Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Santa fe

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Santa fe
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Life running a gallery is quite different from my former business of sign painting and ad coordination for the car dogs. I go down the hill about a quarter mile to Canyon Road every morning about 9.30 and hang out there until 5 or 6. I have a courtyard studio in back where I paint for four or. Five hours every day and wait on maybe thirty people a day who come in to browse...some cool and cultivated people. My partner, Susie has a studio there as well as we take turns waiting on lookers. Everyone who comes in is polite and very respectful. So much different from ten years ago when I was downtown on the Plaza.

January and February were tough months for sure, but. March was profitable with the return of spring tourists. It was a good time to get a lot done like expanding the space into the entire building. The city demanded I install better screws for our east 2x3' wall sign. I had used six 2" concrete screws. They insisted I use five inch long 3/8" lags
Bolts..... Guess they expect 800 mile winds sometime!
Ok, no problem. Got er done and approved.

Life is good and feeling great, come visit us!
Www.mccallfineart.com

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why do you think your customers now are classier than before on the Plaza?

Maybe because you havent seen the summer tourists yet?

[ April 15, 2015, 02:21 AM: Message edited by: Dennis Kiernan ]

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The crowd is older for one thing. Downtown we had many more younger people and many more strollers. Up here we get a more seasoned art looker, despite that some are just 'lookers'.

Historically, Canyon Road has had more artist owned galleries and studios, however today the high cost of rents has weeded out many. It is not that their work was inferior, but moreover that they just could not capitalize the slower months.

The few of us who are artist owned galleries offer the artist being present, which is a big deal to many of the buyers. They want to meet the artist and that is a big advantage, compared to just another slick gallery that has some professional sales force who know little about the work, other than how to sell it.

The people who come in really are a more interesting lot with better stories and interesting backgrounds, compared to some day trippers up from Albuquerque on a date or gallery stroll. I just had three Episcopal priests come in who were wonderfully interesting with their spin on what art is.

Conversely, last week I had a brassy rich lady, overdressed and dripping in jewels who asked about a desk we have, It is an antique looking, fancy piece that has a violin tole painted on the front of it. The lady asked me if it was Mozart's. I nodded and said that was his laptop as well. I honestly think she believed me...so not everyone up here is so educated or cultured.

All in all it is such a different daily experience than working with a bunch of car dogs in my former life. It is very interesting daily entertainment!

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joy Kjer
Resident

Member # 3026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joy Kjer   Author's Homepage   Email Joy Kjer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What an interesting path you have taken Preston! Your descriptions of gallery life down there make for interesting reading. I hope it continues to work out for you. I'm glad I don't have the city of Sante Fe on my back when installing a sign!

--------------------
Joy Kjer
Art On Display Signs
4001 Randolph St
Lincoln, NE

"My life has a superb cast,
but I can't figure out the plot."

Posts: 445 | From: 4001 Randolph St. Lincoln, NE | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Yearwood
Visitor
Member # 2723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Yearwood   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Yearwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Preston.
Glad you are back there doing what you love. I show at InArt Gallery just off Canyon Rd on Delgado and will be out there for the Passport to the Arts Quick Draw on May 9. I plan to stay a few days, so I'll look you up! I love Santa Fe and spend quite a bit of time out there.

--------------------
Mark Yearwood
Yearwood Design Works
Tecumseh, OK
www.yearwooddesignworks.com
www.markyearwood.com

Posts: 1027 | From: Tecumseh, OK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DO you go letter a hundred windshields a day on the car lots for a vacation day? You know, just to refresh the memories?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6714 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

After 185,000 windshields, I have officially retired. I did keep some brushes, but will have to refresh my enamels before going back into battle.

I see more and more computer cut vinyl signs though. Mark Wisdom in Albuquerque is doing quite a few of these. I called them my "Motorsigns" when I was doing them, but not nearly as popular as direct hand-painted versions. Mark and I were on the same little league baseball team back in grade school and have maintained a great friendship over the years.

I paint landscapes now, every day in my outdoor courtyard studio in the rear of the gallery. The people who come in to admire the current piece I am doing are much more fun than the car dogs. The best part is driving out 40 miles or so several times a week to get inspiration from the incredible scenery around here. The skies, the trees and the hills are very interesting.

I get to meet interesting people now and paint every day.....and eat Mexican food! Not a bad move away from working on a ladder every day and leaning over car hoods. Still, I would like to go back to some windshields painting, but try using a blind cane to act like the blind guy who can paint windshields. Would take a helper to go in and sell them and some sunglasses! i would love to have some fun doing that one time.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!