Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Vinyl Removal

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vinyl Removal
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hummm, has anyone come up with a good pricing plan on vinyl removal? It's so tricky. I thought of doing a "Per Square Foot" pricing quote. But even then, 1 big letter takes way less time then 25 little 1/2 in tall letters. And then there is the reflective vinyl removal nightmare. Yikes! How about $15.00 per square foot on regular vinyl and $40.00 sq ft for reflective?

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be tempted to set "so much" per hour, for your labor rate for this type of work; and just tell the customer it's going to be charged "time and material".

There are many different brands, types and grades of vinyl, each with its own quirks and headaches. You don't know what you're dealing with, until you get into the job.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Dale....I removed my share of old vinyl over the years and it was ALWAYS "time and materials". For good customers, I'd give them a guestimate, but always said that it would end up being "time and materials".

One time I told a trucker that and he said he'd remove the old vinyl himself. He lasted about an hour and gave up. His wife took over with a metal scraper and scotchbrite pad!!!!

When I showed up to install the new graphics, he hung his head in shame and apologised and admitted that he should have left the job to someone who knew what they were doing, no matter what the cost.

Quite often the cost of removing old vinyl or paint was more than the cost of replacing it.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always explain to the customer that removing vinyl from 1 truck door can take from 30 minutes to 4 or 5 hours. I will remove it for $100.00 per hour. They can let me do it for time and materials or, if they HAVE TO HAVE a firm bid, it will be 6 hours per door to be sure I am covered.

Most let me do T&M, but some try it themselves first then bring it back for me to finish on T&M, but a few have gone with the quote. I love it when they take the quote, and it ends up taking 45 minutes to strip both doors. I do not back off the price, because I tried to explain it to them in the beginning.

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2274 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joy Kjer
Resident

Member # 3026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joy Kjer   Author's Homepage   Email Joy Kjer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We charge by the hour as well with a half hour minimum. If they don't want to pay us $50 an hour they can do it themselves. There's no way you can guess how long it will take for any vinyl!

--------------------
Joy Kjer
Art On Display Signs
4001 Randolph St
Lincoln, NE

"My life has a superb cast,
but I can't figure out the plot."

Posts: 445 | From: 4001 Randolph St. Lincoln, NE | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$60/hr or $1/minute. It usually takes only a few minutes for a couple of doors, but it depends on the type vinyl and how long it's been on there.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It usually takes only a few minutes for a couple of doors
WOW... Wayne you must be living a charmed life when it comes to vinyl removal!!!! [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a ''lil chisler'' and a hair dryer or heat gun when needed. But, again, it depends on the type vinyl and how long since it was installed.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Around here, in general, big trucks are considered work vehicles; and most don't necessarily have to look good. This area has a lot of log trucks, and these guys buy and sell them like hotcakes.

It's amazing when they call, and say "I'll bring the truck over tomorrow for you to letter; but you don't have to worry about taking the old lettering off. I'll get it." Next day, the truck shows up....glue crap and razor blade gouges.

I remove the glue residue, and put on the vinyl.......and off they go. They're always happy with the work. I guess I'm just too used to doing cool and distinctive work.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I just called an auto detailer. I asked 'Blab blab balb,,,,,,remove stickers?". He said he has to see the vehicle first before he can give a price. So there, I have to see the vehicle first before I can give a price.

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

I get that a lot too, Dale. Mostly older semi tractors.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

There ya go Alicia...Ask here...get sensible answers from folks that have years of experience and know the answers.... then you call some auto detailer and now you know what to do???

Forget about thanking folks who took the time to reply here.

Best of luck on "quoting" a price after "seeing" the vehicle...You might win on one job, but the next one WILL bite you in the ass....

Vinyl removal is and was always a time and materials job.

Thank you for not replying to well documented experiences.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always do removals hourly & tell them it's for vinyl & adhesive removal. I've had a couple where the customer removed the vinyl themselves. I don't know how they did it, but all that was gone was the vinyl. Every bit of the adhesive was still there. And I think it took longer to clean that off than it would have for me to remove it all the right way.

