Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Window Perf

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Window Perf
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone know of a digital printer that stocks Econovue interior clear window perf? I have a customr that wants to put the window perf on the inside and reverse print his window graphics. Since it is clear instead of white the graphics will show on the outside, cut down on the afternoon sun, and they can still see outside.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony McDonald
Resident

Member # 1158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony McDonald   Email Tony McDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dave..didn't know there was such a thing, but I have a dumb question..lol

If it's clear and inks are translucent, how will it block any sun?

--------------------
Ace Graphics & Printing
Camdenton, MO. USA

acegraphics1@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1196 | From: Camdenton, MO. USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Modzel
Resident

Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Modzel   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Modzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave, Advantage Sign Supply has a few versions of clear perf made by Contravision. I had got a sample roll direct from the mfg a couple of years ago and tried it out. Frankly, I didn't think it worked any differently than if I printed clear vinyl.

I was just reading their catalog and it basically states that you print a reverse image, than a white layer than a black layer which makes sense as that is what normal perf is.

You might check their on line catalog and see if you can glean any more information.

--------------------
Bill Modzel
Mod-Zel screen Printing
Traverse city, MI
modzel@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1356 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I've gotten a lot of information since I posted this. Yes there are actually 2 companies that make a clear window perf for interior application. What was bothering me is that the print would have no UV protection. It turns out that these are for pure interior application like inside malls and offices and usually involve decoration for ambiance more than actual advertising. My billboard wrap supplier knows of a company that does this and some of the materials are 3M but he said that installation is tricky and recommended that only certified 3M installers tackle this type of project. After going over all this info with my customer, he has no problem going with an exterior application.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember someone talking years ago at an Edge meet. Instead of the perf (which is a pain to clean), they were printing on clear vinyl but had set up clear "holes" in the print. It supposedly gave the same effect, but was a lot easier to clean & didn't collect water & gunk in the holes. I want to say they were using Flexi or something else, not Omega because I couldn't follow the conversation on how they set it up since I wasn't familiar with the software.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave,
The clear vinyl sounds like a good idea. I designed mine, sent it to another shop which does printing (Press Print Graphics in Panama City Beach). They printed it on the perforated film, overlaid it with clear coat and the CC seems to be keeping dust and trash out of the holes. Since my windows are tinted dark, I would think that it wouldn't have been as visible if installed on the inside. But I could be wrong.
 -

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Dish
Visitor
Member # 10782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Dish   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Dish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was Signlab Chris, if you are talking about the meet at Gary's.

--------------------
Brian
Vinyl Signs
Pittsburgh, PA.

Posts: 159 | From: Pgh., PA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup Brian! It was a vague memory of a long-ago conversation. Thanks for having a better memory than me.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems to me printing CMYK on clear with the holes set up in the print would work, as long as white is printed on first. Otherwise it will be very transparent.
I have printed CMYK images on clear and it gives a nice effect on interior windows but not for a window that has most of the light on the viewer's side with a darker room behind it. If the transparent effect is what you want, there would be no need for the perforation.
This gets hard to explain to customers. Samples come in handy.

--------------------
Chuck Peterson Designs
San Diego, CA

Posts: 1050 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!