Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Summa D60 - Skipping

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Summa D60 - Skipping
Tony Broussard
Visitor
Member # 935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Broussard   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Broussard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Guys,

I've been running a Summa D60 for 15 years now. I'm home based and it doesn't get a lot of use.

Lately I've been having problems with it leaving tiny gaps in the cut. It cuts perfectly on 99% of the cuts but there are tiny gaps on the horizontal cuts just before the intersection of a vertical cut, i.e. at the top left of a letter. This is making things a pain to weed.

I spoke to Summa and they suggested I try a new cutting strip and I did that and the problem is still there. They mentioned it may be the cutting head going out and most people just buy a new cutter at that point.

I'm using Vinyl Master Pro to run it if that helps.

Anyone ever experience this? I'd hate to have to buy a new one as all I do are occasional boat numbers now.

Thanks in advance!

--------------------
Tony Broussard
Graphic Details Digital Media
Loreauville, LA

Posts: 395 | From: Loreauville, LA | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Masters
Visitor
Member # 851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Masters   Email Bill Masters   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am having the same problem with my D60 doesn't complete cut, Summa told me my cutting head is bad
it will cost $567.00 and I will have to replace it myself, if they do it I will have to ship it to them and it will cost around a $1000.00. I am using CO-Cut.

--------------------
Bill Masters
Golden Signs
Scranton,PA
signbum@msn.com

Posts: 86 | From: Scranton,PA | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vance Galliher
Visitor
Member # 581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vance Galliher   Author's Homepage   Email Vance Galliher       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I as well am a D60 user...bought refurbished from summa in 1905, and it has been a great machine. but only an average 1-2 hrs work per week. I'm having little problems such as yours now and then. I called summa and as bill, replacement/shipping, and there is a cost involved ! (ha..i still have my original packing box )
things just wear out, and a choice is to be made ? it's a good machine, I don't need anything better...someday i'll get mine fixed

--------------------
vance galliher
springfield,or
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com

Posts: 324 | From: springfield,or. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stein Saether
Resident

Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stein Saether   Email stein Saether       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try increasing the knife pressure.
My Summa 50 left gaps when i switched from 3M regular to 3M Comply, increasing the pressure from 90 to 120 fixed it.

--------------------
Stein Saether
GullSkilt AS
Trondheim

Posts: 1183 | From: Trondheim Norway | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We had a bunch of headaches similar to this and all it took was to replace the blade with a new one.

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4350 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Broussard
Visitor
Member # 935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Broussard   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Broussard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yea I replaced the blade first thing and my pressure is set around 135.

i think i would rather replace the head versus buying a new one. i saw summa doesnt sell a 24" model and the 30" model is 2400

anyone ever change the head themselves? cant be that hard. id rather not shipp this heavy thing to summa and pay for something i can do myself.

thabks for the replies!

--------------------
Tony Broussard
Graphic Details Digital Media
Loreauville, LA

Posts: 395 | From: Loreauville, LA | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vance Galliher
Visitor
Member # 581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vance Galliher   Author's Homepage   Email Vance Galliher       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tony , my summa rep in seattle said it's not that hard...they'll walk you through it. I don't want to ship mine either. it would be 80 bucks each way. but I know i'll have to react someday ! and I hope it's before I have to..

my settings are:
heavy mask 240
light mask 150
vinyl 80
double vinyl 120

but I just play with it till it works

--------------------
vance galliher
springfield,or

Posts: 324 | From: springfield,or. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vance, just how old ar you? [Rolling On The Floor]

quote:
Originally posted by Vance Galliher:
I as well am a D60 user...bought refurbished from summa in 1905, and it has been a great machine.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vance Galliher
Visitor
Member # 581

hahaaaaa...dave, at first I didn't understand what's so funny. I'm getting older, but not that old ! should be 2005,but i'll just leave it as is

--------------------
vance galliher
springfield,or

stein Saether
Resident

Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stein Saether   Email stein Saether       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You move the head back and forth a couplle of times when the cutter is not "on" regurarly to remove dust build up on the rubber driving band ?

--------------------
Stein Saether
GullSkilt AS
Trondheim

Posts: 1183 | From: Trondheim Norway | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Summa 32in cutter also does the very same thing. I think it is due to dirt/dust inside the cutter. I bet if I took the time to clean it. it would cut good again.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!