Also: I removed a truck I had lettered. I pulled my lettering job sheet afterwards to make sure it was the same rolls of vinyl for the whole truck. 1 bedside took me 1/2 hour, the other took me 3 hours.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony McDonald
Resident

Member # 1158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony McDonald   Email Tony McDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spent about 7 hours removing the vinyl from an enclosed trailer a few months ago. Pretty sure it was calendar vinyl to start with, and all cracked up.
The adhesive was the hardest part. Tried several removers, and all but Rapid Tac wanted to take the paint off also. Was a slow go...

Saw a chevy express van not long ago where they removed the vinyl themselves....not sure what they used, but it was down to shiny metal where all the lettering was.

--------------------
Ace Graphics & Printing
Camdenton, MO. USA

acegraphics1@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1196 | From: Camdenton, MO. USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Rapid Remover is the way to go on adhesive remover...and it smells like oranges [Smile] . But if you spill some in the yard, it will kill the grass. hmmmmmm.....how do I know that?

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Ah ca mon Dave, don't be giving me caca for asking "Someone Out of this business" Different opinions are great. Besides, I much rather have my customer take their vehicle to an auto detailer for vinyl removal. At least the guy has the equipment to buff out the doors when he's done. I ani't doing any buffing. On the other hand, if I can make money doing this as well, no problem. It's the pricing part. I think if a person wanted to, they can open a business just doing vinyl/sticker removal. And I don't want to get into full vehicle wrap removal, just torch the whole darn thing. Oh, and speaking of torches, on big trialer letters, I 've seen body shops use "Brush Burner" torches to heat up the letters/graphics for removal. I'd like to try that one day, just for a funny video.

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Oh, as for the adhesive removal, I always use RapidTac followed by a BonAmi cleasing. The BonAmi powder picks up the melted adhesive. Then ya jus hose it all off. It's still messy, but it works. "Hasn't scratched yet!"

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Carol Kaufmann
Visitor
Member # 2643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Kaufmann   Email Carol Kaufmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Alicia hope you don't mind me jumping in on this. I had a fleet of trucks/vans that I had to remove the vinyl before I could letter them and I am just getting too old and cranky and my hands hurt just thinking about it so...I bought a vinyl zapper from Grimco. Worth every dollar. That thing takes a little muscle to hold on to put took off not only the vinyl but ALL of the adhesive. Need to wear eye goggles and clean up is all the powder that it blows off. But wow.
They had a print on the hood of the first one that I spent 45 minutes on - tried every trick in the book and could not get it off. Went back with the zapper and it took maybe 5 minutes. Sweet! Looking forward to seeing you in Delavan!

--------------------
Carol Kaufmann
Watseka Sign
1801 N State Rt 1
Watseka, IL 60970

Posts: 33 | From: Watseka, IL | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary Boros
Resident

Member # 8487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gary Boros   Author's Homepage   Email Gary Boros   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sometimes will use a vinyl "zapper" wheel to remove graphics from vehicles. I would suggest you look for a Transtar Stripe Removal & GP Abrasive Disc Tool Kit and/or just buy the Transtar Stripe Removal Wheels and use them in any regular drill. They are half the price of the MBX Zapper wheels and are essentially the same thing and work very well. If you are thinking about buying the tool in the kit, just be advised that it only comes in a pneumatic version and not an electric version.

--------------------
Gary Boros
SIGNWORKS STUDIOS LLC
Monroe, Connecticut, USA

Posts: 264 | From: Monroe, Connecticut, USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had some doors to do recently and half the vinyl was cast, the other half was calendered. That stuff broke off into little fingernail sized bits. Horrible.
I'd bought a caramel coloured zapping wheel for an electric drill some years ago and I went and got it. It was fantastic! Yellow powder everywhere, and I wore out 1/4 of the wheel, but it made short work of a horrid job- no adhesive left behind either.

