Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Finally getting up to date around here ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Finally getting up to date around here ...
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I have been putting off buying a new computer, but my system has been leaving me little hints that it is old and tired. So, my gut tells me I better bite the bullet soon.

I will be ordering a new computer this week, and it looks like the one I'm looking at comes with Windows 8.1 with a free upgrade to windows 10 when it becomes available. I do have the option of getting it with windows 7. At one time I was hearing a lot of moans and groans about 8, so I'm wondering if there are still concerns, or if it is just a matter of getting used to it. Also, hoping 8 plays nice with Corel. [Smile]

Coming from Corel x3, I'm finding out I'll be having to buy a new version of Corel, rather than being able to upgrade. (bummer)

The thing that really has me shell shocked is the cost of Photoshop these days. I'm not seeing it for under $1600. Is this for real???? Are people actually paying as much for a software program as they would a whole computer system?
I am thinking I may have to do something abit differently here in that regard. Any suggestions?

Lastly, I am trying to decide whether to do a dual monitor system with 2/ 24" monitors, or to just get a larger monitor and stick with one.

I appreciate those with more experience for some insight because you guys have a better understanding of what people in our "tribe" need in a computer. My existing computer is almost 8 years old now, and so I've been out of the loop on some of the technological changes of late.

Any advice or direction would certainly be helpful to me right now.

~ janette

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Janette...Our current laptops have Win 8.1 and CorelDraw x3 works just fine on them. If you are upgrading from XP Win 7 would be an easier progression. I have had Win 7 for a few years and the change to 8.1 was a little confusing at first, but now I like it. As far as a monitor, I have a 28" and find it to be fine.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have two monitors and really like the convenience of seeing two different things at once and being able to drag back and forth.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RAY...... its that bi-polar thing.........2 things at once))))))hahahahahahahahahaa
only problem with X3 there is no more support for it. i have WIN 7 and it runs just fine. i stil do most of my work from it. i got an academic version of X7. DONT LIKE IT. glad i didnt get a full version ans i still use X3. i sent a graphic to fill an order for some front plates for vehicles.....i worked it up in X7, only to find out i had to redo it in X3. X7 FILES are not backward compatible!!!! as the place that was making the auto tags....couldnt use X7 files))))
oh and when you asked what hard drive you want get a 250 gig SSD for your main drive. you can slave a 1TBYTE for saving files....

as for MONITORS.......look at 28-32" 1080p FLATSCREEN TV...... i have a visio 28......LOVE IT!!!and it was under $300....4 years ago))))

[ April 22, 2015, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Raymond about using two monitors, for the convenience of having different programs running without having one "intrude" on the other, but I still like my one largish one. Of course, if I were still in the workforce, I would probably have two 28" monitors. [I Don t Know]

DEFINITLY get a computer with a solid state drive. We have 250 GB SSD's currently, but once we are back in Canada, I will be upgrading to 960 GB SSD's. (on sale at Tiger Direct recently for about $350) WAY faster than HDD.

Never skimp on the RAM and be very careful to check the processor speed, faster is better. AMD has, in my opinion, much better options than Intel.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dittos on the duel monitors.

While I agree with Dave about the ram (there is never enough) and the SSD, I've grown to prefer the Intel I7 processor. Photoshop CC 2014 seems to be faster and more responsive with it than any of the computers I have with the AMD chip.

As for Photoshop, if that is all you need, I believe you can subscribe to it for about $10 per month.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AMD is a non starter any more. Yes they run good. But the AMD chips lost the power long ago. Yes they are cheaper. At one time gamers used AMD because it could be hacked ro run faster over time.

However Today, the Intel chips has the advantage hands down in speed and rendering larger files
Any I7 chips is the one to get. They are screaming faster than anything else out there. Yes, Apple uses them in their machines too.

There is not one single chip that will do what the Intel chips will do including on board graphics without the need for a high end video card.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5273 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd listen to Curtis on the Intel chips.

I also prefer 2 monitors. One big monitor is nice, but, you will increase your window to fit your artwork. I like having a full window open on both monitors, like sometimes I have a logo that I'm redrawing and I like to have Illustrator up on my main monitor and have the jpg version on the other to reference without having to click on it to bring it forward. And yes, (I feel the earth shaking) I agree with Joe about getting TV's as monitors.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Windows 8.1 is a really difficult program and so much different from XP. None of the old MS or Corel programs work on the 'new' system. Honestly, I only use that laptop for email and rarely at that. I will never trust Microsoft again as the 8.1 is a total joke.

Now, it is rare that I bash anyone, but the 8.1 is really a poor excuse for an upgrade. I do not care what it does better. The downside was a complete waste of my money.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Local computer shop here will not build a system with or work on computers with Win 8. They hate it.
They have been using Win 10 for a while and love it, just awaiting the release. I've heard that 8 was designed for touch screens.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Add my recommendation to a Solid State system also. A local shop built my latest computer with Win 7 and it has been working great for almost a year. It has never been connected to the internet. I am not very computer savvy, but it has a ton of RAM and more storage than I will ever use.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use SignWizard 6.0, Corel x4, and Aspire 2.5 every day in Windows 8.1 with no problems. The only things I hate about it is that stupid flyout at the right of the screen and the way it flips between screens like when you have opened a pdf file.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The system I am ordering does have a solid state drive. and 24 ram. I had the option to get a larger hardrive and 32 ram for 200 bux more, but decided against it. I am leaning towards doing window 7 for now, and they will upgrade me to 10 for free when it gets released. I think I may just side step any potential issues with 8.1.

I am going to check out some monitors at Costco this weekend. Will keep you posted on what I decide in that regard.

I sure do appreciate you folks. This was a daunting task for me, and it's good to get some feedback from other users.

--------------------

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
monitors....aka LCD TV....VISIO, SAMSUNG, sony, INSIGNA....all top brand names.
1. 1080P NOT LESS.......
and read this little article
http://www.wikihow.com/Pick-a-Flat-Screen-TV

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Janette...You'll like the speed of the SSD and the 24 GIG of ram. (The processor speed is also important. Whether it is Intel or AMD, I would be wanting at very least 3.5 GHz. in a desktop. I am sure, Curtis will dispute that too though) [I Don t Know] [I Don t Know]

I won't add any info on a monitor selection since you were the gal who "blew me away" when I had a 14" monitor and you introduced me to the HUGE 21" monitor that you had back in 1998!!!!

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

This is the system. http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-8700-se/pd?ref=PD_Family I'm getting the middle one.

--------------------

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

www.janettebalogh.com

Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm jealous.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
24GB memory? Me too!

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!