Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » A little Higher

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A little Higher
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today I quoted a job for a couple of vehicles. Being that they were on the complicated side, I quoted much higher than usual. And the response "Thanks for your time, I'll get back to you". And then there's the wall job I quoted last Febuary, I haven't heard back from them yet. But it's all good. If everyone says "Yes". You are too low. And I quess if everyone say "NO", then maybe you are too low or you live in a real depressed part of town.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3814 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alicia...You might want to re-read the final part of your comment and change one word from "low" to "high".

BUT I understand what you are saying.

My attitude always was, I'd rather watch TV for free instead of doing work for free.

I also always liked Si's attitude...(Give them a price and if they don't flinch...say 'plus labour or materials', whatever works)

Where we lived, I had a tough time getting $25 for lettering a mailbox for a farmer, but had no problem getting $800 to letter a truck for a trucking company.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh its getting to be a real "cluster f***" around here. all of the shops that existed when i was working full time, are still in business..and all have printers. in the last year.....a stretch of road here near my house.........from the race track(5 flags speedway) to michigan ave(cross street)of less then 5 miles.now has 4 sign shops...all tryin to keep a printer .....printing)))) which means that none of em....... have anything to offer the public....OTHER THEN ...doing the jobs for less money(profit)!!!!!!!
do i want to get into this CF??? nope......iam better off having one of them do anything i need printed......and sell it.......and get paid for doing nothing more then sending a file and going to pick it up)))))))
i still have some vinyl work i do, but iam not out lookin for any.

[ March 20, 2015, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe...yer just a little like me now...Kinda

Any work I do now is absolutely free. and limited to whatever can be produced on my inkjet printer or subbed out to a print shop in Progreso.

Anything I produce now is gratis and is done for a good cause. Like the Chicxulub Food Bank...

http://foodbankchicxulub.com/

I am happily retired, but still like "playing" with CorelDraw and seem to learn something new every month or so.

Life is good!

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think part of the problem, (Not really a problem) is when a design is not designed my me. When I design, I try to keep in mind the customer;s budget. When a customer designs or already has a desgin in mind, they really don't realize how long or how the job will be executed. The van job was to be printed on reflective, well that's just gonna cost or whole heck of a lot more than a regular print or plan vinyl. I evn felt that the price I gave her was pretty reasonable, but she didn't bite.

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Posts: 3814 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoyed the days when starting out, knock on doors get 80% of the jobs, now knock on doors get 1% & my work is so much better then it was even 10 years ago.

Now I could careless if they want me to do a job, mainly because the industry has been butchered so much, you give a fair bid & what they end up with is depressing at what ever price, there are so few people that really can design & they are not in the sign shops not like they use to be or they are not here & the graphic firms are not much better.

Schooling for advertising must be a thing of the past.

Here the big schools teach how to push the right buttons, make music & shoot videos, even the library does the same.

Are there any advertising schools other the the one Doc teaches at

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[ March 22, 2015, 06:51 PM: Message edited by: Ricardo Davila ]

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1181 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[ March 22, 2015, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: Ricardo Davila ]

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1181 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardo Davila:
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardo Davila:

Craig,

I just found these people ( after I talked to you ), in the area of San Francisco:

http://traditionalsignmaker.com/hand-painted-signs/new-bohemia-sign-painting-course/

I, also, found this interesting article, which I know you are going to like.

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/artisanal-advertising/

RD

[ March 22, 2015, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: Ricardo Davila ]

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Ooops !

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being in a new industry where there are no hard and fast prices fixed to my new line of work, it's always tricky to quote.

I've now learned to 'work with them'... find out their budget, find out their expectations, then tweak from there.

Too high, they sprint! Too low, they all want you and then come back for more of the same.

I call this 'quote to suit'. Because putting a hard and fast price on design / art really isn't applicable. Talent and other things factor in too.

Good luck Alicia! Your work is top notch. Glad you price it accordingly!

