Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » handlettering classes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: handlettering classes
Donald Thompson
Resident

Member # 3726

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donald Thompson   Author's Homepage   Email Donald Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't want to start a lettering class war between Mike Meyers and Pierre Tardif, but I was wondering today of those who have taken eitherof their classes, what you thought of them. Also, if anyone has taken both of their classes what the differences are. I've talked to 2 other painters in the past 2 weeks and this was part of our discussion. None of us have ever taken either class. If you don't feel comfortable posting on this thread then send me an email,
1signdesigns@backroads.net

--------------------
Donald Thompson
#1 Sign Designs
580 Templeton Rd.
Laurens,SC 29360
864-682-7810
www.1signdesigns.com

Posts: 1525 | From: Laurens, SC | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donald,

Check your e-mail.

RD

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donald, post your email here.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donald Thompson
Resident

Member # 3726

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donald Thompson   Author's Homepage   Email Donald Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the last line of my post

--------------------
Donald Thompson
#1 Sign Designs
580 Templeton Rd.
Laurens,SC 29360
864-682-7810
www.1signdesigns.com

Posts: 1525 | From: Laurens, SC | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phillip Newell
Visitor
Member # 4618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phillip Newell   Author's Homepage   Email Phillip Newell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be interested in knowing too. I was actually just considering signing up for one of the classes. I would love some feedback if anyone is willing

phillip@signamigo.com

--------------------
Phillip Newell
Newell Graphics
1346 Garnet St.
Burlington, IA 52601
319-754-5113

Posts: 187 | From: Henderson, IL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Janzen
Visitor
Member # 7227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Janzen   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Janzen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems like everyone and their dog is putting workshops now. In reality, they're just an introduction to hand lettering, as it takes far more than a two or three day class to master. Then you also have to find a market to use your new found skills. Otherwise it's just a hobby, but a fun one at that. I believe the only school left that has an actual sign painting course is the LA Trade School. It seems to be more about people putting on workshops to make money from the new found interest in sign painting. Just my opinion of course.

--------------------
Streamline Studios Inc.
Calgary. AB
www.streamlinestudios.blogspot.ca

Posts: 220 | From: Calgary, Alberta | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rick,

Thank you for your comments.....I totally agree with you.

If you just want to learn it as a hobby......The classes would be perfect.

However, it takes a lot more than a few hours to learn this trade......a lot more !

RD

[ February 14, 2015, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: Ricardo Davila ]

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donald Thompson
Resident

Member # 3726

My email is

--------------------
Donald Thompson
#1 Sign Designs
580 Templeton Rd.
Laurens,SC 29360
864-682-7810
www.1signdesigns.com

Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never attended a workshop on hand lettering although I have seen demonstrations by both Mike Meyer and Pierre Tardiff. I also host and present workshops of my own on dimensional sign making.

There are many ways to learn and lots of knowledge which is shared out there, especially on the web these days. There are books on most any topic as well. For those who are determined to gather this knowledge it is there for the taking.

Some will simply work their buns off to feed their passion being truly self taught when it is done.

But that being said I believe the workshops are a great way to get a leg up, to acquire a lot of knowledge in a hurry, and in many cases learn from some of the best in the industry. In our workshops I do my very best to share in three long days what took me forty years to gather. We answer every question asked as best you can and hopefully give good value in the process.

Almost without exception we hear how valuable the hands-on portion of our workshops is. There is nothing quite like getting a demonstration and then trying your hand at the same task with a master of the craft standing nearby to offer hints and suggestions to help make you better.

I would suggest you contact those hosting the classes you are considering and ask for some names of those who have attended previously. It's my bet they will happily pass on a name or two where you will get a first hand account and opinion of the material offered.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very well said! [Smile]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anything you can learn about anything you didn't already know seems like a good idea - and it doesn't get any better than Granpa Dan, Mike Meyer, Pierre Tardif and David Smith......

there's also a big Letterhead meet coming up in September at the American Sign Museum where a whole bunch of knowledge will be floating around.

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donald Thompson
Resident

Member # 3726

I know that I learn best by being hands on. I have all of my life no matter what I'm trying to learn. The reason for the post is that I've had several guys that aren't far from my shop that were interested in a lettering class and I didn't know if Mike or Pierre would be interested in hosting a class here at my shop. I've got plenty of room and our weather is usually warmer than Minnesota or Canada.

What is the date of the meet in Cincinnati?

--------------------
Donald Thompson
#1 Sign Designs
580 Templeton Rd.
Laurens,SC 29360
864-682-7810
www.1signdesigns.com

Barb. Shortreed

Member # 1730

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barb. Shortreed   Email Barb. Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Donald...Letterheads 40th Anniversary Meet
September 24-27 – Cincinnati, OH is up on the upcoming events page

Here is a link to their web site http://letterheadsxl.com/
and Todd said the registration forum should be up on April 1st.

[ February 19, 2015, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: Barb. Shortreed ]

--------------------
Barb Shortreed
144 Hill St. E.
Fergus, Ontario

Posts: 2375 | From: Fergus, Ont. | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think if the classes are reasonably priced, say a couple of hundred dollars or so, then they are well worth it..... Knowing the basics like Pierre teaches is Valuable...I believe the old sign meets were all about sharing info, fees to them were just to cover costs... But what do I know.. I have never been lucky enough to attend one.lol

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hand lettered 186,000 windshields and feel I now have the knack down a bit....but hey, I retired! I still am so impressed with Pierre's videos and always learn something from them. What a gem. Would love to take one of the classes, but I am now just painting landscapes.
In all the years I painted signs by hand, I probably learned the most from all of you Letterheads. Which tricks...which brushes...which way to hold my mouth. This has been a fabulous place to see and trade the real info.
..back to my easel where it is warm, sunny and wonderful, here in Santa Fe.
www.McCallFineArt.com to see some of the recent stuff and pics of the expanded gallery.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!