Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » $99 Dollar Logo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: $99 Dollar Logo
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must say that if I were starting a new business and I heard about getting a logo and website for $99, I would do it. So that tells me it is up to the designer/sign shop to get the word out about being a better designer than what you can find on the web. But some ,some of those designers are pretty good. So maybe high dollar design is a thing of the past. How many times do we hear, "I found this logo on the web" "Yuki" You can lead a horse to water,,,,,,,

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What frustrates me is not that they are getting these logos cheaper, but that they are not designed with future use in mind, which means a lot of work for the person who has to create the marketing/sign/promotional items afterwards. In the end the client often ends up paying more by the time each use has to reconfigure the logo into useable artwork. I detest having to rework someone else's mush.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a "designer" around here. Every single time I got a logo that was created by this person, I had to explain to the customer that what works in print doesn't necessarily work on signs, i.e. using Papyrus for the name!

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathy Weeks
Resident

Member # 10828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy Weeks   Email Kathy Weeks       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys hit the nail on the head!
I've seen some nice logos on the web, but then can see right away that some won't translate to a sign, banner or truck graphic.
Most designers don't design logos with future use/or production in mind.
On the other hand - most customers don't mention to the designer what the logo is being used for or on - to trigger some thought. I believe College course instructors do not explain to their students about future use and production, probably because they don't know anything about it themselves.
My blood pressure goes up when I get a logo designed by a designer that has crappy fonts, crappy layout and crappy designer colors, like "burnt sage" - Whaaat? How am I supposed to make that look good on a dark blue truck?
I do try to educate new business owners when having a logo created to consider what that logo will be used on and for - some listen, some don't. Showing them good and bad designs sometimes gets the light bulb to come on quickly.

--------------------
Kathy Weeks
Weeks-End Signs & Graphics
Lake Elmo, Minnesota

Posts: 249 | From: Lake Elmo, Minnesota | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$99 is way to expensive- I was approached several times to join and work for "fiver" website- they offer all kinds of services including logo design, photography, etc… for $5…. FIVE DOLLARS!!!!!…. are you kidding me… FIVE DOLLARS????!!!! for a project…. what is this world coming to?!!!

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And then there is the 'I got this logo designed, but you need to stretch it so it will fit on my 3ft by 10ft sign."

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the saying goes ...You get what you pay for.

Here in Orlando it is like watching all those $99 logos & under develope & seeing the results, sorry to say it is the worst of the worst here then ya get a mix of awesome.

It is surely different from the past when even a new or poorly done sign painters were at least willing to improve & learn compared to now mostly just want to make money & only a few really care to to the best.

Outfits like Vista print & $99 logos really just sell what ya pay for & I for one does not know how to educate the buying business customer what the difference is.

The best way I able is to hand paint signs that PCs have a hard time with be it cost or unable & hopefully win customer over in areas that show my positive sides.

This is a common complaint what PCs have done to this great industry how best can we educate the buying business public ?

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!