Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Ford Transport Work Van

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ford Transport Work Van
shirley houston
Resident

Member # 4021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shirley houston   Email shirley houston       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I am not very good at math. Can someone give me (or draw me) the angle of the arc for over the windshield of a 2014 Ford Transport Work Van.

If you can just draw me the arc line I can fit the lettering to path.

Thanks for your help. Sorry to bother anyone.

You may email me at shirleyetc@sbcglobal.net

--------------------
shirley houston
shirley's etc
384 hillcrest st.
marianna, arkansas 72360
870-298-2624 shop
870-295-5409 home

Posts: 127 | From: marianna, arkansas 72360 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shirley...The most accurate way I have ever found to fit lettering to the top arc of a windshield is....

Cut lettering to size in a straight line. After applying the premask, cut a straight line across the top of the lettering leaving the amount of space you want the letters to be from the top, cut between the letters, apply the letters so that the top edge of each letter is parallel to the top of the windshield. Leave the premask on until all letters are applied. Start with the middle letter and work left and right from there. Just make sure that the top corners of the premask touch each other and the kerning will be correct.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shirley houston
Resident

Member # 4021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shirley houston   Email shirley houston       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave, thank you soooo much for the instructions.
I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to help me.

--------------------
shirley houston
shirley's etc
384 hillcrest st.
marianna, arkansas 72360
870-298-2624 shop
870-295-5409 home

Posts: 127 | From: marianna, arkansas 72360 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shirley houston
Resident

Member # 4021

Dave, after your wonderful instructions, I failed to mention that this lettering will go above the windshield rather than on the windshiel. The arc will be downward rather than upward as it would be if going directly on the windshield.

Can you please guide me in working with the kerning for a downward arc.

Thanks, Shirley

--------------------
shirley houston
shirley's etc
384 hillcrest st.
marianna, arkansas 72360
870-298-2624 shop
870-295-5409 home

Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty much the same Shirley, just line up the bottom edges of the letters instead of the tops. One other thing to consider. Before cutting the individual letters apart, draw a vertical centerline to compensate for narrower letters like "I".

-

[ September 08, 2015, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: Dave Grundy ]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shirley houston
Resident

Member # 4021

Oh Thanks for the diagram. That is really what I needed. Now I can proceed. Thanks sooooo much for your help.

Shirley

--------------------
shirley houston
shirley's etc
384 hillcrest st.
marianna, arkansas 72360
870-298-2624 shop
870-295-5409 home

shirley houston
Resident

Member # 4021

Oh Thanks for the diagram. That is really what I needed. Now I can proceed. Thanks sooooo much for your help.

Shirley

--------------------
shirley houston
shirley's etc
384 hillcrest st.
marianna, arkansas 72360
870-298-2624 shop
870-295-5409 home

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
going above the windshield.....nice space.
this is the same truck they use on AMERICAN PICKERS. [IMG]  - [/IMG]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I got a question...How you gonna get up there?

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Posts: 198 | From: Turlock, CA 95380, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about setting up 2 10 foot stepladders, facing each other....on either side of the van.

Put a pick board across, at whatever height, and work off of that.

Or, I guess you could have a glass company remove the windshield.....stand on the dash......put on the lettering.....and have the glass company come back and put the windshield back in. [Smile] Kidding......

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hire Spiderman to do the install.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Dale..I had a similar job once and wished that I had 2 ladders and a plank like you mention.

My solution was to take off my boots and socks and just crawl up on the hood lightly and carefully and hope that I did no damage to the vehicle. I got lucky!!!

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lol, I've done the same as Dave. I always made sure I had my cell in my pocket to call for a "rescue assist" in case the ladder fell over.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony McDonald
Resident

Member # 1158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony McDonald   Email Tony McDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me too Dave and Kissy,
I used my wifes garden soft spongy knee pad so my knobby knee caps didn't leave little dents in the hood.

If you can go side to side and get it taped up where you want it, center hinge each side, then cut your lettering in the middle, might be able to apply half on each side from a ladder? Won't work if it's a solid graphic all the way across.

The ladder and plank idea sounds like a good plan, or you could lay on the roof and do it upside down. Have had to do a couple boats in the water like that, with no platform on them. Can't walk on water ya know...lol

--------------------
Ace Graphics & Printing
Camdenton, MO. USA

acegraphics1@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1196 | From: Camdenton, MO. USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had to do a boat in the water upside down laying on the boat's deck with my husband holding my feet down. I sure am glad he wasn't mad at me that day - could have easily let go and sent me head first in the water. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1265 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shirley, I've also done vans like said above, by crawling carefully up the hood.....but.....

The reason I didn't mention it was, these new vehicles are using a newer, stronger, and thinner metal to make most of these bodies out of. It will flex to an extent, and spring back; but it also bends easily. I didn't want you to have to pay for a hood or bodywork.

I have a 2013 Hyundai Sonata, that I was cleaning the interior a few weeks ago. While I was cleaning the carpets, a neighbor's CAT walked across the hood. I looked up, and could actually see the hood give under each of his footsteps. I'm not kneeling or sitting on that hood!

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Purcell
Visitor
Member # 1140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Purcell   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Purcell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I lettered a similar van a couple of weeks ago (Nissan).

I ended up rolling down the windows and standing in the openings.

It was a bit of a pain, but I didn't like the working angle or the idea of being right over the windshield if I set up a bridge.

--------------------
Steve Purcell
Purcell Woodcarving & Signmaking
Cape Cod, MA

Intelligent Design Is No Accident

Posts: 900 | From: Cape Cod, MA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shirley houston
Resident

Member # 4021

Thanks everyone. The owner of this vehicle is actually going to apply it. I just cut it. He and his helper are tall enough they can reach from center of windshield to each side. This van is actually the one with the low profile over the windshield.

I sincerely appreciate everyone's help.

Letterville is the place to go. Everyone is always eager to help out a co-sign making person.

--------------------
shirley houston
shirley's etc
384 hillcrest st.
marianna, arkansas 72360
870-298-2624 shop
870-295-5409 home

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!