With reflective vinyl, I've taken to putting a cast vinyl panel down first, and the reflective on top-for ease of removal when the time comes.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just had a look-it was/is a Transtar tractor wheel vinyl remover. Worth every penny I spent on it!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Hi Carol, Yep, I have the replacement wheel for the vinyl zapper. When I get a chance, I'm gonna hook it up to the $15.00 grinder I have. I just can't pay $500 for a grinder. It's just the wheel that does the job anyways. I'll have to do a video when I get my contraption together,

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Gary Boros
Resident

Member # 8487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gary Boros   Author's Homepage   Email Gary Boros   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should try your local auto parts dealer for buying the wheels. Here is where I usually get my wheels from:

http://www.levineautoparts.com/transtar6673.html

--------------------
Gary Boros
SIGNWORKS STUDIOS LLC
Monroe, Connecticut, USA

Posts: 264 | From: Monroe, Connecticut, USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curt Stenz
Visitor
Member # 82

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Stenz   Email Curt Stenz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of BonAmi powder, I use it all the time in the kitchen. Word of caution here, DO NOT buy the "improved" powder in the white and red container. It does not dissolve near as well as the old stuff.

Always look for the metallic gold container.

In a pinch I have used it as flattening agent in enamel lettering paint as well.

--------------------
Curt Stenz Graphics
700 Squirrel Lane
Marathon, WI 54448

Posts: 590 | From: Marathon, WI 54448 | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony McDonald
Resident

Member # 1158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony McDonald   Email Tony McDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a 16' box trailer to do in the next week or so.
They've already removed the vinyl, but not the adhesive.
Don't know how long it has been this way,
but it's probably baked pretty crispy.
The upside is there isn't a lot of it.

My local Oreilly auto parts has the transtar wheel
in stock. Think it would remove this adhesive without damaging the old paint?
Also, will the transtar wheel work in a normal electric drill?
The wheel says it's 4,000 rpm max...and my drill is probably about 800 rpm.

--------------------
Ace Graphics & Printing
Camdenton, MO. USA

acegraphics1@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1196 | From: Camdenton, MO. USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

It'll work, Tony!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

Gary Boros
Resident

Member # 8487

Yes, it will work but you will probably go through a few wheels trying to do the entire side of a box truck. If the vinyl is already removed and you only have adhesive to deal with, you are better off using Rapid Remover. The Transtar wheel will work in a regular drill just like it is but there is a very short threaded stud that protrudes out from the wheel that you can just barely grip in the chuck of a drill. If you have a chance to pick up an adaptor for that then it is better and easier to chuck in a drill. I don't think the auto part stores carry an adaptor, they might but I know you can get them on line at Amazon with a wheel. I'm pretty sure that the "Transtar" wheels are the same as many other generic wheels or wheels marketed as Whizzy Wheel and other names. I think they are all imported from the same manufacturer, I just find the Transtar to be a better deal and more reliably available. These wheels are pretty easy on the paint finish, especially on a box truck you should have no problem.

[ April 04, 2015, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: Gary Boros ]

--------------------
Gary Boros
SIGNWORKS STUDIOS LLC
Monroe, Connecticut, USA

Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I solved that problem many years ago!

I tell the customer that I do not remove vinyl and to take it to a detail shop!

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Grundy:
quote:
It usually takes only a few minutes for a couple of doors
WOW... Wayne you must be living a charmed life when it comes to vinyl removal!!!! [Smile] [Smile]
Dave, I agree with Wayne. I always give them the "opportunity" to do it themselves I charge $60+ per hour, 1 hour minimum. That being said, I have invested money into good tools and chemicals to reduce the time it takes.. And, Rapid Remover isn't free either. [Wink]

[Cool]

[ April 05, 2015, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: Rick Beisiegel ]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3484 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!