Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Sandblast Quandry

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sandblast Quandry
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the going rate for sandblasted signs? I've got to do a quote on basically a 6 foot by 6 foot, double-sided sign. I guess I use the 2" HDU.

It will be 3 separate panels, but all are the same colors....blue and white.

I'll probably mount it between 2 PVC poles; but I'm just concerned about the price of the sign itself, at present.

Thanks in advance.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If 2 inch HDU ( 30 lbs.) sells for $75./square foot, .......You pick it up from there, Dale, and figure out the rest.

I belive that they will only sell 4ft x 8ft sheets.

Check this out:

http://atlassignsandplaques.com/2inchthickhdufoam18pound1squarefoot.aspx

RD

[ April 13, 2015, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: Ricardo Davila ]

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the heads-up on the website, Ricardo!

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[ April 13, 2015, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: Ricardo Davila ]

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin W. Betz
Resident

Member # 4133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin W. Betz   Email Kevin W. Betz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Question is will the Sign be Blasted with or
with-out a Grain Frame. With a Grain Frame creates more work.

kb

--------------------
Kevin Betz
KB Sign Company
21321 Ulrich
Clinton Township, MI 48036
kbsigncompany@att.net

Posts: 229 | From: Detroit, MI | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goddinfla
Visitor
Member # 1502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for goddinfla   Email goddinfla   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe if you multiply 32 sq/ft times $75/sq/ft you come up with $2400, not $230. Surely no one is selling raw sheets for that amount. Also using 2" HDU 6 feet long between posts is a broken sign waiting to happen. Something has to be inside for lateral strength.

--------------------
Dennis Goddard

Gibsonton Fl

Posts: 1050 | From: Tampa Fl USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My two sided HDU signs would consist of two(2) 1.5'' sheets thickness of 15# HDU with embedded aluminum extrusions inside, running from end to end and protruding out the sides to mount to the posts. So they are 3'' thick. My price depends on complexity. So I would charge about $190/sqft if it's just a rectangle, lettering only, no graphics, and no inset borders etc.

If it has a fancy shape, inset borders, graphics, I would get about $220/sqft

So, for the project you described, the price would range between $6840 and $7920 plus tax, posts, and installation.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Oooops!!!!.....My bad.....Dale, my apologies for the
mistake.

Dennis, thanks for catching my mistake.

Back in the year 2000 to 2003, I believe that we were paying around $800 per sheet.....( 2" x 4ft. X 8ft.....

This was the supplier we used, then:

http://precisionboard.com/

RD

[ April 13, 2015, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: Ricardo Davila ]

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This one is 3'' thick has two aluminum rectangular tubing extrusions in each of the two units, and was about $8500 installed. But that was several years ago so it would be more now.
http://www.webbsignworks.com/index_htm_files/99.jpg

[ April 13, 2015, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

[ April 13, 2015, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: Ricardo Davila ]

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice sign Wayne...I'm happy you can get those prices where you live...but that's not going to happen in my neck of the woods.

sounds like you've got a good system worked out for your two sided signs...I like how the tubing allows you to float the signs between the posts.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Thanks Rusty, If I'm doing a single sided sign, like that one, it is about $100/sqft which is not unreasonable anywhere. But my 2 sided HDU signs are double the thickness, laminated back to back with epoxy and dados are milled inside both layers to accommodate the aluminum extrusions. That's why the price is more than double.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We were getting $100 psf for a single sided sign more than two decades ago. Costs and prices have risen sharply since then as have our prices.

Like Wayne we do our signs with metal sandwiched in between layers of Precision Board. We further add value by adding truly dimensional sculpted elements and imaginative support structure that cost more than the sign faces.

We live in a small town, far from the big city and yet sell enough to keep a good sized crew busy. First we need to believe in ourselves and then sell with confidence. Build it and they will come!

- gramp dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Dan....
$100 Canadian, now, would be about $80.13 USD which is about what I was charging two decades ago and what I'm charging now would be $124.80 Canadian. [Smile]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Jeff Wisdom
Resident

Member # 6193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Wisdom   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Wisdom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dale,

It varies with the area, I charge $100 sq ft per side on sandblasted HDU. This is for a pretty straight forward design. I do blast two signs like Wayne that are 1.5" thick and sandwich them with steel or aluminum supports. So a 6x6 would be $3,600 per side, or $7,200 You also need to figure in your mounting brackets and installation.

--------------------
Jeff Wisdom
SignWorks
info@oregonsignworks.com

Posts: 450 | From: Oregon | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys!!!!!! It's been awhile since I did a fairly involved blasted sign, which this one is.

I've not really kept up with the prices of the related materials; or increased labor rates.

I don't really think $100 per sq. ft. will fly in this area; but if I can get 75 or 80, I'll be happy.

Thanks for all the great input!

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wayne, were you reading my mind? I don't need to bother posting now. Except I use steel inside mine because I don't weld aluminum.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!