Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Stripping Vinyl

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stripping Vinyl
Chris Lovelady
Resident

Member # 2540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris Lovelady   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am struggling getting old vinyl off vehicles and trailers. i have heated and tried scraping(comes off in little pieces) i have tried the erasers you put on a drill and that takes even longer and they are not cheap. i have even bought a fluid that says it is suppose to soften the vinyl and then you can pull it off....but it soften the paint on the vehicle. I have a customer that has bread truck with Full wraps and want to strip and re wrap but i cant get the vinyl off.

is there anyways to get vinyl off a vehicle that is not the methods i have describe. Please help!!!!

--------------------
"We have been making house calls since 1992"

Chris Lovelady
Vital Signs

NOW WITH 2 LOCATIONS!
Tallahassee, Florida
Thomasville, Ga.

www.vitalsignsllc.com
1-850-893-0674

Posts: 707 | From: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The one thing I've never tried but I will on the next project that I am forced into will be a wallpaper steamer. You can rent one at HD or a rental center.

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1125 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin W. Betz
Resident

Member # 4133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin W. Betz   Email Kevin W. Betz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you clean the Old Wrap and apply a New Wrap ?

--------------------
Kevin Betz
KB Sign Company
21321 Ulrich
Clinton Township, MI 48036
kbsigncompany@att.net

Posts: 229 | From: Detroit, MI | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me, an inexpensive wallpaper steamer does best.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only time I have real trouble taking off vinyl is when It is put on a very fresh paint job. RV's are also very bad. Sometimes I can get a single edge razor blade to get in between the vinyl and the adhesive. But you have to really be careful. Or, I cut the vinly in 2 inch strips and pull. But once again , you have to cut very carefully as to not get into the paint.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Glenn...cheapie wallpaper steamer. Nothing makes it simple, but the steamer is the best thing I have found to make it better.

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2274 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just remembered something I heard recently... a wallpaper steamer didn't work for me on one tough job which was a digital print stuck to the roof of a van.

The 'solution' was to thoroughly wet the vinyl with water -perhaps mixed with a detergent - and then completely cover it with a plastic sheeting, garbage bag or similar plastic covering, and leave it for a few hours to really sweat.

Apparently it'll lift off comparitively easily after that...

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On thee utter hand,,,,,,It kinda makes me smile when I hear about vinyl going bad. I predited a few years back about a glut of vehicles needing vinyl removal. I think as time goes on, it's gonna get worst-ter. People will be leaving that stuff on a heck of of lot longer than they anticipated. Gonna cost quite a bit to remove it.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't mind it a bit. It's an easy $75 per hour. Pay 2 high school students $10 per hour each to do it for me. I go do something else. They're happy and I'm happy.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See...I told ya Glenn has the right idea.

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2274 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can you imagine.removing a total vehicle wrap after 5-6 years in the sun?????

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not convinced that would be possible - total easy removal I mean... the horizontal panels would be the worst/hardest.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave Drane had a special tool and it worked great. He got it at the Las Vegas Sign convention.

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deb, what is the tool?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

It's the caramel-wheel wide stripper, like an angle grinder sort of...

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

Gary Boros
Resident

Member # 8487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gary Boros   Author's Homepage   Email Gary Boros   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sometimes will use a vinyl "zapper" wheel to remove graphics from vehicles, though I don't think it's the tool to use to do large trucks or wrap removal. I would suggest you look for a Transtar Stripe Removal & GP Abrasive Disc Tool Kit and/or just buy the Transtar Stripe Removal Wheels and use them in any regular drill. They are half the price of the MBX Zapper wheels and are essentially the same thing and work very well. If you are thinking about buying the tool in the kit, just be advised that it only comes in a pneumatic version and not an electric version. You should try your local auto parts dealer or Amazon for buying the wheels. Here is where I usually get my wheels from:

http://www.levineautoparts.com/transtar6673.html

I have read someone else's suggestion that the Vapor Blitz II Steamer would be capable of stripping one side of a semi in about an hour so I looked into it and spoke to the owner of the company. It appears to be a high quality product that would work well but the cost is high at about $1995. If it works and you'd be using it enough it would be worth it though.

www.amerivap.com/vapor-blitz-ii

--------------------
Gary Boros
SIGNWORKS STUDIOS LLC
Monroe, Connecticut, USA

Posts: 264 | From: Monroe, Connecticut, USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just for grins, and revenge of sorts...if your surface is -really- flat, you can use one of those old hand planers with a sharp blade. Pretty cool sound effects are a bonus.
Did it on an old rail car; the metal was a bit wavy, it worked on the high spots.

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!