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

And it happened again. I quoted a price for an a-frame and a few 18in by 12in aluminum signs. I got the "I'll have to talk it over with my partner" line. And this is from a regular customer who I do a lot so little stuff for. I'll just keep on singing this song in my head,, To dream the imposible dream,,,to charge more for my signs, to reach the imposible,,,,,hummm,higher wages?

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Curt Stenz
Visitor
Member # 82

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Stenz   Email Curt Stenz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alicia, I hate to admit it, but sister, our days are numbered. Dinosaurs eventually become fossils. Keep painti'n girl.

--------------------
Curt Stenz Graphics
700 Squirrel Lane
Marathon, WI 54448

Posts: 590 | From: Marathon, WI 54448 | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Three words:

PAPER SIGNS REVIVAL !!

All it takes is poster paint ( two colors ) and bond paper ( weight 22 lbs )......i.e. a paper sign size 3' x 4' @ $5.00/sq. ft = $60.00 ea/each paper sign.

It should take 10 minutes to do one......So, that is equal to $360/hour !!

Typical amount of copy ( CASUAL LETTERING ) on a paper sign ( Do not use more than two alphabets on each paper sign ):

Name of the product, characteristics of the product and the price of the product.....i.e. PORK CHOPS, $2.00/LB.......That's all !!!.....Of course, make sure that you prioritize the copy, properly, on the paper sign.

Here are some samples of paper signs, which might help you get the idea of what they should look like:

https://www.google.com/search?q=images+of+hand+painted+paper+signs&oq=images+of+hand+painted+paper+signs&aqs=chrome..69i57.23583j0j4&client=tablet-android-asus-rev&sourceid=chrome-mobil e&espv=1&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=-0g2VlN_EVmOOM%253A%3Bundefined%3Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fs-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%252F236x%252Ff6%252Fb2%252Faf%252Ff6b2aff303ba285ae0c0400aa8c198ac.jpg%3Bhttps %253A%252F%252Fwww.pinterest.com%252Felvisvegas%252Fshow-card%252F%3B236%3B341

So, get some bond paper and some poster paint and get to work........You can dooooooit !!

Good luck !!

RD

P.S. ----Target anybody who has storefront windows....Such as: Grocery Stores, Supermarkets, Pawn Shops, Bakeries......etc.

[ March 23, 2015, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: Ricardo Davila ]

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a numbers game in more ways than one. This trade has always been plagued by people working too cheaply. Every town had their "wino joe" and some part timers, now, thanks to the computers, they are everywhere using the Wal Mart mentality. The number of people needing signs hasn't risen in relation to the number of people making signs. I basically threw in the towel as far as sign making went , jeez, it was twenty years ago! My last pair of hand painted magnetics were done in 1992, they went for $115.
It's truly sad to see what happened to a once proud trade but it is what it is.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ive come to the point.........for most of the sign business, its not worth wasting a lot of time for little or no money. i still do a few vinyl jobs, full vans or trucks, boats. as far as banners, magnetics, yard signs.......its now become a side line that i build the sign, make a phone call, send the file. wait a couple days, UPS drops it off here, i make a bill and collect my money)))) didnt even break a sweat, invest tons of money or baby sit a printer)))))

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Yikes!!, I think I got a bite. Gonna have to reel her in slowly as not to spook her.

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

I think i jus set the hook, don't jump off fish!

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Craig Shaw
Visitor
Member # 1036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Shaw   Email Craig Shaw       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That link for paper signs shows a paper sign I painted "Nabisco Chips" they stole from my portfolio on Behance.
https://www.behance.net/gallery/Signs-Logos/3057097
NYC sign & Banner Co. stole my work...oh well, ya learn something everyday. Just happened to stumble on that just now. They're using it to market their work!
Oh, and I hope you got the job Alicia, sees like good work is hard to come by. Some people are seeking out quality work like yours.

--------------------
Craig Shaw
Shaw Signs & Designs
11028 Green Valley Rd.
Sebastopol, CA 95472

Posts: 24 | From: Sebastopol,CA | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!