatch covers, etc. Everyone knows it was caused by the storm; but the final details are what's not agreed upon.

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kurt Gaber
Resident

Member # 256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kurt Gaber   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gaber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting topic Alicia... I'm from a small town on Lake Superior in the northern part of the state - Washburn, WI and our little town was very connected to this shipwreck. My childhood friend's father was on this ship when it went down in 1975. I was 10 and my buddy was 11. His mother was the secretary at the high school and this news really hit hard in our small community. There were 5 men of the 29 lost that were from our immediate area within an hour's drive. I did research papers about the wreck in high school and have read books about the shipwreck and just two years ago, we finally made it to the the shipwreck museum in northern Michigan. We saw actual items from the ship that floated ashore including life boats. Those images of the lettering... I wonder how old those were because those look like the photos they took when they sent down the ROV units in 1976 to verify the wreck. They dove again some 20-25 years later to recover the ships bell which is now on display at the shipwreck museum.

--------------------
Kurt Gaber
Chippewa Falls, WI
Thank You Letterheads for being a part of both Brush Bashes in '02 & '06!

www.gabersigns.com

"Just Wing It"

Posts: 315 | From: Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kurt. my uncle, a former doctor in Ashland, lives on the lake just around the corner from you. Their house is a couple hundred feet from the shoreline. It's not a steep hill but their house is definitely much higher than the lake, maybe as much as 30 feet. My Aunt said that during that storm, the waves were reaching their flagpole which was only about 30 feet from the house. They had never seen anything like it and they have lived there over 50 years.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kurt, I saw footage, newly filmed footage on TV last week. I think it was storys on "How the Weather Changed History" Can't remember why the divers went down there to see the ship, but when they did, the very first thing I noticed was the ship's lettering still intact. The photo in this post was downloaded from a google search.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OP, when I was about 22 a guy hired me to paint a big decoration on the side of his lunch truck. I had no idea what sort of paint to use, so I went to the local paint store and they sold me a bunch of 1-Shot.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!