Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » US Supreme Court decision on yard signs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: US Supreme Court decision on yard signs
Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reed vs Town of Gilbert, Arizona.
I don't know if anyone has paid much attention to this US Supreme Court ruling, but it has the potential to affect sign ordinances all across the US. It will be interesting to see how things play out in the years to come as more city sign codes get challenged.
This decision was also a unanimous one, which is not super common for the Supreme Court.

I posted links on a blog page if anyone finds this interesting:

http://signbrad.com/2015/08/14/us-supreme-court-makes-unanimous-decision-on-yard-signs/

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Posts: 1230 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw that in the USSC newsletter. There are so many zoning rules that are unconstitutional it's not funny. But usually they don't get challenged because of the time & cost involved. Also anyone opening a new business doesn't want to make an enemy at town hall for fear of retribution.
I just had a garden center that wanted a changeable copy board, but the town only allows churches to have them. No way would that stand up to a challenge, but they aren't going to risk it.

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1125 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As an alderman (city council) in our little city, we're always plagued with temporary signage, that advertises cigarettes, energy drinks, coming events, etc., that are posted mostly by convenience stores. They slam them up with string or zip ties, to any kind of upright structure....and so often, after a few days, they're laying on the ground, or blown across the street. When the promotion is over, they just leave them hang. I'm going to limit how long those things can be up, and make the stores take them down, as soon as the ad is over.

Another thorn in my/our side is election signs. We've got several elections (city, county, township) running concurrently, and some of these guys have signs up for several months! What an ugly mess, to see 25 signs on a street corner! And I DO some of the damn things....hate 'em!

So at our last board meeting, I made a proposal to author an new sign code for our city. After showing the members pictures of the political sign mess in various locations, those temporary sale signs strewn all around, and those horrid feather banners, that come apart in a couple months and look like He-- anyway.....they all pretty much agreed that something needed to be done; and with my "extensive knowledge" of signage, these clowns are in trouble.

I checked with the state election commission, and they told me it was up to us, as a city, to set our own limits on how long temporary signs could be up.......so it's coming. I'm starting by stopping election signs being put up more than 30 days before an election. And there are already limits on how long they can be left up, afterwards. There are fines involved. I'm sick and tired of the "coroplast pollution" that these things present.

I've at least gotten a few laughs out of the locals, when the election's over.....I've got a SIGN, that I put out in our front yard that says,"YAAAAAAYY! THE SIGNS ARE GONE!" [Rolling On The Floor]

[ August 20, 2015, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: Dale Feicke ]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dale ... would this be OK?

-

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make a matching one for her (former) boss, and put 'em both in my yard anytime!

[ August 21, 2015, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: Dale Feicke ]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL Si...I guess you would prefer the "Trumpet"??? [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Modzel
Resident

Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Modzel   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Modzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll vote for that on Si! Heck, maybe I'll start printing them.

--------------------
Bill Modzel
Mod-Zel screen Printing
Traverse city, MI
modzel@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1356 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here in Orlando it is what type of business you have. like if you have a tattoo, pawn, check cashing, or psychic shop your in for trouble with signs very strict. But if a tourist trap or church have fun.

Now banners depends how wealthy the area you are in

Those coroplast temporary ones stuck in the ground with wire can be put up on friday nite taken down by monday morn are ok if on public property otherwise anyone can take them down, but if you a politician you can break all rules.
Now one thing the city has finally done is use robot calling on those illegally placed so it keeps calling filling up inbox & bothering ya number till you stop putting out signs, that has reduced the number of coroplast garbage ads.

In my area I knock them down all the time soon as I see them which has reduced placement.

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well we're having a heck of a time in my community. The Lions Club purchased digital sign panels to replace the illuminated changeable letter cabinet signs at the 3 main entrances to our town. The current signs are licensed by the State of Michigan and the Lions have always paid the necessary fees to keep these signs legal. They are all within city limits on US Highway 2. They wanted to remain legal so they reported their intentions to the state and are being denied 2 out of the three sign locations. The state is using the highway advertising act of 1972. Just because these are digital panels, the state is denying licensing. Light output will be lower than the current signs, so the "dark sky initiative" would be happy, and no advertising of commercial entities has ever been allowed on these signs.

We're meeting with a congressman on Monday to see what he can do about it. This community depends on these signs for dates of festivals, announcements of all kinds like "Citizen of the Year" and our local high school achievements. Most importantly, our local sheriff's department purchased an extra control keyboard for the units so they could put up amber alerts, emergency information and road closures without having to locate the Lion in charge of the signs.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curt Stenz
Visitor
Member # 82

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Stenz   Email Curt Stenz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have noticed in some cities that any temporary sign must be hand held by a human being. Usually there is some one sitting on a lawn chair reading a book, using the sign to shade them from the sun. The signs are gone at the end of the day.

--------------------
Curt Stenz Graphics
700 Squirrel Lane
Marathon, WI 54448

Posts: 590 | From: Marathon, WI 54448 | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Wood
Visitor
Member # 6543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Wood   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here in Winston-Salem NC, ANY SIGN ADVERTISING ANY BUSINESS IS ILLEGAL.A fine of $50 will be charged for each sign the y pick up.A friend of mine who owns a landscaping business was charged $1500.00 for signs he put out.
On Friday afternoon real estate companies put out hundreds of signs on every street corner advertising developments they are promoting.This is a SIGN FEEASSCO AND SO unfair.WHAT CAN WE DO ABOUT IT...N O T H I N G.

--------------------
Bill Wood
Bill Wood, Sign Artist
3628 Ogburn Ave., NE
Winston-Salem, NC 27105-3752
336-682-5820

Posts: 397 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!